CoVir-19 and Immigration

SamMunich

11 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Thanks for that.  My experience as well. I think most comments on this subject are from people who don't actually use airports in Thailand but feel the need to throw in their fearmongering two bobs worth for some reason.

Agree with both you and Steve but it is not only airports but land crossings as well. Many of these people you are mentioning are the ones that also scream out about Thais not taking responsibility for their actions and yet these same people are not taking responsibility for their own health and safety, they want everyone to do it for them. It is quite simple, if you are going somewhere that could be a risk then take your own precautions and take your own mask and hand gel with you and stop whinging and whining when things are not supplied for you.

• Like 1

Why worry about immigration fingerprint scanners? How about railings, banisters, door handles, armrests, ATM keypads, lift buttons, taxi door handles, your own baggage handles, taps, passports, tickets, boarding passes, money...notes and coins? Everything is being touched by thousands of people before yourself! The key is to repeatedly wash/disinfect your own hands, and do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SERGERAMOS said:

I would imagine you can catch it off handling money so we're all doomed 

No, just let your wife handle the money because they are immune from catching anything from cash money because they never have it long enough to catch anything

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kurtf said:

Stop panicking about the Corona virus. The Flu virus is 10 to 20 times more prevalent and much more deadly. when it comes to the Corona virus you have nothing to fear except FEAR itself. Speaking of that did you know that FEAR stands for False Evidence Appearing Real. Once any of the evidence is proved false the fear goes away.

Nonsense. Whilst it is true that the "common" flu is more prevalent, it has been around forever and has dispersed world wide, it is a mistake to say it is more deadly.

The mortality rate of Corona is 2 to 3%. Regular flu is 0.1%.

Yup, more people are currently dying from regular flu but that is simply because the chances are much higher you will catch that than Corona. The reason for the concern is to prevent the Corona spreading. It appears as contagious as flu but 20 times more likely to kill you so if it spreads then it becomes a problem. Fortunately we don't catch flu that often.

Your logic that flu is more deadly is just abusing statistics. A mosquito is more deadly than a cobra but I would rather get bitten by a mosquito.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Actually, the scanner is not more contaminated than your passport in the end. Considering the IO is touching each person's passport and then taking yours...so you have it all sticking to your passport as well.

Edited by Mak25

I think it’s reasonable to scan fingerprints as they do in many countries now either as part of the border crossing process either automatic or manual, however I do believe the border stations should provide antiseptic gel right after the immigration booth to use until you can thoroughly wash your hands in the washrooms.

Stip the scanning and you’ll have all the previously expelled people returning in droves with false passports as soon as they find out.

thanks god i am not going to any airports for years to come and yes the 90days report time I will wet wipe my passport after the lady or man at immigration hands it back to me I will also have a tissue in my hand when he hands it back to me to hold the passport before i wet wipe all pagers in it.

Better to be safe than sorry and I am 73 next month and at times get Asthma so I am a prime target

20 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I flew into Bangkok from Melbourne, Australia, yesterday.

Melbourne airport was crowded with no one (except Asian people) wearing masks. The current perception in Australia is that anyone wearing a mask has a cold/flu/virus of some sort and should be avoided. The flight was pretty full. 

In Bangkok there was thermal scanning. No queues at immigration. The digital scanning was quick and there was hand sanitiser available.

OK. That is good to know. Which airport and where was the hand sanitiser located please?

20 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I think most comments on this subject are from people who don't actually use airports in Thailand but feel the need to throw in their fearmongering two bobs worth for some reason.

My comments r not fearmongering but to warn and help others to be prepared, and to possibly spur the Thai authorities to make improvements to the system. My comments r based on personal land border crossing experience and reading other 1st hand reports on thaivisa.com of their airport entry to Thailand.

If your experience was the same, be helpful and tell us which airport and where was the hand sanitiser was located.

36 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

OK. That is good to know. Which airport and where was the hand sanitiser located please?

Suvarnabhumi. Don Muang is very quiet these days as most of the cheap airlines (Air Asia) flying to and from China have been cancelled.

Hand sanitisers are usually located on the immigration officers' desks for before/after you use the fingerprint scanner.

Inbound passengers have to queue through a checkpoint where a forehead digital scanner is used, but it is fairly quick and precursory (e.g. people leave their face masks on and often avert their face).

You may find that if your flight is a through flight (but with a stop over) you will not be allowed off the plane. For example, my outbound flight to Melbourne stopped at Denpasar for 1.5 hours, but us through passengers were not allowed off the plane (e.g. to wander around the terminal) presumably as a safety precaution.

Edited by Stevemercer

20 hours ago, Patrocks said:

Nonsense. Whilst it is true that the "common" flu is more prevalent, it has been around forever and has dispersed world wide, it is a mistake to say it is more deadly.

The mortality rate of Corona is 2 to 3%. Regular flu is 0.1%.

Yup, more people are currently dying from regular flu but that is simply because the chances are much higher you will catch that than Corona. The reason for the concern is to prevent the Corona spreading. It appears as contagious as flu but 20 times more likely to kill you so if it spreads then it becomes a problem. Fortunately we don't catch flu that often.

Your logic that flu is more deadly is just abusing statistics. A mosquito is more deadly than a cobra but I would rather get bitten by a mosquito.

