Masculinity is back! The lesbian comics rediscovering their butch side

snoop1130

Masculinity is back! The lesbian comics rediscovering their butch side

By Ella Braidwood

1800.jpg

‘I was made to feel it was negative to be too strong’ … comedian Sarah Keyworth

Sarah Keyworth has, she says, a “weird kind of relationship with masculinity”.

She appears confident in her dapper, boyish looks, with her short quiffed hair, but behind that handsome veneer are insecurities.

“I almost have toxic masculinity,” she says, “in that I can never meet the standards that I think masculinity has. I’m not big and I’m not strong, physically or emotionally.”

And she cries, she says. She cries a lot.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/jan/08/masculinity-is-back-the-lesbian-comics-rediscovering-their-butch-side

To describe this as "masculinity is back" is beyond inane, when discussing most American women. They have been masculine for a long time. What is missing is the femininity. Makes me thoroughly happy to be in Asia, where women are comfortable being women, and acting feminine. It is their most glorious quality. When a Western woman denies the greatest aspect of herself, what is left? Not much in my opinion. But, I must admit I am not among the emasculated Western masses of men, nor the ex-pats who bring that quality over here with them, assuming it is required of them. And for that I am grateful daily. 

News flash. Being an obedient wimp is not required here. Women love a man for being a man here. How refreshing is that? 

• Like 1