Not Covered under Travel Insurance Details when staying with wife

WalsallRobbo

I live in the UK and my Thai wife and daughter live in Bangkok. When I visit them, a few times a year, I obviously say with them in their house.

I have annual travel insurance with insureandgo in the UK and have been told that I am not covered for this stay as I need to stay at least one night in a hotel.

Of course, i could just pick a cheap hotel and stay there for one night but has anyone else had this problem or found a company willing to insure you?

46 minutes ago, WalsallRobbo said:

I have annual travel insurance with insureandgo in the UK and have been told that I am not covered for this stay as I need to stay at least one night in a hotel.

Never had travel insurance as always had world coverage medical but that does not make much sense in today's world of people renting accommodations online (many do not stay at hotels).

On 2/21/2020 at 3:16 AM, stevenl said:

Seems unlikely as long as you're a UK resident according to their definition.

To be sure, check the conditions for your policy.

It turns out that I am covered. The person I emailed at the insurance company got it wrong. I am just not covered when travelling in the UK. 2 weeks of my life I'll never get back chasing my insurance company up.

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 4:08 PM, WalsallRobbo said:

It turns out that I am covered. The person I emailed at the insurance company got it wrong. I am just not covered when travelling in the UK. 2 weeks of my life I'll never get back chasing my insurance company up.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that makes more sense.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 7:49 PM, lopburi3 said:

Never had travel insurance as always had world coverage medical but that does not make much sense in today's world of people renting accommodations online (many do not stay at hotels).

Does World Coverage Medical cover you for delayed or cancellation of flights, lost baggage or documents?

10 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Does World Coverage Medical cover you for delayed or cancellation of flights, lost baggage or documents?

The question is what do you want to cover. Traditionally insurance is meant for catastrophical mishaps like major health issues, house destroyed by fire, etc., but slowly slowly that has expanded to also smaller things.

IMO and for myself, I don't care about those small mishaps, I want to be covered for something catastrophic.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

Most flights were paid by employer and in 60 years of travel never lost baggage or a document.  

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Most flights were paid by employer and in 60 years of travel never lost baggage or a document.  

So it was OK for your employer to lose money on cancelled flights, I'm all right Jack.

And Liverpool never lost a match this season....until yesterday. There's a first time for everything.

24 minutes ago, stouricks said:

So it was OK for your employer to lose money on cancelled flights, I'm all right Jack.

And Liverpool never lost a match this season....until yesterday. There's a first time for everything.

When travelling I was on Per Diem so employer paid flight or no flight.  And no - I don't have below either.

image.jpeg.3b6736371f8de93889b13c4750fcf2bb.jpeg

• Haha 1