Banned Thai billionaire politician vows to press fight for democracy

rooster59

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Nothing magnifies and inspires a movement like a bit of gaol.

Nelson Mandela, Ghandi, the Burmese lady whose name I cant spell, even Adolf Hitler.

They all did a bit of porridge 

1 minute ago, Nsp64 said:

Nelson Mandela, Ghandi, the Burmese lady whose name I cant spell, even Adolf Hitler.

They all did a bit of porridge 

Iosef Vissarionovich did a stretch or two in Vologda....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think almost any system could work if voters would care, learn and make educated decisions

Continuous voting. I haven't even seen it been discussed anywhere. It's where people would have an ongoing vote on any given matter and would be free to change it 24/7/365. Introduce hysteresis so when a threshold, say 75%, is passed whatever it was automatically executes. 25% and it reverses. Blockchain could do this easily. No politician on the planet wants this type of system.

• Like 1

I don't understand the media's (and I'm talking about western outlets reporting) obsession with calling him a "billionare". Yes, he is very rich, but he is a Baht billionare. The media doesn't report on other baht billionares in such a way...it's like they're trying to find false equivalence with Taksin, but Thanthorn is a long way poorer than Big T.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:
9 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

And so it ends.He will be campaigning in gaol also.And/or in another country.Next please.

Nothing magnifies and inspires a movement like a bit of gaol.

Good point. However, I am having a problem making a list notable Thai political personages who have gone to jail for their true beliefs.

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

I don't understand the media's (and I'm talking about western outlets reporting) obsession with calling him a "billionare". Yes, he is very rich, but he is a Baht billionare. The media doesn't report on other baht billionares in such a way...it's like they're trying to find false equivalence with Taksin, but Thanthorn is a long way poorer than Big T.

Can you think of a better way of indicating to the average foreign news reader that Thanathorn is independently very wealthy? I am not sure that the average foreign news reader remembers Thaksin anyway. He is mostly a forgotten figure in his homeland, especially with the younger, more worldly electorate.

Edited by NanLaew

A post containing veiled references to the King of Thailand has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.