Applying for new UK passport (2 weird questions)

Hey,

So I only have a few blank pages in my passport and need to order a new one, but I few basic things about the application have me completely puzzled. I think I might be overthinking things so if anyone could please help:

1 - It says I need to send in 2 new identical passport photos. My old passport is about 5 years old and my face looks a little older/fatter, but you can tell it's still me. When it says identical photos does it mean from the same photo booth.

Or does it mean you need to look the exact same as you did in your previous passport photo?

2 - It says you need to send in 2 supporting documents, one with photo ID. I can send in a color copy of my Thai visas and my passport.

But it also says I get to keep my old passport, so I'm not sure how I can use passport as supporting document. Unless the color copy of every single page counts?

Cheers

1. The photos must be the same as one-another (printed from the same file). The photo place will do that automatically but do ensure they understand the UK photo requirements.

2. Since they already want a full colour copy of your old PP one assumes (dangerous I know) that the supporting documents are in addition to that.

One assumes you are applying via VFS in BKK it may be worth dropping them an email (yeah, I know, but one has to suggest it).

EDIT Since you (or your agent) must apply in person it seems that the existing PP is indeed the photo ID. Page 2 of 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

2 minutes ago, finy said:

Are you saying there is no nonsense with getting someone to sign your photos like back in UK? (which I can't even imagine would be possible anyway)

You only need to get a passport photo countersigned on renewal if your appearance has changed and you cannot be recognised from your existing passport, getting a passport countersigned really isn't difficult.

1 minute ago, finy said:

Thanks.

Are you saying there is no nonsense with getting someone to sign your photos like back in UK? (which I can't even imagine would be possible anyway)

You only need countersignature if your appearance differs considerably from the old PP and you can't be recognised.

It can be tricky getting photos countersigned in Thailand because they don't accept Thai nationals signing even if they have position/job/title etc. But as said above, no need if you look relatively the same.

I did mine last year and don't remember giving any photo ID apart from passport. I got a bank statement with address for proof of address.

41 minutes ago, cmsally said:

It can be tricky getting photos countersigned in Thailand because they don't accept Thai nationals signing even if they have position/job/title etc. But as said above, no need if you look relatively the same.

I did mine last year and don't remember giving any photo ID apart from passport. I got a bank statement with address for proof of address.

Yes it has to be signed by someone with a British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport.
The range of people qualified to sign includes retired Civil Servants, and they're two a penny here.

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Since quite a few yrs the EU (and as till some 18 days ago UK had to confirm those standards) has only wanted 1 passpt foto, with the usual fine details about processing , background, no headcovers. etc. Plus the BIo-things now required. Does that mean the UK could not even stick to those rules or were they again believing they knew anything better?

Did they immediately change over to the old and of course much more trusted blue hard cover books with the proud GB/UK signs on front?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess "identical" means printed from the same file, i.e. identical to each other not your previous photo or any other pic. You can use a passport photo tool to get a DIY passport photo. I used this- https://passport-photo-software.com/ and it was alright for me, never declined either.

Unfortunately, I can't understand the thing about the supporting documents either but I would do color copies of the old passport just in case.

Archived