True Broadband Versus 3BB Which is Better - Pattaya

Thomas J

I have 3BB Fibre Optic.  However for the past 3 days I have had no internet service.  The "story" is that there was a fire in a service pole.  Have called at least 2 dozen times over the past three days and they always promise the problem will be fixed and a call back.  Problem is not fixed and they never call back.  Looking to switch to True.  The cost and the speed is identical.  However, before shooting myself in the foot, I want to make sure that others using True Broadband have had a good experience.  

DON'T change to True!

Their service, based on Phuket experience, is appalling. We went nearly a month with no connection. Since changing to 3BB their service, although not perfect or even up to falang origin country standard, is vastly superior to True(sic)....

My experience with TRUE is truthfully very poor. Recently we upgraded via a promotion phone call to 5G. What a farce, response from customer service call as to why we had lost out TV channels was 3 days. Then they told us someone would come out in 3 days to fix it. Yes it's fixed finally and now we are arguing about why it's 200 baht a month more than they told us over the phone. The staff lack intelligence and basic business skills. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, parafareno said:

not 5g but 5ghz modem from 2.4 ghz modem.....i presume

Usually modern modems/routers have 2.4 as standard and 5 Ghz as an extra. Some mobile phones will not connect to 5 Ghz. 

But yes, too many people confuse 5Ghz wifi with 5G mobile....which does not yet exist here....does it?

16 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

My experience with TRUE is truthfully very poor. Recently we upgraded via a promotion phone call to 5G. What a farce, response from customer service call as to why we had lost out TV channels was 3 days. Then they told us someone would come out in 3 days to fix it. Yes it's fixed finally and now we are arguing about why it's 200 baht a month more than they told us over the phone. The staff lack intelligence and basic business skills. 

There isnt any 5G internet as yet, and it is a cellular phone service when it arrives. You may be referring to an upgrade of your router to give 5Ghz wifi but that would have nothing to do with your cabled internet connection.

• Like 1

I have had True Internet for 7 years at my Pattaya condo it is almost always trouble free zero issues great speed. The few times over the last few years when I did need to contact them with a problem my call was answered within 1 min of being on hold and by a english speaking operator. in every issue they had a service person out within 24 hours and the problem sorted. Woke up the other morning to a Modem/router that was dead. power supply fine the unit was just dead. Called their service number and 10 am a service man arrived with a new dual band unit.

another thing not sure if other providers charge but I was never charged for a Modem / Router in all the time i have been with them.

This said this is Thailand and your experience may vary

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fvw53 said:

do True and 3BB both have unlimited downloads or do they still throttle torrents?

I have never detected any throttling of torrents on 3BB.  Also, no cap on downloading. 

Jor

1 hour ago, jor said:

do True and 3BB both have unlimited downloads or do they still throttle torrents?

Jor

In the beginning with 3bb we experienced times when our speed was being throttled down.  We continually complained and now it seems pretty consistent.  We have the 200/200 package and our download speeds seep to be consistently between 130 and 160 and that is on wireless. 

Can not believe about 3BB, because we had no internet connection during one day, next day we called and within 2 hours they come and fix it. 5 days later same problem, and they solved it few hours later. Absolutely no problems with the service

4 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

We had several phone calls from the True Sales dept telling us of a special promotion to switch to 5G. Finally we agreed.

See Parafino's comment no 7, and other. 5G PHONES DO NOT EXIST IN THAILAND YET. Phone companies will try to sell you handsets capable of operating on the 5G (5th Generation) mobile phone network WHEN IT ARRIVES HERE.

Your new router probably has a 2.4 gHz and a 5gHZ channel on which it transmits Wi Fi. It is nothing to do with Internet or phone connection.

3 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

We had several phone calls from the True Sales dept telling us of a special promotion to switch to 5G. Finally we agreed.

Is that the promotion of 395 baht a month with 100 Mbps, complete with Thai TV. We switched to that and when they installed it they fitted a router with 4 antennae, we had to unplug it daily as the Mbps would drop, we reported the problem and they installed a box with 6 antennae, alls well now.

34 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

Isaan Alan as mentioned you are mixing up cell phone service and internet broadband service.  Mobile service is currently 4G and the industry is being transitioned to 5G.  BroAt present 5G does not exist.  Also your phone has to be 5G capable.  Broadband fiber optic internet is measured in speed.  Both download speed and upload speed. Something like 100/100 or 500/100 etc. It is measured in MBPS or megabits per second.  On your wireless router, it works like a radio frequency.  2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHZ are frequencies.  5.0 is faster but has shorter range. To check your internet speed just go to the following link. Your router and computer also impact your internet speed.  Older routers can not handle todays speeds.  Same with older computers.  Their network cards are rated.  An network card rated 100mbps can only process data at that speed irrespective of how fast the internet service provider is sending it.  TV's are also for the most part limited to 100 mbps since a rate of 25mbps or faster is all that is necessary to stream. 

https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/  Speeds connected from the computer by ethernet cord to the router will be faster than wireless.  

On 2/6/2020 at 9:22 AM, fvw53 said:

Most cabled in internet in Thailand has unlimited data. It would be impossible to tell if a torrent is being throttled, its dependant on how many people are seeding the torrent, the speed they are uploading at etc. If one person is seeding a torrent and uploading at 1 mps, you wont be able to download it any quicker than 1 mbps.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:20 PM, vogie said:

Is that the promotion of 395 baht a month with 100 Mbps, complete with Thai TV. We switched to that and when they installed it they fitted a router with 4 antennae, we had to unplug it daily as the Mbps would drop, we reported the problem and they installed a box with 6 antennae, alls well now.

To-day a True TV technician came to change our TV tuner because on 20 February there will be a change to Satellite 8 ....

After questioning him I think I understand better what your wrote.

Now we have True TV from a (small) satellite dish and I asked him what would happen if we use the optic fibre cable available in our condominium and he replied that this optic fibre cable would not enter directly into the tuner but that we would need a router inside our apartment and then connect the router with a traditional (white) TV cable to the tuner.  However reading your message it should be also possible to have a wireless connection from the router to the TV : is this correct?

1 hour ago, fvw53 said:

To-day a True TV technician came to change our TV tuner because on 20 February there will be a change to Satellite 8 ....

After questioning him I think I understand better what your wrote.

Now we have True TV from a (small) satellite dish and I asked him what would happen if we use the optic fibre cable available in our condominium and he replied that this optic fibre cable would not enter directly into the tuner but that we would need a router inside our apartment and then connect the router with a traditional (white) TV cable to the tuner.  However reading your message it should be also possible to have a wireless connection from the router to the TV : is this correct?

Just now, Thomas J said:
1 hour ago, fvw53 said:

t should be also possible to have a wireless connection from the router to the TV : is this correct?

fvw53

Think of your TV as just like a computer.  It has a wireless card inside of it.  You can connect wireless from your router.  The signal will be a little less stable than if it is wired to the router with an Ethernet cable.