Water Pump recommendation

MJCM

Need your help again.

I am looking for recommendations for a Water pump.

I have been looking at all kinds of water pumps but I can't get my head around "total suction head" and "total discharge head"

So, what the pump needs to do is:

Suck water from a Lake, which is located approx 10 meters from the pump and then send the water approx 40+ meters away to a storage tank.  Please Note: The pump is located approx 2-3 meters above the water level.

I would like to have a good flow going into Storage tank, so which of these pumps WOULD you recommend?

I would choose the WT-P300XS but I'm not sure if its right for the job.

pumps.JPG.2625f3026d886c600f5a7ce48eaaf6f8.JPG

Thanks in Advance

:wai:

Thx @saengd and @Crossy

Storage Tank: is approx 2-2500 liters.

Good Flow I mean that it doesn't take 2 hours to fill the tank ????

Usage: Garden only because that is a "communal" lake and in the evening people take their Water Buffalo's to go for a dip and thus I don't think it's advisable to use it for anything else.

Crossy, question: are those pumps AUTO or not?

I had such a pump before (different brand), originally was NOT automatic, but fitted a pressure switch and we changed it 3-4 times and thus I stopped using that pump and bought one of those Hitachi, but that was only for a small garden.

FWIW we have a 2,000 litre tank in the garden that we fill with water from the klong using a standard 1 hp, 1 inch centrifugal pump, a float valve inside the tank activates the pump whenever the tank is half empty. The size of you pipe work is important, don't use anything less than 1 inch pipe and preferably 1.5 inch, you can reduce it at the pump and the tank but using 1.5 inch pipe will reduce friction loss and improve flow - it also helps if you avoid 90 degree bends, use two back to back 45 degree bends instead. It takes around 12 minutes to pump 1,000 litres into the tank so a 1 hp pump is good enough for us.

• Like 1

Sorry if I confused the picture for you with pressure switches, my setup is fairly elaborate so here's what I have.

Centrifugal pump A lifts water from klong to pump and then direct to sprinkler system pipework, lift height is two metres, a pressure switch detects need for flow and activates the pump when sprinklers are turned on and demand is sensed.

Same pump above can be manually switched to take water from a shallow well whenever the klong runs dry, maximum lift height is under nine metres, the same pressure switch senses demand.

A Deep Well submersible pump pumps water from a deep well (32 metres) into 2k liter storage tank, float valve in the tank detects water level and activates the pump.

Centrifugal pump B takes water from the tank and feeds the sprinkler system based on demand that is controlled via a pressure switch.

Hope that all makes sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MJCM said:

No, but easy to "automate".

Don't use a pressure switch, use a two-float switch, our 2 horse beastie has been working on one of these for a number of years with no issues. Don't use a float valve, feed your inlet pipe directly into the top of the tank.

32340968694-kfhtb1swu6qpxxxxbyxxxxq6xxfx

• Like 2

The pumps listed in the OP are turbine type with very close fitting impellers that are not very forgiving to particle contamination from a pond.

Regular centrifugal pumps as shown in post #3 would be a better choice.

Something  like a 1HP Venz VM100 or similar would do the job.

http://www.venz.co.th/prd/waterpump_single_vm.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I had such a pump before (different brand), originally was NOT automatic, but fitted a pressure switch and we changed it 3-4 times and thus I stopped using that pump and bought one of those Hitachi, but that was only for a small garden.

As has been said you are looking at totally the wrong kind of pump that is designed for a completely different job. 

There are 2 kinds of pump designed for your purpose both of them can be controlled by the float switch @Crossy has illustrated.

The kinds of pump he has are best in 2 situations 1) where you do not have complete control of the water source so have to suck from outside your controlled area. 2) where you don’t need to suck at all and the water is gravity feed. They certainly work in other situations but not as well.

The second kind Is like this

AD52CFC5-DB78-4E01-871D-22AFD33805D0.jpeg.59220a8c19df8ff4f196f601f89129d4.jpeg2D8D3D21-3E81-4595-823F-67B024570CB7.jpeg.73ca5e940de1a7b40ef8229f8d368127.jpeg

As you suspend this in the lake you get a much greater flow from a less powerful pump, around double the flow for a given power.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As has been said you are looking at totally the wrong kind of pump that is designed for a completely different job. 

There are 2 kinds of pump designed for your purpose both of them can be controlled by the float switch @Crossy has illustrated.

The kinds of pump he has are best in 2 situations 1) where you do not have complete control of the water source so have to suck from outside your controlled area. 2) where you don’t need to suck at all and the water is gravity feed. They certainly work in other situations but not as well.

The second kind Is like this

AD52CFC5-DB78-4E01-871D-22AFD33805D0.jpeg.59220a8c19df8ff4f196f601f89129d4.jpeg2D8D3D21-3E81-4595-823F-67B024570CB7.jpeg.73ca5e940de1a7b40ef8229f8d368127.jpeg

As you suspend this in the lake you get a much greater flow from a less powerful pump, around double the flow for a given power.

Thx.

The 2nd option is NOT an option. I personally like that option but because the pump will be permanently located on the other side of the road near the lake it needs to be in safe environment (read: not easy to steal) so we going to build a "house" for it.

But we currently use one of these for "odd" jobs, but unfortunately not suited for this job.

Edited by MJCM

If you're new to buying pumps they are sold based on HP rating and outlet pipe size, 0.75hp or 1 hp is entirely adequate for us, 1 inch outlet feeds 130 metres of sprinkler pipe and 13 outlets using 1.5 inch pipe (sized up).

Saxon is a decent brand we've had success with, around 4.500 baht.

• Like 1