Single Language Windows 10 Laptops in LOS

AAArdvark

I see many laptops for sale online in Thailand.  Many of them say they have Windows 10 Single Language but they never specify which language it comes with, English or Thai.  You have to go through some gyrations to add additional languages but I can't do that if if comes with only Thai installed. I am looking at an HP HP 15s-du1060TX.  This is a US model number but who knows what the language is.  Anyone bought a single language version before?

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

say they have Windows 10 Single Language

You should look whether they say "Windows 10 Home" version or "Windows 10 Pro" version.

For Windows 10 Home (quote from Microsoft):

If you installed Windows 10 Home Single Language edition, you will not be able to change the display language but you can performed the above to change the input language.

And you can bet it is Thai language installed except explicitly specified otherwise.

I don't care whether anything is installed but do on myself and pay a small amount for a license key. But that requires some basic knowledge.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I don't care whether anything is installed but do on myself

BUT: the Lenovo notebook that I recently bought from Lenovo Thailand came with Windows 10 Pro loaded and at the initial stage of configuring I could select my preferred language.

So in this case no need to wipe/install on my own.

• Like 1

Yes Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home both allow you to choose during startup.  However this is Windows 10 Home SINGLE LANGUAGE which can only be changed by upgrading to Pro.  I can easily get a very cheap Pro license which will fix the issue however, if it starts out in Thai I will not be able to get that far.

I have asked HP Thailand Sales and they don't know.  HP support is checking.

I cannot quite tell but it looks like the pictures show a combination english / thai keyboard.

Edited by AAArdvark

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

You should look whether they say "Windows 10 Home" version or "Windows 10 Pro" version.

For Windows 10 Home (quote from Microsoft):

And you can bet it is Thai language installed except explicitly specified otherwise.

I don't care whether anything is installed but do on myself and pay a small amount for a license key. But that requires some basic knowledge.

PRO by default is multi-language so these are Home Single language notebooks.

I would have no issues installing a fresh copy of Windows except that if the laptop fails I will not be able to get warranty.  With the newer no optical drive, most laptops do not have installation media.

The quote from MS about changing the input but not the display is kind of funny.

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

Yes Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home both allow you to choose during startup.  However this is Windows 10 Home SINGLE LANGUAGE which can only be changed by upgrading to Pro.  I can easily get a very cheap Pro license which will fix the issue however, if it starts out in Thai I will not be able to get that far.

I cannot quite tell but it looks like the pictures show a combination english / thai keyboard.

Even though the language will be different, the locations will be exactly the same.

So entering product keys will be almost as easy in Thai as it would be in English.

Look; https://softwaregroup.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012409747-How-To-Upgrade-Windows-10-Home-to-Pro-using-an-OEM-key

So the first thing you do it to use the generic key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T to upgrade to Pro. Then you use your eBay/Lazada Thailand bought Pro key to activate your newly upgraded OS.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

PRO by default is multi-language so these are Home Single language notebooks.

I would have no issues installing a fresh copy of Windows except that if the laptop fails I will not be able to get warranty.  With the newer no optical drive, most laptops do not have installation media.

The quote from MS about changing the input but not the display is kind of funny.

Not at all. It means that the interface will be in Thai, but you will be able to input English characters etc

You will need to install English US keyboard for Thailand laptops.

1 minute ago, oliveryuan said:

Every Windows computer has mutiple languages you can choose. But you have to download the corresponding language package first and then set the launguage.

Sorry that is incorrect.  With windows 10 home or windows 10 pro, it is correct.  But a single language version can only be changed by upgrading to Pro or reinstalling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Not at all. It means that the interface will be in Thai, but you will be able to input English characters etc

You will need to install English US keyboard for Thailand laptops.

Understood, it was just that it struck me funny and I had to think about what they were saying.

OK, so the answer from HP is this:  With a Single Language version in Thailand, during setup it will ask if you want English or Thai.  This is a one time selection and cannot be changed later without a Pro upgrade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

OK, so the answer from HP is this:  With a Single Language version in Thailand, during setup it will ask if you want English or Thai.  This is a one time selection and cannot be changed later without a Pro upgrade.

That's an interesting option. So you could go with this.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:35 PM, KhunBENQ said:

On 2/4/2020 at 7:35 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Did you mean to insert a link, otherwise what is "this" referring to?

13 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Did you mean to insert a link, otherwise what is "this" referring to?

Referring to the HP statement that the single language allows selection of the language on setup.

"This" single language version.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:35 PM, AAArdvark said:

I was able to select english on windows 10 home single language.

• Like 1