Savannakhet Currency Exchange

up-country_sinclair

I will be spending two days in Savannakhet getting a visa, and was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for how to go about exchanging currency. 

I was there once in the past and I remember just doing it in regular shops and restaurants, but nearly always getting a rate that was very generous to the other party.  I also can't remember if it's better to exchange THB or USD for LAK.  

Any suggestions from those knowledgeable and experienced would be appreciated.

One thing that I can remember is not to exchange more than I'll need because it's essentially worthless once I cross back into Thailand.

Thanks!  ????

I have been two times in Savannakhet these last three months, and I tell you :

change your bahts in kips; if you know where is the bus station, there are several money changers on the first road on the right side when you go out the bus station

rate is about 304 kips for one baht

of course, you can pay in baht, but Lao people will count at ther advantage, let says between 280 and 300 kips for one baht 

first day, I paid in bahts and very quickly I changed in kips ( don't take too much, two or three thousand bahts ) 

dollar, totally useless, Lao people say always the price in kips and if you have only bahts, they tell you their price in bahts ( at their advantage ) 

if you want to check, have a small calculator with you and compare with the money changer ; money changer is always better, so pay in kips 

Edited by Aforek
  • Thanks 1