Proton VPN

Speedo1968

Any one using Proton ( free ) VPN ?

I have Browsec ( free ) with Firefox but very slow.

I tried Kaspersky's VPN which seemed to work reasonably well, at first.

I have downloaded and installed Proton, it is asking for a username and password, why is this ?   I have not done this as yet.  It was not requested with Browsec.

I can't fathom out if I have to load Proton after opening my browser or not as in the blurb about the VPN it said better to load before opening browser.
Browsec is attached with Firefox but Proton seems to stand alone, does it mean that it will start working with which ever browser I open ?

Edited by Speedo1968

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

I have downloaded and installed Proton, it is asking for a username and password, why is this ?

It is asking you to create an account to allow you to use their system!

BTW, IMO free VPNs can be dangerous and should only be used to get an occasional connection that you are not allowed to access from your actual location.

Proton, which also offers free encrypted email (and paid services), is the love child of some geeks at CERN. It's a business, but with brains and integrity. I've used them for some time now without problem. (The free email is very limited, however.)

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

It is asking you to create an account to allow you to use their system!

BTW, IMO free VPNs can be dangerous and should only be used to get an occasional connection that you are not allowed to access from your actual location.

Thanks for your concern.

I have used Kaspersky Total Security for some time and find it works well.   

I tried Kaspersky Secure Connection for a year found it ok at first but it is really quite limited in VPN connections.    I was hoping it would help with some TV series downloads and UK radio but have since found other workarounds that work most of the time.

2 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Proton, which also offers free encrypted email (and paid services), is the love child of some geeks at CERN. It's a business, but with brains and integrity. I've used them for some time now without problem. (The free email is very limited, however.)

Thanks for that.
I have a good email provider for many years now and, having retired some years ago from freelancing I don't use it for sending reports anywhere anymore.     It ( email ) is limited in the size of files so I guess I may have to brave the world of Smart phones .... !

11 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks for your concern.

I have used Kaspersky Total Security for some time and find it works well.   

I tried Kaspersky Secure Connection for a year found it ok at first but it is really quite limited in VPN connections.    I was hoping it would help with some TV series downloads and UK radio but have since found other workarounds that work most of the time.

You do not need a VPN for BBC UK radio, only telly. And download your TV series via a torrent. Done.