Downloading Music

Mobi

I just wanted to report that the problems I was having with my dll files in the wrong location was nothing to do with downloading music and music players - it was just a coincidence - and I have now fixed the problem with the help of TV (who else?) and a Microsoft Hotfix.

So I downloaded Limewire again - and it works very well and have downloaded loads of songs.

I will just use I Tunes for the stuff I can't get elsewhere.

So thanks for all the advice - I will get into 'torrents' later.

One step at a time for this old timer :o

im using torrent good selection but sloooooow down loads any ideas please bearshare is faster not had any problems with true only blocked a flight ticket site ????? and of course you tube but i must agree its quicker and cheaper to just go buy the cd or dvd you want good place in bangkok is it plaza near big c chit lom

Edited by colino

• 2 weeks later...

I have signed up with both Virgin and HMV digital downloads in the U.K. with U.K. credit card downloads around .89p a song as you say.

However I cannot sign up to any U.S. sites with U.K. credit card where downloads are about .99c a song and you may be aware that Apple are in court in Europe over illegal restrictive pricing there.

All this adds up to a rip off as far as I am concerned so I now endeavor to rip those guys off!! :o

I'm doing very well with Limewire and Frostwire. They are file/music sharing sites, which as far as I can determine are completely legal.

I have been having good success with finding the songs I want, even if I have to try a few times when there are enough people on line around the world from whom I can download. Once you've instigated a search for a song, you can renew it by a simple click evry time you are on line, and sooner or later you get what you want.

The downloads are in good quality MP3 format, and are not copy protected like I Tunes. And are free!!

Can someone please explain to an idiot what 'torrents' are, and how do I access them etc.

Thanks

Pushing the legality issue asside for a momment, possibly the best way of downloading music (or anything really) is usenet as mentioned by a poster above.

You need:

<snip>

The main benefit of this method is that you are not expected to upload anything, you don't have to give part up your upload bandwidth and share files.

Edited by Totster
See forum rules

I suppose I'm a averagely competent, if somewhat ancient, computer user, and I frequently download software programmes, and the odd video clip etc, and with the kind help of the folk on this forum , I can now download and make my own MP's of radio streams, but for some reason have never got into downloading music.

Now the wife and son are getting into computers, they are asking me about music downloads, and to be honest it is something I would also like to do - but of course my choice of music would be very different from theirs.

When I look on the net, I am bewildered by the vast array of sites that offer music downloads - free or otherwise, and I really don't know where to start. I don't mind paying for music, but would prefer to pay for single tracks rather than albums, but here again, I have no idea as to which sites I should be signing up to, or giving out my credit card details to. It goes without saying that I am not averse to getting free music if it is legitimately available.

My media player of choice is Real Player, but I could use Windows Media Player, and I have also downloaded I-Tunes player. Even the few free tracks I have managed to download off one site don't seem to be transferred into my player's library, and I can't figure out how to do it. Also I have 'clicked on a number of links where it says 'download', and nothing has happened.

Is there an idiot's guide to how to download music and store it, and can anyone recommend some sites to try? I'm really not into the latest pop, and would prefer links to back-catalogue type of stuff.

Thanks for any advice/help

Mobi

the best "free"downloadsite at this moment (and legal aswell) is i mesh

www.imesh.com

very good ... very quick !!!

good luck

thaikunning :o

it in't that great dude. Anything "premium" costs money.

Which is fine, though, as nothing free is entirely legal with regards to music and movie downloads

There is some accessiblity on imesh that is free, but ultimately, it ain't that great.

There are far better sites/

Yep that's the only way, bin doing it for years with zero problems, download what you want when you want it. But don't tell everyone or they will all be chasing down newsgroup servers.

It does take a little setting up but well worth the effort.

I will add http://www.emusic.com to the list of sites to try. For 10 USD per month, one gets 30 tracks to download (MP3 format). The selection of music available is very wide, however there are very few mainstream artists. There are no restrictions on the use of the tracks you buy.

The drawback is that you can't accumulate tracks: You have to download 30 tracks every month or lose them.

Their marketing department offers 25 free tracks upon signing up (just cancel the account immediately if you want only the free tracks - I did so and was offered 80 tracks for 10 USD 6 month later as a re-activation offer).

No problem to use the site from Thailand, using a UK credit card.

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose I'm a averagely competent, if somewhat ancient, computer user, and I frequently download software programmes, and the odd video clip etc, and with the kind help of the folk on this forum , I can now download and make my own MP's of radio streams, but for some reason have never got into downloading music.

Now the wife and son are getting into computers, they are asking me about music downloads, and to be honest it is something I would also like to do - but of course my choice of music would be very different from theirs.

When I look on the net, I am bewildered by the vast array of sites that offer music downloads - free or otherwise, and I really don't know where to start. I don't mind paying for music, but would prefer to pay for single tracks rather than albums, but here again, I have no idea as to which sites I should be signing up to, or giving out my credit card details to. It goes without saying that I am not averse to getting free music if it is legitimately available.

My media player of choice is Real Player, but I could use Windows Media Player, and I have also downloaded I-Tunes player. Even the few free tracks I have managed to download off one site don't seem to be transferred into my player's library, and I can't figure out how to do it. Also I have 'clicked on a number of links where it says 'download', and nothing has happened.

Is there an idiot's guide to how to download music and store it, and can anyone recommend some sites to try? I'm really not into the latest pop, and would prefer links to back-catalogue type of stuff.

Thanks for any advice/help

Mobi

I use limewire free version twice a year , down load 5-10 gigs of music back up all on Dvd's after testing for viruses. I stay away from the adult movies as they tend to have the creepy crawleys in em.

when you download only download mp3's I have found most viruses to be in the media style files!

If your file has 141 kbs you know it is not a music file , Usually will be 2000kbs up to mb's not nit naui numbers &

never ever ever get suckered into a program download as you will most likely get a virus . This is a breeding ground for hackers to do mayhem on your computer. I am overly paranoid & after checking for viruses(before previewing the music) then I burn the discs & when I am finished I reformat the computer.

Maybe I am a freak but they only charge 100 baht to reformat & it coinsides with the recommended time to reformat xp anyway.

3 years with avast antivirus & reformating & ZERO viruses! Lime wire may take a while to download so figure out all you want & let your computer do the work , some will download while less popular songs will stop downloading

in midstream, but it is well worth the wait . I have totally rebuilt my 60's-2007 rock collection along with the modern hip hop & dance stuff!

Edited by Beardog