Duplicate Thai birth certificate

Hi All,

My Thai wife and I are both living in North Carolina, I am British and here on an L1B visa and my wife is L2.

I am in the process of getting and EB Green card and I will be putting my wife as a dependent on the I140. I'm not 100% on this but I think we need both need out birth certs. Does anyone know how a Thai living in the USA can get a duplicate birth cert please?

Thanks,

You can get a copy from the local Amphur office where she was registered. Depending on how old your wife is will determine what level of record keeping they had in place back when she is born.

I recently had to get a copy for my girlfriend and what we got back looked nothing like a birth certificate, it was a photocopy of what looked like hand doodles. Nevertheless it did have a certification stamp and i also had it translated and it came back with all here details correct.

If your wife still has family where she was born ask them to go to the office and get a copy. It isn't expensive, maybe 40baht.

Thanks guys for the replies.

My wife's sister is happy to go to the local Amphur and try and get a copy of my wife's birth certificate.

I reached out to the Thai embassy in Washington and they seem to think that I would need a power of attorney given to my wife's sister to allow her to act for wife.

Has anyone done a power of attorney in Thailand? Does the signature have to be notarized? Does anyone know if it needs a wet signature please? I'm guessing it needs to be in Thai language?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived