glasses

wazzadg44

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum-move if not. I usually have my eyes checked twice a year in Australia but due to cancer treatment I have not been able to get back for 12 months and it looks like at least 10 more months before I can go again. My glasses are starting to lose focus in certain situations-reading,looking at tablet/notebook. The examination in Australia is very thorough with many lenses tested before a prescription  is issued then glasses sent to be made up. Here in Thailand I have never seen an optometrist use/have this sort of equipment. Even An eye test at BDSM does not include them. What I would like to know is where  can I go (I am in Phitsanulok ) to get the correct new lenses for my glasses. Can any one help?

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Any of BKK big hospitals has an impressive and extensive eye examination department, you will do even better to see the eye hospital in Bkk where the late king used to treated...

https://www.rutnin.com/en/home/

Thanks ezzra but I can't see myself getting down to Bangkok any time soon. Would like to get them done here in P'lok if possible.

6 minutes ago, wazzadg44 said:

Brtiman-that is an American website. I tried www.zennioptical.co.th but it sent me back to the American one. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Glasses ship from China through Hong Kong.

Does it matter where the website is based?

My last progressive glasses were $43 +$10 shipping.

Delivered to Chiang Mai within 14 days of ordering.

7 minutes ago, wazzadg44 said:

I was after a Thai contact number or website so I could contact them for information. The American website has only  an American phone number. which is no help. 

Thanks.

They have an online chat and you can ask whatever you want. Click the "Help" then on that page, look bottom right of  screen and see "support" chat graphic.

1.  There are very fewoptometrists in Thailand as it is a relatively new degree field.

2.  Most eye exams are done in OPD of hospital by ophthalmologist.

3.  As mentioned there are a few providing service in non chain type chophouse but local recommendation would be advised.

4.  Normally 20 foot test, computer exam, ophthalmologist exam and if glasses indicated another exam using the old lens swap system my be added (which for me is never twice the same result).  

5.  For actual glasses Zenni has been my choice for last decade or two.  Very good service and quality at much more reasonable prices than normally found in Thailand.  And must say fit has been 100% better than those done in person in USA shops.  If you read website they provide full information - just measure a pair that fits and get your PD (distance between eyes) from doctor or have someone measure (not hard).  

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Your choice obviously but you wont beat Zenni on price or service, IMHO

I tried the live chat-Cindy was very nice. She said they only have the American phone number and do not have details of any Thai numbers. Back to square one looking for info IN Thailand about Zenni.

20 minutes ago, wazzadg44 said:

I tried the live chat-Cindy was very nice. She said they only have the American phone number and do not have details of any Thai numbers. Back to square one looking for info IN Thailand about Zenni.

Not clear the need for phone number for info about Zenni as full information on how to measure/size/order and such is on website but you are aware of Skype and such for almost free calls if you need?  Even Thai providers have very reasonable rates.  They are real and do deliver to Thailand if that is your concern (as many of us have advised).

In any event exam is done here so you could do that any time and if you are not adverse to paying what is often a much higher price you can take to any optical shop here to have glasses made.  I would not use most such shops for exam.  

44 minutes ago, wazzadg44 said:

Dont understand this at all, what can you say on a phone that you cant say in a live chat ? Or am I missing something ? Why is the phone so important ?

I'm going to try one more time-my glasses have prescription lenses-how measuring between the eyes tells me what variation has occurred since last examination I fail to see. The only website available is American but I repeat myself saying this. The phone might be helpful to get an address since there is no web site (Thai) with any such details. I have my last prescription from Australia-now over 12 months old-and the difference  would tell the examiner the correct adjustment to apply to the new lenses. I don't need frame, would just need to have new lenses fitted to my existing frame.

Thank you every one for replying,but I am no further along than before so perhaps if no one can give me phone no./address of Zenni in Chaing Mai better not to post.

23 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Dont understand this at all, what can you say on a phone that you cant say in a live chat ? Or am I missing something ? Why is the phone so important ?

I don't understand what he wants either.

I do understand my 8,000bht glasses from a CM optician cost 1,600bht mail order from Zenni.

(The Zenni frames were a better quality as well)

Which is why I only use them now.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 1:02 PM, CharlieH said:

Your choice obviously but you wont beat Zenni on price or service, IMHO

I've used Zenni multiple times and always satisfied.  I did receive one pair of glasses that were the improper prescription.  I contacted Zenni Customer Service online and they immediately sent me a new pair of replacement glasses, not even requiring me to return the incorrect pair. Quite impressive.

If you carefully check the Zenni website, you will find they offer some glasses for under $10,.... $20 including shipping to Thailand.  You could try ordering a pair of those very inexpensive glasses as a way of trying Zenni out with little risk.

The OP will need an up to date prescription and that can be difficult to get from local shops when you are not buying from them. As far as I have been able to determine, there is no professional licensing requirement or national standards for the optical technicians administering eye exams in local retail shops.  I strongly suggest the OP go to a hospital with an ophthalmology department and get a thorough examination.  Be sure to inform them in advance you seek a prescription as that is not always provided unless you ask for it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will do but I must say I also cannot understand your insistance on a Thai phone number for Zenni. Zenni makes glasses to order. They do not do prescriptions. You have to provide them with an optomtrists prescription. 

If as it sounds what you seek is a new (updated) prescription Zenni is not the answer though once you have one they are a good source for getting the prescription filled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1