Strange browser(?) issue

GalaxyMan

Beginning this morning, when I try to go to various websites, I get an error message. It's a wide spectrum and types of websites; thaivisa.com, reuters.com, espn.com, etc. I get the same results with Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and IE. On my iMac, which I'm using to make this post, no similar issues. I can access any and all websites. This tells me that it is something specific to the particular PC and is not necessarily browser related except in the most global of senses. Any ideas would be appreciated.

PS. I use Kapersky anti-virus protection on a Windows 10 system. Did a full scan and found nothing.

error_msg.PNG

Edited by GalaxyMan

Could be malware changing your settings.

Try;

1. Press Windows Key + R then type “inetcpl. cpl” and hit enter to open Internet Properties.
  2. Next, Go to Connections tab and select LAN settings.
  3. Uncheck Use a Proxy Server for your LAN and make sure “Automatically detect settings” is checked.
  4. Click Ok then Apply and reboot your PC.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Could be malware changing your settings.

Try;

1. Press Windows Key + R then type “inetcpl. cpl” and hit enter to open Internet Properties.
  2. Next, Go to Connections tab and select LAN settings.
  3. Uncheck Use a Proxy Server for your LAN and make sure “Automatically detect settings” is checked.
  4. Click Ok then Apply and reboot your PC.

Very interesting. LAN Settings is greyed out, so I can't access it.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Another thing to check is if you installed Windows 10 update this week.  It has been reported that perhaps best to avoid for awhile - so if installed would have to uninstall to restore.

I did do the update. Let me try to undo it and see what happens. Thanks.

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Have you tried doing a speed test?  Perhaps not a good connection causing extremely slow circuit.  Had that happen with VPN recently.

I had one of those messages as well but only for TV and it only lasted for a few moments.

Incidentally what is strange is that I am still using windows 7 and although no updates should be forthcoming I had some updates come through last night as I was about to power down ???

Rolling back to a previous restore point failed, as it usually does. My other backup software, Acronis, wouldn't do a restore of a saved copy of the drive. Figures. There were other niggling problems, so I just did a RESET of Windows. Not really that big a deal, just re-install some programs, but the bottom line is that ALL of the problems that I was having seem to have disappeared. Worth it rather than the frustration of chasing gremlins for days. Thanks all for the suggestions.