TransferWise debit card pin

I recently got a TransferWise debit card and loaded my THB balance.  I used it in Tesco/Big C/Central/Home Pro and a 3BB store and maybe some other places and not once was I asked to enter my pin.  Most times I heard the receipt being printed which was just handed back to me with my card.

I contacted TransferWise and they said this is down to the retailer.  I did receive a notification from the app immeditaly telling me exacty details of the transaction, so in the same way if I lost my card and someone used it I would also know quite quickly.  Still I would assume a chip and pin card would require a pin.

25 minutes ago, damole said:

used it in Tesco/Big C/Central/Home Pro and a 3BB store and maybe some other places and not once was I asked to enter my pin. 

They seem to waive PIN entry up to a certain amount.

Seen something like 1500(?) Baht at Tesco.

Did you have higher amounts?

Edited by KhunBENQ

When it comes to a Chip & PIN card unless the card issuer has coded the card to always require a PIN entry (no exception...no PIN, no transaction) then it's up to the merchant whether they will process the transaction as PIN entry required, Signature Required, or for Visa/Mastercard if less than Bt1,500 (approx $50 USD) with no PIN or signature at all.  

Few card-issuers issue cards that "absolutely, always require a PIN, no PIN entry then no deal." But I do think the Bangkok Bank UnionPay debit/credit card is one of the few that does always require a PIN but that's a UnionPay hard requirement.

The card issuer (like Transferwise) may code their card to "prefer/desire" a PIN entry as first choice and as second choice Signature Only, but if the merchant's Point of Service (POS) machine they insert your card in is setup to prefer Signature Only (unless less that Bt1,500 where no signature is required), then the card will say to the POS machine, "OK, I would prefer PIN entry but I'm still OK with Signature Only or no signature required."   The POS machine responds with "OK, let's go with Signature Only or since the transaction is less than Bt1,500 no signature at all."  

Yeap, when your card is inserted into a POS machine there is communications between the card and machine to agreed to how the transaction will occur...all occurring in a split second.   And like it or not most merchants do not like having to do PIN entry transactions because of extra equipment costs, customers forgetting their PINs, the PIN entry process generally slowing down the checkout process---that is, it can impact/decrease sales. 

And Visa/Mastercard go along with this merchant point of view because unless the merchant uses the card to process a sale then Visa/Mastercard do not earn an interchange fee for processing the transaction.  Yes, Sales (Profits) still override Security/Prevent Fraudulent transactions.

So, unless you have a card that absolutely always requires a PIN you should treat that card as cash because if it fails into the hands of a bad guy he/she can go on a shopping spree because many/most merchants will not have their POS machines setup to prefer/require PIN entry....and as already mentioned few card issuers code their cards to absolutely require a PIN for any & all store counter checkouts. 

Edited by Pib

It'll be contactless payment enabled, you should see this symbol on the card. 

Contactless_Card_Symbol.jpg

You need to check with Transferwise what the contactless payment limit is, it'll be the equivalent of GBP 100 or USD 200 something like that.

You can you wave & pay without entering a PIN, but more than X transactions it will prompt for the PIN, or if the amount is more than the contactless limit.

Edited by Stocky

I am from the UK and contactless is very common.  The current limit in the UK is £30.  I have never been offered to use it in Thailand.  The has always been taken from me and inserted in the reader in front of me.  I know when using my Halifax Clarity card I always enter the pin.  I don't remember using my new SCB and KBank chip and pin cards in stores yet so I don't know what happens with those.

34 minutes ago, damole said:

and inserted in the reader in front of me

Yeah but I think it'll be the contactless, no PIN needed option, that is allowing them to just accept the transaction, regardless it wasn't actually contactless. 

The reply from TransferWise

" Regarding the no PIN or no signature being asked at all, is unfortunately out of our control. It is up to the merchant on how to verify your card payment whether it be PIN, or in your case in Thailand a signature or nothing at all, the latter is obviously not perfect, but it is up to the merchant to be sure who pays with the card. "