More than 2,700 cruise tourists arrive in Patong

webfact

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'm assuming the Star Clipper came come from Singapore (did the Singapore-Port Klang-Phuket cruise on a different Star ship a few years back) & given the fact that SG is seen as one of the high(ist) risk countries, doesn't seem like the wisest thing to do, onshore screening or no onshore screening. 

FWIW, I agree with the comments that Cruises are an awesome way to spend a holiday, just make sure you take some stretchy pants (guaranteed weight gain with all that free food & cheap(ish) booze knocking about), just not a great time to do one (especially in Asia) while COv19 is doing the rounds.

The Star Clipper is a large sailing vessel (hence the name "clipper") and it's currently based in Phuket. It sails mainly to islands in local waters.

It is not one of the Star passenger liners originating in Singapore. I did one of those cruises on the "Gemini" many years ago.  

However, the "Slendida" did come to Phuket directly from Singapore. (It is currently at sea approaching Sri Lanka)

However, as they haven't closed the airports to aircraft from Singapore, I see little point in banning ships from there.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2

The reason why people are still going on cruises is because they have pre-paid for the cruise and can't get a refund. 

I read a recent article about a family set to lose USD32k if they didn't go on their planned cruise.

Cruise ship operators are not treating "epidemics" as grounds for cancellation or refunds, nor are travel insurance willing to cover this.  

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, neeray said:

Perhaps you have never participated in a cruise. I have, half a dozen of them.

I never felt confined. The ship docks periodically, in my case (Caribbean), just about every day and we went ashore to explore various islands. These ships are huge. There is no need to stay in your cabin. There is lots to do on the ship, spread over many floors.

Try it. You might like it.

I'm sure I would like a cruise on the QE2. Not on an MS Splendida. 

Can you explain why there is no infection risk just because there is so much space?

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

I'm sure I would like a cruise on the QE2. Not on an MS Splendida. 

Can you explain why there is no infection risk just because there is so much space?

Nowhere did I say that there was "no infection risk".

On 3/2/2020 at 9:47 AM, KC 71 said:

What.......like the Titanic ????

The Titanic was not on cruise on its ill fated voyage

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

and that’s after only 3 cups of coffee????

On 3/1/2020 at 9:36 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

I have watched some people on cruise ships and other public places, sneeze and cough without covering their mouths, or coughing into a hand, then grab a stair railing as they

walk around. Imagine aboard a ship, the railings, elevator buttons, door knob etc.

Why do you think that people call these ships floating, petri

dishes.  I think I will take my chances on dry land.

Just Saying!

Geezer

Not much different from any Starbucks, shopping mall or any other public place in Thailand. Generally speaking, many Thais and most Chinese don't cover their mouth when they sneeze or cough.