Cheapest place to fly with a family of 4?

Monomial

A general query for information.

My children haven't flown on an airplane since they were 3, and they can't remember the flight. They're nearly 10 and bug me every day to take an "airplane ride" somewhere, but I have neither the time nor the money to entertain them right now. However, I was listening to the radio today however, and heard that airlines were offering steep discounts at the moment to try and stimulate travel. So I was thinking now may be a good time to allow my progeny to experience that airplane ride they keep pestering me about.

My question then:  flying out of Don Muang, where is the cheapest place I can take a family of 4? What kind of specials are currently being offered? Any thoughts on a cheap overnight getaway?

There are 3 always cheap (in comparison) budget airls in TH; ThaiAirAsia, ThaiLionAir (both from DMK) and ThaiVietJet (from Swampy). The low base fare only covers the transportation, you pay extra (if wanted and smart enough to delete in the booking) for food/drinks, checked luggage, some special seats on board etc.

Of course domestic is a lot cheaper as International, if only for the 700 bt Airporttax vs just 50.(included in the price to pay).

There is NO specific place that is always cheaper, in fact most fares are more or less samesame for flites of around 1 hr. There may be special low introductions on new lines, but none for now. Book at least 2 weeks advance and for the rest its simply see where they go and try out.

There are some sites that allow you to compare prices, like googleflights or skyscanner or momondo, but its always for just 1 destination. There is one where you can simply check any low price, I think skysc, bot not sure, for in a whole week. LOw prices are mostly on times that noone wants to go_ very early (get out of bed mid of night and taxi, no bus) or the last of the day (very prone to delay and ditto-ar. too late for HTL).

Discount for kids depend on their age, but do not expect much if you want them to have own seats.

Do take much care and check before if an airprt somewhere has good links-some are over 50 km away from the town they are called of.

Agree with above-it might be a good idea to combine with train or bus coming back//or reverse.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 4:27 PM, asanee said:

There are some sites that allow you to compare prices, like googleflights or skyscanner or momondo, but its always for just 1 destination.

This bit isn't quite right.  On Skyscanner you have the option to enter "Everywhere" as your destination and it'll show you results in order of price.

image.png.c2b6121b7fc4111726b822c2863203e2.png

On 2/26/2020 at 10:27 PM, Denim said:

Probably Khon Kaen. About a 1 hour flight. Could even return by overnight train with bunk beds for another new experience.

Fly to Udon more to do, KK  is a Bore , I live in Korat No airport and a Bore , I saw on FB Tripit Chang Rai and Mai were 450 b one way

Edited by Ireland32

10 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

Fly to Udon more to do, KK  is a Bore , I live in Korat No airport and a Bore , I saw on FB Tripit Chang Rai and Mai were 450 b one way

10 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

I live in Korat No airport - ah but you will be getting a High Speed Train, one day or year!

On 2/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, jimn said:

By the time you have taken to construct your post and waited for replies you could have searched Air Asia or one of the comparison sites and had your answer in minutes. Why bother asking on here?

This is a Forum for people to ask genuine questions, some people want first hand advice. So as you said, 'Why bother' replying if you are just going to post negative comments. It's people like you that give this Forum a bad name. 

5 hours ago, bryangiggs said:

This is a Forum for people to ask genuine questions, some people want first hand advice. So as you said, 'Why bother' replying if you are just going to post negative comments. It's people like you that give this Forum a bad name. 

Thank you for the advice newbie