Sovereignty comes first: Britain lays out tough stance for EU trade talks

webfact

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The FT has a pay wall, so I can't read whatever that article is.

Can you show us what definitive proof you have that the continuity trade agreements we have in place "will be renegotiated soon enough once the trading partners allow the dust to settle and figure out how they can maximise their advantage"? 

It's an agreement for South Korea to continue it's current EU trade deal with the UK as well however , it's is not a permanent trade deal because it will need to be renegotiated within two years

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Can you show us what definitive proof you have that the continuity trade agreements we have in place "will be renegotiated soon enough once the trading partners allow the dust to settle and figure out how they can maximise their advantage"? 

Here’s the key paragraph from the article 

However, the agreement is not a permanent trade deal because it will need to be renegotiated within two years. The UK will also need to obtain South Korea’s consent to maintain existing tariff-free terms for UK goods with significant European components and for UK components in EU exports.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Piranhas are a small fish, but don't stick any of your extremities in their mouth will you.......oh wait.

But thanks for the great advice, I'll pass it on to Sajid Javid right away.

555. In five years time when you’re crying into your beer from that soi 6 bar stool because you can’t meet Thai income requirements, please, please, please think of me. Cheers. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RobFord said:

More current roses for you. Cheers.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/28/business/brexit-uk-car-industry/index.html

PS England is a small fish in a big pond. The only way it will remain competitive is to devalue it’s currency. Count on it. 

Maybe. But at least our garden pond will be back to full size.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

When I read Robford I think of a bloke wadding in a stream in his trainers....????

555. You’re hilarious. When I read transam I think Transexual American. 

James Taylor drove a 55 Chevy in Two-Lane Blacktop. 

3 minutes ago, RobFord said:

555. In five years time when you’re crying into your beer from that soi 6 bar stool because you can’t meet Thai income requirements, please, please, please think of me. Cheers. 

Don't do soi bars, more of a horlicks man myself.

2 hours ago, samran said:

You are right, the Uk joining the EC meant that Australia’s key markets were cut off to us, and we were forced to go it alone in the world searching out other alternatives. 

The difference here was we had this forced upon us rather than having it self inflicted. 

As for the mining boom - sure, it was an aberration but it doesn’t change the main story of Asia being our focus these days. 

No one in their right mind cuts off their main market voluntarily like you’ve just done with the EU - and nor is cutting it off a pre requisite for lunch finding new ones. 

As for exchange rates - you bought it up! 

As for exchange rates - yes I bought it up - and you got the hump! 

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

Thanks; If Bill Cash's private members bill (to make 23 June a bank holiday) passes through the house as expected I foresee we poms having lotsa fun as seen elsewhere with tomatoes or oranges....

We'll use...

Image result for brussel sprouts

& the winner will be whoever gets rid of 'em the fastest! ????

Meanwhile it appears a visitor is heading your way...

Bold new beginning for Global Britain as Foreign Secretary kicks off Asia-Pacific tour.

And the clock is ticking...

UK Rep becomes UK Mission as the UK leaves the EU

Good luck with Japan - you’ll need it.

Australia will be one of your first deals i think, probably more PR than substance.

Singapore will be wary on the financial services side of things, but being a city state, easier to negotiate than most. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, englishoak said:

In his spare time Samran also reads the financial tealeaves and tells fortunes at temple...

Quite....

Maybe I should engage in....what would you call this???

On 2/4/2020 at 10:32 PM, englishoak said:

Its a two way street as you well know, both sides would be hit, So what does that prove ? absolutely nothing tbh, free trade deal or take a hit, who needs the break most ? not sure tbh but the Uk is far more flexible and able to make adjustments than the Eu can and its not a small economy.... free trade deal is still best for all so the EU would be better off dropping imo its stupid and out of date demands. If its going to be stubborn and cut its nose off then so be it, we have already left and will adjust quickly enough. Eu not so much. Bring it !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RobFord said:

555. You’re hilarious. When I read transam I think Transexual American. 

James Taylor drove a 55 Chevy in Two-Lane Blacktop. 

Weeeell, your sexuallity stuff is no concern of mine sweety........????

Yes, my avatar is of James sitting in a 55 Chevy.....????

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, transam said:

And..................ball.gif.2df91add0abb9ae7ec477b2b8180396d.gif

Oh bless there Trans. So keen to participate in the discussion.

Speaking about crystal balls, how’s the Nissan investment going? You know - the ones that you guys are lauding but Nissan is denying?

Still, I guess what you are saying is that I should just go with the flow and just believe the two and three word slogans instead of having my own thoughts on the matter.

So happy hard brexit, oh, I’m sorry, Australian Trade deal! 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Actually you can. And legitimately. Open an incognito window in Chrome and paste &search this into the search bar: UK and South Korea to sign ‘continuity free trade agreement’

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, samran said:

So happy hard brexit, oh, I’m sorry, Australian Trade deal! 555

In a clear demonstration of the strength of the enduring partnership between the UK and Australia, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab will arrive in Canberra today (6 February) as part of a four-country visit to the Asia-Pacific region.

The Foreign Secretary will hold talks with Foreign Minister Marise Payne to discuss future trade and investment opportunities and the potential for an early free trade deal. The Ministers are also expected to discuss UK co-operation with Australia in the Indo-Pacific region, opportunities to work together on global human rights issues and UK assistance to the bushfire response. A team of UK experts visited Australia last month to scope how the UK can best contribute to the response.

The Foreign Secretary will also meet Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Simon Birmingham.

More:

UK aiming for early trade deal with Australia

Be sure to try the Marmite ????

• Haha 2