WiFi

White Christmas13

Yet another WiFi question.

If you have a 2 story house and you have your router downstairs can you

still use your WiFi? I can use my WiFi outside my house (carport) but

a friend of mine says (in Thailand ) he can't use it upstairs (2nd level)

Is that true or is the router not working properly? 

I live in a two story concrete home.  The internet line comes in the house on the second story...to the master bedroom where I have my primary ASUS router.  Wifi coverage/signal strength is very good upstairs but drops off very significantly downstairs....like to half signal strength/speed in most areas except the room directly below the master bedroom.

So a few years back I put another ASUS router downstairs and neatly ran an ethernet connection from the main router upstairs to the downstairs ASUS router set to Access Point mode.  Now I get strong/fast Wifi coverage upstairs and downstairs.

Whether you are using top brand/quality routers like ASUS devices and/or whether using the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz band when those Wifi signals have to fight through concrete walls and floors you can lose a lot of signal strength/speed.  And floors are usually thicker concrete with more rebar than walls which means the Wifi signal will usually be attenuated more between stories.

• Like 2

I have a similar set up as Pib but my TOT fiber modem / router is downstairs in a two story concrete house.  I don't need a repeater to get a good signal up in the Master Bedroom that is one story above and one room over from the router location

When I had TOT before fiber that was impossible and I could never get any of those extenders to work, so having whole house coverage was a pleasant surprise when I changed over to TOT fiber

I also use my Chromecast device to play videos on a TV upstairs flawlessly, using my existing wifi network    

As already written, there is no hard/fixed rule that it won't work in the upper floor.

Since having changed to 3BB about 6 months ago with a new router I have no problems with the mobile in upper floor (I use 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz is a bit on the edge).

Call me a nerd but for my PC and notebook I (also) ran an Ethernet cable to the upper floor, connected to a Gigabit switch and then to the two devices.

Nice advantage: practically unlimited network connection speed between the two (for backup/sync).

7 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Now I am not talking for my self I am asking for a friend in Pattaya

he had WiFi in the second story for years but now it will not work

anymore, so what do you suggest?

First thing you always do is reboot the router, if that doesn't work,  time to call your ISP