Replace old PC

mrjohn

4 hours ago, stouricks said:

Sorry, I was not boasting. I did mention Invade, NUC & RAM on my post, assuming the OP could go there if he wanted. 

OK, it's not an i5 or i7, but it does the job very well.

You stated the price of the wireless mouse, whilst completely omitting the cost of the RAM and SSD. You wrote "next to nothing". Whereas the average price would be another 1300 baht.

So you are up to 5800 baht plus the wireless mouse. So perhaps double the cost of my suggestion.

Your post was deliberately misleading. Why? To make your suggestion look better than mine?

Worse still, you attach some silly emoticon to my suggestion, whilst being deliberately misleading to all on yours.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

You stated the price of the wireless mouse, whilst completely omitting the cost of the RAM and SSD. You wrote "next to nothing". Whereas the average price would be another 1300 baht.

So you are up to 5800 baht plus the wireless mouse. So perhaps double the cost of my suggestion.

Your post was deliberately misleading. Why? To make your suggestion look better than mine?

Worse still, you attach some silly emoticon to my suggestion, whilst being deliberately misleading to all on yours.

Sorry Eindhoven, I removed the offending emoticon.

I did not mean to mislead anyone, the NUC and RAM were less than 5000 from Invade. I already had a SSD 128, and the mini keyboard/mousepad was Bht 300 from Lazada. Oh, I forgot, an HDMI cable to connect to the telly.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your contributions. Having read the replies and also done a little research of my own, I have come to the conclusion that the easiest and cheapest way forward is an android box.

It looks like it will do all the things I want and will also be cheaper than a second-hand PC.

So, just to reiterate, I do not watch streaming TV or live sport, nor am I interested in Netflix or similar. I would continue to download TV programmes of my choice on my main computer and watch them at my leisure.

This looks like a good buy:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tanix-tx6-android-smart-tv-box-2019-4gb-ddr3-32gb-android-90-i613350479-s1160052753.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.8b58691aOpIaWJ&search=1

Any opinions?

I have a few questions for those of you that already use android boxes:

I am assuming that I can plug in a hard drive via USB and watch the video content, is this correct?

My monitor only has one connection, so I’m assuming I would need a VGA to HDMI adapter and am also assuming that the cheap ones available on Lazada (around 95 Bht) will do the job, correct?

Also, the Tanix Tx6 doesn’t appear to have an audio output so I’m assuming Bluetooth speakers or headphones would do the job, is this correct?

Once again, I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

3 hours ago, mrjohn said:

Many thanks for your contributions. Having read the replies and also done a little research of my own, I have come to the conclusion that the easiest and cheapest way forward is an android box.

It looks like it will do all the things I want and will also be cheaper than a second-hand PC.

So, just to reiterate, I do not watch streaming TV or live sport, nor am I interested in Netflix or similar. I would continue to download TV programmes of my choice on my main computer and watch them at my leisure.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tanix-tx6-android-smart-tv-box-2019-4gb-ddr3-32gb-android-90-i613350479-s1160052753.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.8b58691aOpIaWJ&search=1

Any opinions?

I am assuming that I can plug in a hard drive via USB and watch the video content, is this correct?

My monitor only has one connection, so I’m assuming I would need a VGA to HDMI adapter and am also assuming that the cheap ones available on Lazada (around 95 Bht) will do the job, correct?

Also, the Tanix Tx6 doesn’t appear to have an audio output so I’m assuming Bluetooth speakers or headphones would do the job, is this correct?

You'll need to quote the people who recommended an Android box.

http://www.tanix-box.com/project-view/tanix-tx6-android-tv-box-allwinner-h6-dual-wifi-6k-alice-ux/

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 2:47 PM, BigStar said:

Just get an Android media box. Cheap, reliable & uses little power. Can transfer your files via FTP or stream from your PC. Bunch of them at Lazada: 

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=android+box&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.605a3497tggn0u

And they come with a remote that'll be handy. (Can even get a wireless keyboard.) We have experts here who will advise. ???? Though Big Spenders will want a NUC or an Nvidia Shield, truth is, a cheap Android box will be fine for your stated needs. I have one and use it almost daily.

Any opinions?

48 minutes ago, mrjohn said:

1. yes

2. Yes. But you could lose quality with cheap adapters

3. I don't know the Tanix but as I suppose there is BT on it, then yes. There are excellent BT speakers and headphones available. But qulity costs a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrjohn said:

Having read the replies and also done a little research of my own, I have come to the conclusion that the easiest and cheapest way forward is an android box.

Good. Yes.

1 hour ago, mrjohn said:

That should do nicely. As I recall some forum members have recommended it.  I would buy from this vendor, however. Sold a helluva lot more and has higher rating: 

https://bit.ly/2OSFRw3

If you've never used one of these Android boxes, you may anticipate a slight learning curve. But there's plenty of support around, not to worry. It's really simple. 

1 hour ago, mrjohn said:

Yep, that's what I do. You can also stream from your PC over the network using Windows Media Player as a server. And you can download files from your PC to the box or to the external hard drive via FTP. You'll have to put an FTP server on the box first, however, and a client on your PC.

51 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Adapter w/ audio jack seems most promising. Look for good quality, however. Old monitor, eh? Figures. HDMI offers better vid quality than VGA, and Android boxes love TVs with HDMI ports. I run 2 TVs simultaneously using an HDMI splitter from my cheap box. Once you get into this and see how easy and satisfying it is, you might want to upgrade that monitor.

Edited by BigStar