Thai woman's account drained at ATM - it wasn't trickery but a "prostitute"!

webfact

Thai woman's account drained at ATM - it wasn't trickery but a "prostitute"!

4pm_VI.jpg

Thai caption: It wasn't trickery - but she lost plenty

Picture: Sanook

A Thai woman who claimed that a person behind her at an ATM touched her neck and caused her to suffer amnesia before stealing her money has been forced to think again. 

And it appears she may have written her PIN number on the card itself.

Bunta, 55, went to reporters at Sanook after her case started to go cold. Someone had removed all the money from her account - 125,900 to be precise. Only ten baht was left. 

Reporters went with her to the BAAC branch in downtown Chumphon where she had used an ATM on an evening in October. 

She had lost her card and said that the machine must have swallowed it. She had claimed that someone had touched her neck while she was transferring money and caused her to come over all funny.

She claimed that the bank was shutting up and advised her that seeing as it was Friday she should wait until Monday and then make a new card.

She did that then checked her account and found it had been cleared of money. 

CCTV footage showed her at machine number 1 then go to machine number 3. She left her ATM card on that machine and went home. 

The manager Thatsanachai said that it was clear she had forgotten her card on the surface of machine 3. 

Several hours later at 3 am in the morning a woman came and found the card lying by the keypad. 

She only needed one press to get the right number. 

(Though the report didn't say as much - the bank manager advised people to never write their PIN number on their cards). 

The woman then continued to extract money from the account. 

A warrant for the arrest of the woman was made on November 1st but nothing has happened. 

The manager suggested that she was a provider of a service to the nighttime community who lived opposite the bank. 

This is a euphemism for a prostitute. 

The manager admitted that the communication from the bank had been poor and he had explained to his staff that they need to improve customer relations. 

Meanwhile Bunta has accused the police of foot dragging with the case unresolved for several months. 

The bank are waiting before deciding on what to do next. Bunta was described as a valued customer. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-09

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, anterian said:

how can one withdraw 125,900 Baht in one or even two days from an ATM.

I have no limit on my daily withdrawals. I have a limit to withdraw 30,000 baht at a time although the most that I have withdrawn in one day so far is 90,000 baht.

i haven't heard this story run for years....

She had claimed that someone had touched her neck while she was transferring money and caused her to come over all funny.

Edited by wombat

4 hours ago, webfact said:

She claimed that the bank was shutting up and advised her that seeing as it was Friday she should wait until Monday and then make a new card.

If that is true then the bank should have cancelled the card there and then, not leave it active over the weekend for someone else to use.  It appears there are three parties guilty here.  The card owner is stupid of gross stupidity for writing her ATM number on her card.  The bank is guilty of negligence for not cancelling the card immediately they were told and the thief is guilty of stealing the money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

Where is the problem? They have videos and for sure the time of the withdrawal. Should be easy to see who took the money. 

'

They know very well who took the money, finding her now is the problem!

1 hour ago, wombat said:

i haven't heard this story run for years....

She had claimed that someone had touched her neck while she was transferring money and caused her to come over all funny.

Well it must of been a ghost as i didn't see anybody close to her.

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:
7 hours ago, Beggar said:

Where is the problem? They have videos and for sure the time of the withdrawal. Should be easy to see who took the money. 

'

They know very well who took the money, finding her now is the problem!

just post the entire video in "farang pub forum" and you'll have rapid response name and tel #

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The manager suggested that she was a provider of a service to the nighttime community who lived opposite the bank. 

And the provider of the night time service suggested that she regarded the institute across the road as also being in the same business as her, ie, screwing people.

• Like 2

Some years ago, my wife's card disappeared without her knowing for several months, We suspected who the thief was, but the bank denied any of the ATM cameras used were working.

So just how many ATM's have working cameras ???, I assumed they all do.

On 1/9/2020 at 11:10 AM, webfact said:

The manager admitted that the communication from the bank had been poor and he had explained to his staff that they need to improve customer relations. 

On 1/9/2020 at 11:10 AM, webfact said:

the bank was shutting up and advised her that seeing as it was Friday she should wait until Monday and then make a new card.

So ........... lazy. incompetent staff & I would say their fault. The lady wanted to cancel the card on the Friday B4 the money was taken. Would you agree?

• Like 1