Phuket woman arrested for stealing car she rented to Chinese woman

snoop1130

Phuket woman arrested for stealing car she rented to Chinese woman

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1579605696_1-org.jpg

Rungthiwa Khummit (left, seated), 38, presented herself at Wichit Police Station today (Jan 21). Photo: Wichit Police

PHUKET:-- A 38-year-old Thai woman has been charged with theft and fraud after she rented a car and then rented the same car out to a Chinese woman living on the island – and then stole the car from the Chinese woman, while the car contained personal items valued at more than B100,000.

The Thai woman, Phuket native Rungthiwa Khummit, 38, presented herself at Wichit Police Station, at 10am today (Jan 21), explained Lt Col Narong Muangdueng of the Wichit Police.

Lt Col Narong said that police first became aware of the case last Friday (Jan 17) when the Chinese woman, who he named in Thai as Zhen Xiaoxian, filed a report to Wichit Police that a grey Phuket-registered Toyota Yaris that she had rented for four months had been stolen.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-woman-arrested-for-stealing-car-she-rented-to-chinese-woman-74478.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-01-21
  • Haha 2

Interesting racket by the Thai lady. In the car hire business without owning a vehicle herself.  she was re-renting a hire car, presumably at a higher rate than she had paid,

She rented it out to the Chinese lady for a year, but stole it back after 4 months because she wanted it for another customer.

Intriguing is what the Chinese lady may have had in the car worth 108,500.

Perhaps wedding photography equipment? (pure speculation)

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2020 at 6:25 AM, ChipButty said:

Been going on for years down here in Phuket, infact I knew a Thai guy who wouldn't rent to Thais'

Same here.  My wife (Thai) tried to rent a car in Phuket and we had to put it under my passport instead.  I was confused as to why they wouldn't rent to another Thai ... until now.

(A lot of the bike shops were the same.)