Understanding The Scam

DogNo1

Three days ago, I purchased three 450 gram plastic containers of fresh black cherries at a supermarket in the Rajaprasong area.  A large sign above the cherries showed that they were marked down from 599 to 279.  I asked a worker in that section to pick out three containers of sweet cherries for me.  From among the hundreds of boxes, she  chose three and put them in my cart.  When I got to checkout, the boxes rang up at prices ranging from 400 to 500 baht each.  A sticker had been applied to the side of each box with its weight and that price.  I told the checker that I had intended to buy the cherries for 279 each.  She took the boxes back to the produce section and returned with three boxes with a sticker on the bottom showing a price of 279  and that's what I paid.  Today I was back in the supermarket and bought three more boxes of cherries.  I looked through the stack of boxes and didn't find any without the regular 279 sticker on the bottom.   I am certain that there were no cherries anywhere in that area that were priced other than 279 per box.  I am mystified.   Why would a produce worker put a higher price on a 279 baht box of cherries.  Would this just be an inadvertent mistake?  Could it be a scam in some way?

Thanks.  I now know to be careful and double-check the prices.  Perhaps I'll take it up with the management the next time I am overcharged.  I don't know how much of a hassle that will turn out to be but if I am charged the wrong price I would then like to get the item for free.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Why would a produce worker put a higher price on a 279 baht box of cherries.  Would this just be an inadvertent mistake?  Could it be a scam in some way?

Or why would they put a lower price sticker on a package that has a higher price sticker on it already?

Because the stuff is nearer the sell-by date and is discounted. Some places like some branches of Big C place the new, lower, end-of-day price sticker partially over the original, higher-priced sticker while some other branches of Big C will use the yellow 'discount' price stickers for the 'new low price.'

Scam? What scam?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Thanks.  I now know to be careful and double-check the prices.  Perhaps I'll take it up with the management the next time I am overcharged.  I don't know how much of a hassle that will turn out to be but if I am charged the wrong price I would then like to get the item for free.

Yes if you want them to stop scamming the customers you have to speak to the manager....it's the only way to stop it except for writing it on every forum as well. You can also email them.

Was the price not per Kilo,different weights in the boxes

meaning different prices on the boxes.

You have to be wary buying anything here, when I go

shopping I have a list ,put the price next to it,add others

that I see, add total and that is what I expect to pay,in

the past maybe just 5 Thb more, but can be 50 - 270 Thb

the most it was over,and happens more than you might

think, never once has it been to my benefit.

regards Worgeordie

24 minutes ago, Thian said:

Yes if you want them to stop scamming the customers you have to speak to the manager....it's the only way to stop it except for writing it on every forum as well. You can also email them.

Yes, complain to everybody. 

Complain on the forum! Be helpful.

18 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

I purchased three 450 gram plastic containers of fresh black cherries at a supermarket in the Rajaprasong area.  A large sign above the cherries showed that they were marked down from 599 to 279.  

When I got to checkout, the boxes rang up at prices ranging from 400 to 500 baht each. A sticker had been applied to the side of each box with its weight and that price.

Those prices are per kilo, as you pointed out yourself, that's why they are all different prices, it's not a scam!  Tops and Villa do the same.

Edited by Just Weird

8 hours ago, Thian said:

...or you can just read the price notice which shows that the prepacked fruit are priced per kilo, not per pack!  There is no scam.

17 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Why bother?

The price was not per kilo.  It was per box and I had bought many boxes previously at 279 per box.  As I said, I returned three days later and examined many boxes in the stack of hundreds and found that they all had mass-printed stickers of 279 on their bottoms.  The ones that I bought were boxes with a computed price according to weight stuck to their sides.  It is interesting that the produce worker took them out of the stack of boxes priced at 279 and that each  box that she put in my cart was accordingly overpriced.  So it wasn't a coincidence.  There many imaginable ways that the overpricing could have happened but since each box that I received was overpriced it doesn't seem to be just happenstance.

ok here goes......

if the box weighs 450g and the price is 599/kg, low and behold, a 450g box will cost.... 269 baht and 55 s'tang. the scam is they rounded the price down?

599 x 450 = 269.55

hope that clears it up....

“Why would a produce worker put a higher price on a 279 baht box of cherries.”

Why indeed? Because they didn’t 

Would this just be an inadvertent mistake?

Likely some kind of mistake. You asked for the sweet cherries, maybe the ones you got weren’t on sale, or had not be re-marked.

Could it be a scam in some way?

Not likely 

16 minutes ago, Thainess said:

279 baht for a tub of cherries = £7. In the UK, a tub of cherries is £2 (400 g). You were still ripped off even at the "massive discount" of 279 baht!

You forgot to figure in the price of a return flight to the UK :coffee1:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The price had been 599 per box before it was reduced to 279 per box.  Recent arrival cherries were sold at a different location at a per kilo price but not from the stack of boxes being sold for 279 each.  I watched the woman pull my three boxes from that stack.  Some worker could have misplaced the higher priced cherries weighed out for a customer who then didn't take them but it seems to be more than a coincidence that the very three boxes that a worker selected for me from the 279 per box stack were overpriced.  Whatever the error, I will carefully examine all price tags and prices rung up in the future.