13 Thais flown home from Chongqing in chartered flight, no symptoms of coronavirus

rooster59

13 Thais flown home from Chongqing in chartered flight, no symptoms of coronavirus

By THE NATION

800_adcbc41af3841dd.jpg

The first group of Thais stranded in Chongqing, China, reached Suvarnabhumi Airport at 6.35pm on Friday (January 31). None of them showed symptoms of the new coronavirus pneumonia but they will be monitored in quarantine for 14 days.

Airport deputy general manager Kittipong Kittikachorn said that a Thai Smile flight WE685 had carried 13 Thai persons from Chongqing, the eighth most-affected city in China. “All passengers and staff on the flight have undergone a thorough physical check and no signs of the new coronavirus symptoms have been found,” he said.

Kittipong added that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs arranged the chartered flight after receiving a report that Thais in Chongqing could no longer live in the city as their employers had stopped paying their wages. The ministry then contacted the Consulate-General of Thailand in Chengdu to charter a flight to pick them up at its own expense.

“The passengers departed Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport in Yubei district of Chongqing at 4.15pm [local time],” he added.

Located on the southwest, Chongqing is one of the four municipalities under the direct administration of the central government of China (the other three are Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin), and the only such municipality located far from the coast.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381405

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-01

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

Quarantined, eh. They're being treated worse than the Chinese tourists, who apparently once at Thailand's door are allowed to skip through without any quarantine or monitoring whatsoever.

exactly, how on earth does anyone make sense of that

• Like 2

Smells fishy to me. Hundreds of Thai citizens stranded elsewhere but the first rescue flight paid for by the government is for just 13? Some of these may have been stranded without pay but I suspect that at least one of them is well connected indeed.

Edited by bangkokfrog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

"13 Thais flown home"

13? Was a cessna airplane the only one that was available?

This crossed my mind, but Thai Smile's fleet consists of A320 airbuses with a passenger capacity of over 160! Must have been very expensive for the Consul General.

No symptoms, ok sure let's release them into general population. When they come back in two weeks with fever, well, maibpenrai.

That's been the policy for weeks now with the incoming Chinese.

Edited by DrTuner

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

As we know not showing symptoms doesn't mean they are not infected and should be quarantined as soon as they arrive back in Thailand .

What does “quarantined” mean in Thailand for Thais? Are they under watch in a hospital or simple sent home and told not to go out for somtam?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dcnx said:

What does “quarantined” mean in Thailand for Thais? Are they under watch in a hospital or simple sent home and told not to go out for somtam?

An acquintance of mine was quarantined once because he flew in from Africa and had a high fever. As far as I can remember, he spent a few days at swampy itself in a purpose built room. It's been years so memory may fail me.