Government looking at ways to lower public electricity bills

rooster59

Watch these knobs do something like handout free led bulbs and then freak out when some farang does not take one:)

Best thing they could do is simply enforce against these landlords ripping poor thais for double or triple the govt rate.

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Make it illegal to run the a/c thermostat lower than 29C instead of 22 or lower which is par for the course. Especially at shopping malls where the doors are open perhaps 12 hours a day with the air con cooling the street.

Why? I have to ask - the optimal temperature for the human body is <23°c & around 50% humidity, it's healthier, keeps the immune system boosted - (a challenge in these troubled times), people work more efficiently in cool temperatures, we need to get rid of heat, not store it, we sleep better when it's cooler, the body is able to rest and recuperate better so why would you want people to sweat and swelter in a far from optimal environment.

The only possible reason is financial? shopping centres make lots of money, they have budgeted for AC, I budgeted to stay cool in my old age, oil is cheap and plentiful, why on earth would I choose to stay in a hot, humid, uncomfortable environment when I have the option of being comfortable and healthy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

"Government looking at ways to lower public electricity bills".....Don't charge so much....!

This seems so obvious and does away with the need for a committee and free lunches .... oh.

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2020 at 11:08 AM, pdtokyo said:

Rooftop solar is a no brainer, mega in Oz but i'm amazed at the near-total absence of PV in Thailand ... maybe there are solar farms hidden away somewhere but rooftop? can't see it at all.

Rooftop solar is a very low-hanging-fruit sort of project (i gather Thai government is partial to low-hanging-fruit) ...

(1) Set up a simple-ish rebate scheme (copy and paste Oz scheme if you can't be bothered designing one yourself) ...

(2) Direct your government departments to use it ...

(3) Make it available to ordinary consumers and watch them lap it up too ...

(4) Wait a couple of years and slowly start withdrawing subsidy

(5) Hey, maybe even encourage a few solar panel factories to re-locate from China.

Worked beautifully in Oz.

Except for (5) ... that would be science fiction in Oz.

Troll alert: please don't bother posting that PV doesn't work in Thai because of the air pollution ... there is a degradation ... but it's been measured for example at about 10% in Delhi, so usually not a show-stopper. Yes, it is a tiny font, if you are a troll, i want you to get eye-strain.

Worked beautifully ? Really

It was the biggest stuff up ever and increased the cost of electricity by about 20%, which continues today.

The scheme involved buying electricity from household solar systems at an inflated rate, about 60% more than the supply rate and selling it back to consumers at the standard rates.

The difference or loss was made up by an increase in the standard tariffs to other consumers

If the solar industry could stand on its own there would be no need for government incentives. The solar solution is not thousands of individual systems. Yes, there are some advantages such as limited transmission losses but these small systems have caused numerous localised problems especially when continuing to feed into the system when sections require isolation for repairs or line work.

The solar incentive scheme was not aimed at developing an efficient renewable energy system but was done purely to meet a enewable enervy target by a certain date and at any cost to the tax payer. A typical labour government stuff up just like the home insulation scheme.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

but these small systems have caused numerous localised problems especially when continuing to feed into the system when sections require isolation for repairs or line work.

Hard to understand as grid tie inverters stop when they lose the grid.

Sounds like BS to me.

Why not just teach the peasants how to turn off the lights, fans, TVs, etc. when those rooms/appliances are not in use? 

Would save both money AND energy. 

I can just hear "Why you thing too mutch?"

Edited by djayz
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hard to understand as grid tie inverters stop when they lose the grid.

Sounds like BS to me.

They should disconnect but don't always. If the total connected input is greater than the demand, or close to it, there is no feedback that the grid is down.

Not BS. Just fact. I suggest you read up on the numerous problems these systems pose to grid reliability before posted incorrect unqualified opinions

Edited by Reigntax

There shouldn't be too many complaints about electric bills here...unless you have a crook meter.  With one air con on all night and 3 or 4 swing fans on early Morning till late at night, plus 10 or 12 lights on evening, plus microwave oven and coffee maker use and 3 Shed fans plus electric welder and grinders, drills,  etc in the shed several days a month our power bill is usually just under or over a 1000 baht. Not something you can complain about! 

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling