Need Recommendation For School

drewfritz

I work at one of the accredited schools you've listed above and having gone through the process you might be interested to know that it is a long and detailed process and not something which is gained instantly. If St John's has already passed their initial visit, then it's going to be around two years before the assessment takes place (the time frame is set by COIS not the school). During that time the school will be getting absolutely everything in order right down to the nitty gritty details. I wouldn't knock a school just because it is not accredited - if it is currently going through the process then it's well on the way to getting the actual accreditation. My advice is to go and visit all of the schools you are interested in ans not to make any decision until you've seen them for yourself. Try and go during the school day, perhaps with your daughters, so you can get a full picture of what the school is really like.

Is it imperative your children have to go through an American system? Can they not get into university with British qualifications? If you were prepared to investigate British schools, you will have a lot more choice in schools.

Going by your requirements mentioned throughout this topic, it seems as if Kesinee is your only choice at the moment.

Thanks for your input. We are of course planning to make a number of visits upon our arrival. We're just trying to narrow the list as much as possible before we arrive.

As far as the American system....that's what they're used to and we don't want to burden them with switching back and forth between systems. They'll be in Thailand for only a year or two, then will be moving into an American or IB system in Singapore before going on to college in the US. It's just more logical to keep them in one system.

Thanks for your input. KIS seems like the most likely choice at this point...

Don't look for recommendations among this lot here. I've tried, and either no one responds, or its some former disgruntled employee with an ax to grind. Things are not as bad that they make them out to be, in most cases. Do your homework. Visit the school, observe a class, investigate the textbooks, interview current teachers, and other parents. In the end, parental involvement is much more important in the education process than any other factor.

Right...and that's what we're doing....being involved. Actually, I've been quite pleased with the feedback I've gotten from quite a few whose recommendations seem very sincere. I don't recall even one disgruntled employee...and I definitely want to hear from any parent who's had a particularly bad or good experience with a particular school...that's the whole reason for my post. Thanks for the input.

Have you considered looking for a scholarship/bursary? I recall seeing an advert in the BKK post advertising full tuition fees grant for either NIST or ISB? It may be worth looking at.

Good luck

Leisurely

Hmmm...nope, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I'll look into it...thanks much!

Have you considered looking for a scholarship/bursary? I recall seeing an advert in the BKK post advertising full tuition fees grant for either NIST or ISB? It may be worth looking at.

Good luck

Leisurely

If you can get a scholarship in NIST or ISB, go for it! For the price you will be paying (or NOT be paying in this case) its well worth it.

Good luck

Leisurely

If you can get a scholarship in NIST or ISB, go for it! For the price you will be paying (or NOT be paying in this case) its well worth it.

I'll definitely look into it. Thanks much for the input!

Good luck

Leisurely

Hi again,

KIS also offers secondary school scholarship.

I also just wanted to clarify that KIS International School - KIS stands for Knowledge, Inspiration and Spirit ..Kesinee was the former name and it has been almost three years since the school has rebranded its name.

Cheers

KS

As an educator working in Bangkok I can only support what has been said above about doing your homework, touring schools and asking the questions that really matter to you. While some people will tell you a certain school is the best to get into, you have to ask yourself what really matters to you and your family. Are you getting a better service or is your child getting a better education, simply because you are paying more, or simply because they attend a bigger school? While some children may benefit from a certain environment that big schools offer, other children benefit from the more personal atmosphere that is more prevelant at smaller schools. Most schools in Bangkok do offer the British system and if you already know that you are going to move your children to Singapore where they'll have to attend an either American or IB system school, I think it's wise to make these transitions as smooth as possible for them. You seem to have a good attitude about looking for "the right school" for your children. I believe the rest will come when you actually get to tour the schools of your choice. Last but not least, location should also play a big role in your decision making. Do you want you children to commute for an hour to and from school every day because they have to go all the way out to where the big and famous one is? Or do you want to live out there so you can be close to school but then you have to do the commute to work and every time you want to go into town? Bangkok traffic can make your life miserable, so it's better to factor it in.

Good luck

Leisurely

Hi again,

KIS also offers secondary school scholarship.

I also just wanted to clarify that KIS International School - KIS stands for Knowledge, Inspiration and Spirit ..Kesinee was the former name and it has been almost three years since the school has rebranded its name.

Cheers

KS

Even better! Thanks again...the assistance is much appreciated.

As an educator working in Bangkok I can only support what has been said above about doing your homework, touring schools and asking the questions that really matter to you. While some people will tell you a certain school is the best to get into, you have to ask yourself what really matters to you and your family. Are you getting a better service or is your child getting a better education, simply because you are paying more, or simply because they attend a bigger school? While some children may benefit from a certain environment that big schools offer, other children benefit from the more personal atmosphere that is more prevelant at smaller schools. Most schools in Bangkok do offer the British system and if you already know that you are going to move your children to Singapore where they'll have to attend an either American or IB system school, I think it's wise to make these transitions as smooth as possible for them. You seem to have a good attitude about looking for "the right school" for your children. I believe the rest will come when you actually get to tour the schools of your choice. Last but not least, location should also play a big role in your decision making. Do you want you children to commute for an hour to and from school every day because they have to go all the way out to where the big and famous one is? Or do you want to live out there so you can be close to school but then you have to do the commute to work and every time you want to go into town? Bangkok traffic can make your life miserable, so it's better to factor it in.

Solid advice all the way around, thanks very much. I agree...I have nothing at all against the British curriculum...it's just a matter of doing all we can to make the girls' transitions as smooth as possible. We'll know which school is right for us when we feel it on our visits, as you've suggested. A long commute is definitely out, especially in Bangkok...but we'll have the advantage of being able to find a place near whichever school we choose. It's a unique situation which I won't get into. Trust me, I know all about the misery of waiting for hours on end in Bangkok traffic.

Thanks again!