UK will not automatically deport EU nationals after Brexit - Verhofstadt

rooster59

UK will not automatically deport EU nationals after Brexit - Verhofstadt

2020-01-17T211116Z_2_LYNXMPEG0G0ZJ_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-EU-PARLIAMENT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Guy Verhofstadt, the EU Parliament's Brexit steering group coordinator, speaks during a debate on Brexit at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France, September 18, 2019. REUTERS/Vincent Kessler

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will not automatically deport European Union citizens who have not applied for the right to remain in the country after Brexit, European Parliament Brexit coordinator Guy Verhofstadt said on Friday.

Verhofstadt, who met with British ministers including Brexit minister Stephen Barclay on Thursday, said he had been reassured there would be a grace period for those who have not applied for Britain's "settled status" scheme by the June 2021 deadline.

"What will happen for those people even after the grace period? Well there will be no automatic deportation," Verhofstadt told BBC Radio.

"After the grace period they will have a possibility to apply, giving the grounds why it was not possible to do it within the normal procedures."

Asked about Verhofstadt's comments, Prime Minister Boris Johnson's spokesman confirmed there would be no automatic deportation.

Reuters reported in November that Britain was threatening to deport EU citizens if they failed to apply on time and would grant leniency only in exceptional circumstances.

As of the end of last year, more than 2.7 million of the estimated 3.5 million EU nationals living in Britain had applied. Earlier this week the EU expressed concerns over "conflicting signals" on what would happen to those who fail to do so in time.

Britain is set to leave the EU on Jan. 31 after agreeing a divorce deal late last year but will remain bound by all the bloc's rules until the end of 2020 under an agreed transition phase aimed at smoothing its exit.

Verhofstadt also said EU citizens who are granted settled status want to be given a physical document so they can prove they have the right to remain. He said Britain had told him it was looking into the possibility of this.

Johnson's spokesman said he was not aware of any planned change.

"The settlement scheme will grant people a secure digital status which future proofs their rights and links to their passport and ID card," he said.

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; editing by Sarah Young)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-18
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Brigand said:

Verhofstadt is the poster boy for all that is wrong with the EU and every time he opens his poisonous mouth he scores massive own goals looking like an intolerant lefty fascist ranting and raving plus spitting the dummy out all the time... just reinforces that the UK made the right decision to leave if he is an example of who is running the show over there. I can't believe that Brussels hasn't reeled him in and taken him off PR duty for the EU as he is a disaster. Horrible little octopus he is and also a bit of vitamin D and B wouldn't go amiss as looks like he could be an extra in the Walking Dead series.

you don't know much about EU do you?

Verhofstadt is an elected politician, not chuckable by EU officials,

pretty much like your beloved J Corbyn

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Of course they won't. PC reigns. They'd sooner boot out a Briton with connections with Ethelred.

For the record, Verhofstadt is a ****!

What a luck, Boris never lied... NEVER.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

The elephant in the room is his ancestor, mind you the same as a lot of the senior unelected rulers. I will be very happy when my country stops sending child benifit to other countries and ecstatic when benifit is stopped for all non Brits. 

52 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

The elephant in the room is his ancestor, mind you the same as a lot of the senior unelected rulers. I will be very happy when my country stops sending child benifit to other countries and ecstatic when benifit is stopped for all non Brits. 

Many EU criminals somehow seem to languish in the UK without the threat of deportation.  For the others who have still not formalised their right to stay in the UK, he government would not have to deport any of them. Simply stopping their benefits would see a mass exodus. That would be the freedom of movement back home.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Of course they won't. PC reigns. They'd sooner boot out a Briton with connections with Ethelred.

For the record, Verhofstadt is a ****!

I find it funny that only reliable source of information, what the UK government plans, comes from EU counterparts.

Verhofstadt is outspoken and don't like to sugarcoat the words for English and Wales audiences. I like it. It's fresh wind on international politics, even if it might hurt some folks, who wish to stay uninformed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Of course they won’t be deported that was a strawman argument from Remainers to allow them to accuse Leavers of being racist, xenophobic etc.

Peoject fear is being deconstructed one brick at a time. Very satisfying.

UK is about to keep the unwanted immigrants, while people of skills and abilities, will flee the country to find better places to live. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Loon ????

Care to explain, why a skilled and free to move worker from EU would like to stay in England after Brexit?

I can understand the reasons of people with families, specially with local families. But if a person have what it takes to live in different countries, then why not to move from UK to a country, which people actually appreciate his presence? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

The most obvious answer is that the UK is (despite your accusations) one of the least racial countries of the EU, I can only assume you may be a poor loser who does not believe in democracy.

Care to define Englishness?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, geisha said:

Well, to be fair, we have all been warned for ages now that you have to get your papers in order and apply. I’m British living in France and have done all the necessary paper work, applied and received, my residence card and work permit , and so have all my friends. Why wait until the last minute ? It won’t go away !

how many people in the UK might be affected?

13 hours ago, geisha said:

Well, to be fair, we have all been warned for ages now that you have to get your papers in order and apply. I’m British living in France and have done all the necessary paper work, applied and received, my residence card and work permit , and so have all my friends. Why wait until the last minute ? It won’t go away !

It's fair to expect people do the extra paperwork Brexit causes. 

But that is just the first phase of this multi decade separation, which is about to happen.

While British people are showing the door to many EU citizens, making them feel unwelcome, even if they have settled status, that bad feeling towards fellow countrymen will resonate to you as well. 

Even if you have your paperwork in good order, be prepared that French people around you and your friends, might not feel too much love to the British people during the real Brexit over the next few decades. 

Things are not going to be so smooth when things start to heat up. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, geisha said:

Could it maybe be that it is better organized in E.U. the administration for it ?And so you where able to arrange all swiftly ?

As it seems in the U.K. all is turning square ...as even criminal data is not Send to Europe from E.U . criminals in the U.K. and even tried to cover up as now is exposed ! 

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheDark said:

Care to explain, why a skilled and free to move worker from EU would like to stay in England after Brexit?

Money. That's why they were all attracted the UK in the first place and will continue to be so long after Brexit.

The skilled ones are prepared to work for it and are well rewarded in return. Others with no skills prefer the free money in benefits and state handouts. What the indigenous population thinks about either of the two categories just doesn't come into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, geisha said:

You have to that in France as I have to in the Netherlands,everybody in France and in the Netherlands are required to have identification on them,register with the local authorities with an address etc etc.

Non of that is a legal requirement in the UK.

• Haha 1