Giant fish takes bite of German tourist

snoop1130

Giant fish takes bite of German tourist

By The Nation

800_528aab1f509a334.jpg

A 75-year-old German tourist was attacked by an unidentified giant fish when swimming off Nang Thong Beach in Phang Nga province with his wife. The incident resulted in gaping wounds on his right leg and had to be immediately sent for treatment at a hospital in Phuket.

The wounds on his right leg were 20 centimetres deep and the tendons were ripped apart but doctors managed to reattach the tendons and treat his wounds.

The incident occurred 6 – 7 metres from the shore to the horror of beach goers. The situation eased after no big marine creature was spotted in the water.

Marine scientist Thon Thamrongnawasawat of Kasetsart University posted on his Facebook account that the wounds suggested that it might be a bowl shark that rarely comes close to Thai coasts. It does not normally attack humans but it might have mistaken the victim as prey due to low visibility under unclear water.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380495

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-13

43 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

He must have some size legs !! 

20cm would have been right through mine ????

Long and deep in English  is difficult to know the difference for Thai journalist you know     lol

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, david555 said:

Long and deep in English  is difficult to know the difference for Thai journalist you know     lol

Auto translate isn't always accurate, Facebook comments translated from Thai to

English often get gender mixed up, so I wouldn't automatically say it was the original

journalists fault.

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

Still safer in the water than on the road getting there.  And not just in Thailand.

add them together and it makes for a very challenging holiday experience, if the minibus doesn't get you there's a big man eating shark waiting at the beach 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tourist attacked by a small shark near beach in Phang-nga

shark-bite.jpg

A tourist was attacked by a shark, believed to be a small bull shark, as he was swimming in the sea off a beach in Thailand’s southern coastal province of Phang-nga on Sunday.

The victim was not identified, but his condition is not serious and he has been treated at the provincial hospital.

Marine expert and vice dean of the Faculty of Fisheries of Kasetsart University, Dr. Thorn Thamrongnawasawat, said on his Facebook page today that shark attacks are very rare in Thailand, with the last one happening in Phuket in 2017, with all attacks being attributed to small bull or blacktip reef sharks.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tourist-attacked-by-a-small-shark-near-beach-in-phang-nga/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It does not normally attack humans but it might have mistaken the victim as prey due to low visibility under unclear water.

I wasn't aware that sharks know humans aren't part of the food chain ????

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A 75-year-old German tourist was attacked by an unidentified giant fish when swimming off Nang Thong Beach in Phang Nga province with his wife.

I suppose it makes a change from being a target of the land sharks......

Suspect is a bull shark I think - there was similar incident a year or so ago off Prechuab.

Longest wound I see (Thai Ger pic (below)) is probably about 20cm long but with a shallower circular one much longer.

Depth not sure but certainly not 20cm! Very nasty anyway. Shark bite for sure.

75 year old tourist ‘attacked’ by small unidentified shark in Phang Nga | The Thaiger

• Like 1

Blimey, that does look nasty.

Looks like it left a perfect bite radius imprint from which to estimate shark size. 

I have no qualifications whatsoever (apart from watching Jaws & NatGeo) but based on the relative size on a human lower leg, I would estimate 3-4 feet long. 

13 hours ago, impulse said:

Bowl shark?  Even Google is no help there.

Maybe bull shark? 

Still safer in the water than on the road getting there.  And not just in Thailand.

The only bowl shark i found with google is this one.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor bowl shark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, impulse said:

Bowl shark?  Even Google is no help there.

Maybe bull shark? 

Yes....I would think bull shark too.....20mm deep wounds seem about right

• Like 1