Chiang Mai: Sriprakard Guest House

jarman_ah

I have the name (Sriprakard Guest House, altough maybe there are other spellings), I have the general location (down by the riverside), I have some photographs (wow!), I have some historical data, and I sure do have the urge to spend a couple of nights there...... but I can't find the street address, an email address, a telephone number, or any contact information at all. Are there any Chiang Mai experts here who can tell me how best to contact this place?

Thanks for all help!

Stripdnaked Guest House ..Huh////

I live by the river and not to far from the Riverside Restaurant if thats what you are referring to, and have for years, but I have never heard of this guest house..... or anything that may be like that phonetically..

Perhaps if you are able to post a photo, it may help

Gonzo

Gonzo, here's a whole website with several photos, a history, and a description:

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/001/features.shtml

Among other things, this website says that it is "a budget priced hotel, but is one that has had a long and interesting history, and is a landmark in Chiang Mai. It is regarded as one of the oldest buildings remaining in Chiang Mai that hasn’t undergone major changes.The Sriprakard is located the east bank of the Ping River on the Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road, near the Lamphun bus terminal, and very close to the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar. The guesthouse offers views of boats cruising along the Ping River and Doi Suthep Mountain off in the distance. Ping River bridges and other city landmarks, such as a Christian church, institutions and other old buildings are nearby. At present, Ms Buachaorn Wichayapai and her daughter Ms. Kingkaew Sucharitpanich look after the hotel and guesthouse."

Does this ring any bells? If not, I bet te photos (not sure if I can paste them here) will!

Since you live nearby, I'd be very grateful if you'd check this out for me! It sounds like (and looks like) a pretty unique place... hope they haven't torn it down to build a Holiday Inn!

J man, very interesting article....

Maybe the name has been changed to another, and someone else will have that information.... I note that the article is dated October 2002, so maybe it has been redone..

From the photos it does look as if it is close enough to the river to be affected by the flooding, so that would narrow it down somewhat....

If someone does not post more on the place, I am now just curious enough to go out and try and find the place here in the next couple days.

This sounds like and looks like it may be somewhere near "The Dukes" place..... If so, some of the other prolific posters in that thread may be able to give more imput.

Shame that the writer of the article did not write of the address and/or give a phone number or contact info.

Good Luck and if I find out more I will post again.

Gonzo

Gonzo, if you do stay curious, and you DO go and have a look at the place, I will be very happy indeed!

Since it has been standing for more than a hundred years, I would imagine that it is not unused to withstanding floods.

If you don't actually stroll down to see it, could you check in a telephone book? I have a feeling you will be the only respondent to my request, and I wouldn't like you to lose interest!!

Thanks!

Gonzo, I found a second reference which should help you locate it in a hurry.... this one spells the name as two words, which looks a little better also. Here is a cut-and-paste:

"...started from the office of the Tourism Authority of Thailand on Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road. We strolled along the riverside footpath, headed north to Nawarat Bridge. About 100m from the Chiang Mai Christian School, our guide Prof Chusit showed me the 100-year-old wooden house and hotel.

This house belonged to Sri Mo, the first person to travel from Chiang Mai to the US, 100 years ago.

For two generations, the house was a primary school, then a private zoo, then the city's first printing shop. Later, Sri Mo's descendants sold the house to Luang Sri Prakard, who started the hotel business, the current use of the building.

Next to the Sri Prakard Hotel, on the east of Nawarat Bridge, is Chiang Mai's first Christian church, hidden in the shade of trees. "During the Second World War the Japanese removed the top of the church's belltower and installed an anti-aircraft gun." "

Hope that makes your exploration a little faster!

Sri Prakard must be the old hotel at the Lampang bus stop set slightly back from the road. It looks like a large old Thai house. I don't think it runs as a hotel anymore but maybe I am wrong.

Theres a place next door selling bamboo furniture and a bit further is the new Tea Vana.

Back again Jarman

Well I don't think you will be staying at this place.......

Its only occupants would appear to be [if this place wasn't there] the almost homeless..... very nice looking place it would have been in its day.... but now many dogs and a few samlor drivers , and some poor souls are the only ones there..... with the possible exception of a few 'haints'...

Here are a couple of current photos...

post-22124-1175772447_thumb.jpg

post-22124-1175772496_thumb.jpg

post-22124-1175772382_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Thanks to both of you.... Gonzo, I got your private message and have sent you a reply.

I note that the photograph mentions not "Sriprakard Guest House" but Sriprakas Hotel". Maybe THAT spelling would have brought up extra google references!

Even with your decription of the semi-homeless and dogs, I still think, from your photos, that it looks wonderful! However, I take your point that it's not a place where tourists -- even ones as poor as we -- would be welcome. Strictly for locals, it seems!

But I will, for sure, stroll down past it when we land in Chiang Mai! I think a day around the river would beat shopping for fake brands in the market hands down!

Thanks again!