Students Catch A Thief

mongoose

Several Chiang Mai high school students got tired of having cell phones and other things stolen at school (and the school staff did not agree that the students knew who was doing it) so two students planted a video camera hidden in a book. They selected the time and location for filming based on their analysis of the long string of previous thefts. Returning from a school assembly and checking the camera, they found their film of a teacher, yes a teacher, not a secretary or gardener or cleaning lady, going through student’s bags and selecting stuff to steal. After sharing the video with their classmates, having a few laughs and “I told you sos”, they let the school administration have a look, which resulted in the teacher being fired and numerous previously missing cell phones found. About 80,000 Baht worth.

It is great to see young people taking responsible action to fix problems. Great also to see that they put some of their TV experience to practical use.

I think they should show the police and arrest the teacher as well. To add insult to injury, maybe they can post the video to the internet somewhere.

I think that the police were involved in the search of the teachers residence where much stolen property was found but I do not know if an arrest was made. I agree that an arrest seems appropriate.

Is this an item from the newspaper, or did it happen at a school which board members know? It seems that a few people know about this case. In any case, thumbs up for the kids, thumbs down for the teacher.

Is this an item from the newspaper, or did it happen at a school which board members know? It seems that a few people know about this case. In any case, thumbs up for the kids, thumbs down for the teacher.

I did not get it from a newspaper but it might have been one. What do you mean by "board members"?

I did not get it from a newspaper but it might have been one. What do you mean by "board members"?

My mistake--I realize that you, Mongoose, both made the original post and supplied follow-up information.

Anyway, I guess the question at the heart of my question remains: where did this happen?

good story. I've suffered many rip-offs during my nearly 10 years in Thailand.

I should get those students to rig up their video camera.

Once I had the 3 mid-teen rip offs in my sights (I knew 100% they had repeatedly stolen from my house), but I hesitated about taking them down - worried that Thais would attack me if they saw me manhandling one or more 15 year olds. ....so I reluctantly let them go. The kids had the last laugh.

Sorry, but for some reason, I doubt the truthfullness of the story.. Nothing to do with the reporter, who I don't know, but this is something I could expect to happen in a large public school, but at Prem, it just doesn't make sense to me that it could happen there. I mean the very personalized relationship between staff and kids there would seem to me to make this story not likely...

Edited by Ajarn

Anyway, I guess the question at the heart of my question remains: where did this happen?

Prem International School, Mae Rim

i wouldn't be surprised. perhaps the teachers are paid very poorly at PREM :o

or this particular teacher has a certain weird fetish for phones.

Sorry, but for some reason, I doubt the truthfullness of the story.. Nothing to do with the reporter, who I don't know, but this is something I could expect to happen in a large public school, but at Prem, it just doesn't make sense to me that it could happen there. I mean the very personalized relationship between staff and kids there would seem to me to make this story not likely...

Ajan, I respect your views but your expectations are based on what? Real facts about the school or what you think a school like that s h o u l d be or what they promote themselves to be? Based on what you wrote, I guess that you would not expect the school to have had a drug problem last year involving the suspension of about 15 students and expulsion of about 5 more on one occasion. The drug problem was in the Thai newspapers last year and the school held meetings with parents about it. If you doubt the truthfullness of the information, check it out with parents who have children in the senior school there and I think you will find confirmation.

Ajan, I respect your views but your expectations are based on what? Real facts about the school or what you think a school like that s h o u l d be or what they promote themselves to be? Based on what you wrote, I guess that you would not expect the school to have had a drug problem last year involving the suspension of about 15 students and expulsion of about 5 more on one occasion. The drug problem was in the Thai newspapers last year and the school held meetings with parents about it. If you doubt the truthfullness of the information, check it out with parents who have children in the senior school there and I think you will find confirmation.

I was aware of last years drug problem involving 15 students. My regard for the school went up when they expelled many students involved. That is not particularly common at for profit educational enterprises and there are several schools in Thailand that are overweight with students who have had problems elsewhere. I was glad to see Prem had a low tolerance for such things. Any more details you can share on this latest scandal?

I was aware of last years drug problem involving 15 students. My regard for the school went up when they expelled many students involved. That is not particularly common at for profit educational enterprises and there are several schools in Thailand that are overweight with students who have had problems elsewhere. I was glad to see Prem had a low tolerance for such things. Any more details you can share on this latest scandal?

Hate to put a damper on this latest 'scandal', but it's not really a scandal at all. However, hats off to the students and the initiative they showed. :o

Nearly all of what mongoose stated concerning the incident is reliable as far as I know, with the exception of the culprit. The thief was NOT a teacher but a locally hired young woman from Chiang Mai whose role at the High School was to assist teachers in setting up displays and some clerical work.

She was fired on the day and police are following up. I've heard some talk about what's happened to her since, but won't embellish as I can't substantiate it.

Hate to put a damper on this latest 'scandal', but it's not really a scandal at all. However, hats off to the students and the initiative they showed. :o

Nearly all of what mongoose stated concerning the incident is reliable as far as I know, with the exception of the culprit. The thief was NOT a teacher but a locally hired young woman from Chiang Mai whose role at the High School was to assist teachers in setting up displays and some clerical work.

She was fired on the day and police are following up. I've heard some talk about what's happened to her since, but won't embellish as I can't substantiate it.