Nobody knows that the coronavirus mortality rate is going to be that high. Countless people will get it and won't even be tested - they will recover on their own - therefore the mortality rate will be artificially high. Many people with coronavirus will be thrown into the flu statistics rather than the coronavirus statistics. 

28 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Hand sanitisers are usually located on the immigration officers' desks for before/after you use the fingerprint scanner.

What do u mean by usually? Either there was or there wasnt sanitiser at the desk u used! And did u walk and check all the other desks? My whole point is that its use should be insisted upon by every IO. If not many will not bother! Some r saying that it is up to individuals  to take responsibility for their own health, but if people dont bother then they r potentially putting everyone they come into contact with after using the scanners at risk.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:08 PM, Kurtf said:

Stop panicking about the Corona virus. The Flu virus is 10 to 20 times more prevalent and much more deadly. when it comes to the Corona virus you have nothing to fear except FEAR itself. Speaking of that did you know that FEAR stands for False Evidence Appearing Real. Once any of the evidence is proved false the fear goes away.

Its the two week quarantine that I fear.

Just looking for a bit of general advice..I am 'slated'  to go to Siem Reap next Friday for 3 days, it's not vital that I go and worse case would lose Bt3.5k on the flight. Now I know that Cambodia isn't on the so called 11 risk countries but I'm now wondering if it is worth the risk/hassle that I 'may' get at immigration coming back in, ie can you be guaranteed to sail through just because you haven't visited one of the 11?

I really wouldn't want to have all the hassle of possible quarantine, filing medical reports etc when it's easily avoided. Also, I rent a house with the contract in the wife's name, so would be difficult for me to prove where I stay if it did come to that?

Decisions, decisions..

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Just looking for a bit of general advice..I am 'slated'  to go to Siem Reap next Friday for 3 days, it's not vital that I go and worse case would lose Bt3.5k on the flight. Now I know that Cambodia isn't on the so called 11 risk countries but I'm now wondering if it is worth the risk/hassle that I 'may' get at immigration coming back in, ie can you be guaranteed to sail through just because you haven't visited one of the 11?

I really wouldn't want to have all the hassle of possible quarantine, filing medical reports etc when it's easily avoided. Also, I rent a house with the contract in the wife's name, so would be difficult for me to prove where I stay if it did come to that?

Decisions, decisions..

With no chinese tour buses that make up 2/3 of the temple visitors, this is the ideal time to visit SiemReap and the absolutely amazing Angkor Wat complex of temples (Angkor Wat being the biggest but in no way, the most impressive of the huge temple complex scattered around SiemReap).  I would say > Postpone a cancellation decision to very last minute and only do so when Cambodia makes the Risk Country list.

Re the rental house contract on your wife's name, that does not absolve your landlord from filing a TM30 of you staying at his premises.  So normally your local IO should be aware of you living at that rental condo. 
For sure they need your address when you apply for an extension of stay, so if you got that extension of stay IO knows where you are residing.

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

With no chinese tour buses that make up 2/3 of the temple visitors, this is the ideal time to visit SiemReap and the absolutely amazing Angkor Wat complex of temples (Angkor Wat being the biggest but in no way, the most impressive of the huge temple complex scattered around SiemReap).  I would say > Postpone a cancellation decision to very last minute and only do so when Cambodia makes the Risk Country list.

Re the rental house contract on your wife's name, that does not absolve your landlord from filing a TM30 of you staying at his premises.  So normally your local IO should be aware of you living at that rental condo. 
For sure they need your address when you apply for an extension of stay, so if you got that extension of stay IO knows where you are residing.

Cheers for that and a good point about the Chinese. Yes I think leaving it to the last min is the way to go.

Don't want to go too deep into visas etc but I don't stay on an extension, so like I say will have a problem for sure if asked at bkk imm for prove of where I stay/live. That is what worries me, in theory if Cambodia isn't on the list I shouldn't be asked, but no guarantee of that of course.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 1:17 PM, Tayaout said:

The logic is that if you can't see it then it doesn't exist. 

I had to cross the border not long ago and gloves and mask are not usefull. It's pretty difficult to properly remove/store/put a new mask while keeping your hands desinfected/not contaminating everything. That's unfortunate since it's one the only place where it was really needed in my case. If you want to do it by the book you need at least 2 masks, 2 pair of gloves, desinfecting gel and a garbage bag each time you cross the border. 

Short of wearing a hazmat suit you ain't going to protect yourself by using a mask and gloves. Either you have a good immune system or you are DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEEEDDDDDDD.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:19 PM, ukrules said:

They don't give a fqck if you get infected or not.

agreed there

Thailand want more people to snuff in country so they can get more money ripping families off with death stuff

theres propably a department  of some sort dedicated to knocking a few people off per month

On 3/1/2020 at 9:34 PM, Laza 45 said:

make sure you wash your hands aftet taking a <deleted> and dont lick your poo ridden fingers

also, after being with your bargirls and giving her a good old rumping clean your privates throuroghly especially if you have just barebacked your true love you only met a few minutes ago. If you go in digitally then scrub the hell out of your hands and preferably get your true love to shave the southern region so you can make a full inspection before any entering takes place, as for oral stimulation from your true love, make sure firstly they use at least a cupful of strong mouthwash and that you evidcence they use it.

good luck with your true loves over there.