visa for shengen for thai girlfriend

It's not difficult if she meets the criterea and can prove her ties to Thailand, she's considering a fairly long holiday though.

Is she planning on visiting you in the EU?

Have you read the pinned topic, still relevent though there might have been an increase in the costs.

It is not difficult at all if you provide the proper documentation. 1: Documentation that you can provide her economically during the stay. (Income document and savings if you have that) 2: Proof of where to stay during visit.3: +All other <deleted> which they require for approval.

I lived here for 25 years and my wife applied for Visa MANY times both for Sweden, UK and other countries and the approval never been a problem. The problem I experienced is mainly vfsglobal when they are part of the process. They actually very often inform us that we might have a problem. However for Schengen I provide a lot of documentation in Swedish and Norwegian and vfsglobal do not have any idea of what they get. The thing to remember it is that the actual Embassy for the country you apply for in the end check your documentation and also approve the visa, not vfsglobal. Remember that it is finally all about money so as long you provide your good on that and give them the rest of the <deleted> they ask for you should be good. You should also add a written short description for the Embassy  that you guarantee her stay. Normally you should get a 90 day Visa when you apply for Schengen, bu ass this is your first( previously they only approved the the flight ticket days) I recommend that you apply for more than two weeks. Just provide a pre-booked ticket stating a longer time. Maybe 4-6 weeks instead of the 2 which give you more flexibility. If your economically in good shape this will not be a problem.

Needed valid passport, immigration form, show money on bank for holiday, must have proof at least that much money, 34 euro/day (meaning on bank or cash 14 days X 34 euro), health insurance of a specific amount (you can also have that in your country for her, in case you need its closer by) Show economical binding , as job proof. Flight ticket copies.

If not, you can be guarantor, additional papers. Being guarantor means you are FULLY responsible for everything. If she walks and they have to find her, you have to pay for the costs to find her.

Maybe i forgot something more, but just look at your countries immigration, as could differ/country.

For the visa she needs to go to Bangkok, so also takes time/money and i see your time is short. maybe too short for all. 

also depends where you are from and into which Country she will apply, some Countries have different directives to their staff for screening and / or are more suspicious vs others. If your GF has no stable job which could be verified by embassy staff phoning the employer, no credit card or bank account it will be however pretty difficult to nearly impossible to get one. 

On 2/3/2020 at 4:40 AM, theoldgit said:

It's not difficult if she meets the criterea and can prove her ties to Thailand, she's considering a fairly long holiday though.

Is she planning on visiting you in the EU?

Have you read the pinned topic, still relevent though there might have been an increase in the costs.

New Schengen visa rules came into effect on 2-2-20, but it's mostly just higher fees (80 instead of 60 euros), you can apply earlier (6 instead of 3 months before planned departure), MEV are to be handed out according to specific parameters (to increase mulitple entry visas given out).  I may work on an update in the next few weeks but it may also be a few months (I'll soon be on holiday to muang Thai). 

They are mostly interested in checking to see if the trip is affordable (sufficient funds, medical travel insurance), that the alien is likely to return in time (to say a job or other ties to Thailand) and that the purpose of the travel makes sense (if it raises red flags that makes them think you are not being truthful,  may wish to do illegal things etc you won't get the visa).

Roughly more than 95% of applicants receive their visa.

Marriage may or may not change anything. It could make things harder if they think that you want to immigrate and move there as a family. However it can also make things easier if you are an EU/EEA national and you and the Thai spouse go on holiday to an other EU/EEA country. In that case a visa must be issued ASAP,  with minimum hassle and minimum paperwork.

Details in both regular and this 'family member of an EU national' visa are in the in the sticky. Due to Brexit and the UK leaving the EU Britons will be able to use this EU law for a free visa untill 31-12 , when the transitional period will end. 

On 2/6/2020 at 2:08 AM, Donutz said:

New Schengen visa rules came into effect on 2-2-20, but it's mostly just higher fees (80 instead of 60 euros), you can apply earlier (6 instead of 3 months before planned departure), MEV are to be handed out according to specific parameters (to increase mulitple entry visas given out).  I may work on an update in the next few weeks but it may also be a few months (I'll soon be on holiday to muang Thai). 

By way of feedback.

My missus visited BLS Spain on Monday 3rd February to submit under the new rules. 

I wanted a 12 month ME to give some flexibility and she met the new criteria with her Schengen Visa history.

Yesterday (6th) the Spanish embassy went one better and issued a 2 year visa.

10 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I wanted a 12 month ME to give some flexibility and she met the new criteria with her Schengen Visa history.

Did your wife apply as a spouse of an EU National, or as a third country national in her own right?

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Did your wife apply as a spouse of an EU National, or as a third country national in her own right?

We are not married and the Spanish embassy don't seem to grasp 'de-facto' relationships.

She applied in her own right with a good Schengen history (3 in 12 months) and I had already received email confirmation from the embassy that (under the new rules) she would be eligible for a 12m ME. 2 years was a bonus.

I deliberately waited until 3 February to get the longer validity ME - worth more than €20 to me.

16 hours ago, Jip99 said:

By way of feedback.

My missus visited BLS Spain on Monday 3rd February to submit under the new rules. 

Thanks for info, i thought that stuff comes only into effect in 6 months? 

Well, good news... will make our summer holidays way easier and more flexible, especially as she had like 4 or 5 spains shengen visa already.

3 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Thanks for info, i thought that stuff comes only into effect in 6 months? 

Well, good news... will make our summer holidays way easier and more flexible, especially as she had like 4 or 5 spains shengen visa already.

Effective 1 February 2020.

New rules below, there is a formula for the history in calculating what they will likely approve. With 3 Schengens in 2 years my missus was guaranteed a 12, ME.... I was surprised that they granted 2 years - very happy with that.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32019R1155&from=NL

BLS Spain were also helpful - something that could not be said in the past.

Archived