Thanks for the clarification that no teachers were involved..

"Based on what you wrote, I guess that you would not expect the school to have had a drug problem last year involving the suspension of about 15 students "

Why would you say that? On what I wrote? That doesn't make any sense to me. I know Prem ain't perfect. My point was that conflicts between teachers and students didn't seem likely, in that case.

Rich n poor alike can get sticky fingers.

And in fact, sometimes the poorest folks are the most honest and respectful - the kind who return things they find on the ground. Then there's them rich folks who sell billion kafillion baht telecoms who steal right in front of your eyes.

Starting to think actually the thieving is proportional to the person's wealth. Naaa, whatever...... you just can't generalize. That's me point.

While I don't like to see drug use by children or theft of property, these things will happen in any grouping of sufficient size. It is only the flawed human nature. Of more interest to me, is the reaction by the school once these types of problems are brought to light. Do they address it quickly and in a straightforward manner without attempting to cover up or do they bend to pressure of parents or faculty or monetary concerns? From what I know of last years problem and what I've read here about this problem, I cannot fault Prem School for their handling of these situations.

" THIEF " is a very big word and yet not enough understanding had been put to it ..

so to break it down . this is one of the oldest job beside sex trade and slave

-

Alot of people in this world get rich being a thief - be it there steal an item , or rob during war.

or in the misdirection of a confusion resources is stolen .

history would tell you that , sometime the thief is the one winning the game .

in an unfair world . my view is we got to protect our own interest .

as much as we have law and rule and moral . this world we live in is relaly notthing much different from the stone age .

we seem to be eating raw food and taken less care of our own belonging compare to the cave man who will kill to protect his rock .

one good example is " PATENT " some inventor who is poor can't register a patent . may had his invention stolen to whom ever have the cash flow to register it .

many thing had been invented by the chinese , but little had been credit to it .

just to list a few ,

Gunpowder

fireworks

Tower building

Noodle

Agricultural

Paper

Compass

Printing

Parachute

Flame thrower

Deep drilling for gas

Row crops

Paper currency

The wheelbarrow

The Kite

Pasta

Hot Air ballon

Seismograph ( use for predict earthquake )

Rudder ( use in changing direction for boat , ship , and aeroplane )

Caculator ( abacus )

Silk

Embroidery

Anesthetic ( herbal powder )

ok here is ONE THING NOT INVENTED BY THE CHINESE

The Fortune Cookie

THis is not a chinese invention . whahahahhaa

.. :o

Anyway.

the action of the kids show that in the world or dog bite dog .

only those who willing to take action into hand can slove their problem .

not those who sit back and complain .

helpline is invented for people who love to complain . :D

don't be afraid of responsibility - is yuor TASK to take care of your belonging in the very first place .

if you don't even care for what belong to you .

do you think someone else should take better care of your belonging for you ?

whahaha

anyway my mobile was stolen on the train - is one of the cheapest i can find . 1100 nokia

i hope the person to took had a better life doing so :D

good luck and happy hunting

Edited by Ta22

" THIEF " is a very big word and yet not enough understanding had been put to it ..

so to break it down . this is one of the oldest job beside sex trade and slave

-

Alot of people in this world get rich being a thief - be it there steal an item , or rob during war.

or in the misdirection of a confusion resources is stolen .

history would tell you that , sometime the thief is the one winning the game .

in an unfair world . my view is we got to protect our own interest .

as much as we have law and rule and moral . this world we live in is relaly notthing much different from the stone age .

we seem to be eating raw food and taken less care of our own belonging compare to the cave man who will kill to protect his rock .

one good example is " PATENT " some inventor who is poor can't register a patent . may had his invention stolen to whom ever have the cash flow to register it .

many thing had been invented by the chinese , but little had been credit to it .

just to list a few ,

Gunpowder

fireworks

Tower building

Noodle

Agricultural

Paper

Compass

Printing

Parachute

Flame thrower

Deep drilling for gas

Row crops

Paper currency

The wheelbarrow

The Kite

Pasta

Hot Air ballon

Seismograph ( use for predict earthquake )

Rudder ( use in changing direction for boat , ship , and aeroplane )

Caculator ( abacus )

Silk

Embroidery

Anesthetic ( herbal powder )

ok here is ONE THING NOT INVENTED BY THE CHINESE

The Fortune Cookie

THis is not a chinese invention . whahahahhaa

.. :D

Anyway.

the action of the kids show that in the world or dog bite dog .

only those who willing to take action into hand can slove their problem .

not those who sit back and complain .

helpline is invented for people who love to complain . :D

don't be afraid of responsibility - is yuor TASK to take care of your belonging in the very first place .

if you don't even care for what belong to you .

do you think someone else should take better care of your belonging for you ?

whahaha

anyway my mobile was stolen on the train - is one of the cheapest i can find . 1100 nokia

i hope the person to took had a better life doing so :D

good luck and happy hunting

That was most enlightening Maxie, thanks........... :o

"Based on what you wrote, I guess that you would not expect the school to have had a drug problem last year involving the suspension of about 15 students "

Why would you say that? On what I wrote? That doesn't make any sense to me. I know Prem ain't perfect. My point was that conflicts between teachers and students didn't seem likely, in that case.

I did not understand that you were writing about "conflicts between teachers and students." I have never received information about the school that I would call a conflict between teachers and students.