Any recent experience at Kohn Kaen Vietnam embassy?

Hello,

Wonder if anyone has had any experience at the VN Consulate in Kohn Kaen recently. They don't seem to pick up their phone or answer emails. And yes I am well aware of the TET holiday times, and everything is back in action here in Saigon. Need to renew my visa and just takes sooo long in BKK.

I do recall asking them about their services a couple of years ago where I was seeking a particular type of offshore work enabling Vietnam visa. I did get a standard response that didn't address my specific needs beyond suggesting if I had further questions, I should speak to their 'horses mouth' in Bangkok. I reckon their Consulate in KK is primarily to support the large Vietnamese community in Isaan and not so much the itinerant foreigner.

The blow back from Tet tends to extend beyond the official start and end dates. For a Vietnamese government entity outside of Vietnam and out in the provinces, I would give them another 10 days.

On 1/30/2020 at 1:13 PM, elephant45 said:

thanks, so you  are saying that coming from chiang mai to get a visa there is not worth the effort?

I live in CM and just last week applied for a month tourist evisa online. Simple, quick and no additional visa service fees! 

Took 3 days to receive my eVisa. 

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

On 1/30/2020 at 12:08 PM, NanLaew said:

I do recall asking them about their services a couple of years ago where I was seeking a particular type of offshore work enabling Vietnam visa. I did get a standard response that didn't address my specific needs beyond suggesting if I had further questions, I should speak to their 'horses mouth' in Bangkok. I reckon their Consulate in KK is primarily to support the large Vietnamese community in Isaan and not so much the itinerant foreigner.

The blow back from Tet tends to extend beyond the official start and end dates. For a Vietnamese government entity outside of Vietnam and out in the provinces, I would give them another 10 days.

I'm in KK 12 yrs now. Never knew there is a large Vietnamese community here. Where are they hiding?

• Haha 1

My friend got a visa from there recently without any problems.

He was the only customer.

You have to buzz from the roadside gate to be let in.

All done in 1 hour but make sure you go early morning. 

If you go near lunchtime you will have to go back in the afternoon to collect.

16 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I'm in KK 12 yrs now. Never knew there is a large Vietnamese community here. Where are they hiding?

In plain sight? The Udon Immigration office is also busy every day with the many Vietnamese that are living and working in Isaan doing the same stuff that us privileged white folks complain about such as getting extensions and filing 90-day reports and the like.

Here's a clue. They look just like the locals.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

My friend got a visa from there recently without any problems.

He was the only customer.

You have to buzz from the roadside gate to be let in.

All done in 1 hour but make sure you go early morning. 

If you go near lunchtime you will have to go back in the afternoon to collect.

Good info Andy, thanks.

Reminds me of me and my mate getting a Ghana visa at their Honorary Consul in Houston which was mostly done by phone and email. When we went to collect, the Hon Consul, one of those famous Texan 'big hair' ladies had gone shopping at the Galleria but left our passports with visas with her housekeeper who collected the fee in cash. The passports came with a note that she had forgotten to ask how long we would be in Ghana for or if we would be working so she just went ahead and gave us both 10-year multi-entry visas for the same price as a regular single. Handy as I picked up 3 more contracts there over the years.