Private Aircraft to Get Mr. Bitey to Kasetsart Univ on Wednesday?

NancyL

35 minutes ago, tonray said:

Thank you for the link, but this didn't work out.  They use the cargo services of the commercial airlines and no airline in Thailand permits a pet to be in the cabin.  While I know that the cargo holds for animals are climate controlled, I don't want him to be out on the tarmac or in a warehouse and the cargo transport vehicles in the heat.  This company can't arrange for a private flight.

Driving is definitely NOT an options; it's what, a 12 hour trip to Bangkok? He never settles down in a car, not even on a return trip from the vet.  Most animals figure out that they're coming home from the vet and calm down, but Mr. Bitey still keeps up 12 complaints a minute on the return trip.  Loud meows like he's a Siamese cat. He'd be totally worn out on a long trip.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Driving is definitely NOT an options; it's what, a 12 hour trip to Bangkok? He never settles down in a car, not even on a return trip from the vet.  Most animals figure out that they're coming home from the vet and calm down, but Mr. Bitey still keeps up 12 complaints a minute on the return trip.  Loud meows like he's a Siamese cat. He'd be totally worn out on a long trip.

You're right with your priorities, the cat's comfort and lack of stress is so much more important than it's health and survival.  How on earth could anyone consider temporarily stressing an animal (that could easily be lightly sedated for car travel) in favour of it's health?

• Like 1

I don't know the situation regarding acceptance of non-commercial flights into Don Mueang but:

Go to local flying club and ask around if anyone will take you if you pay half "running costs".

Perhaps against the law if you offer to pay all the costs, which may turn a private flight into a commercial flight under Thai aviation law.

Someone with a "Cessna" (and Instrument Rating?) may be interested.

Landing fee at DMK, for a light aeroplane, about 1200baht.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Aircon overnight First Class train

2500 THB for one person for full compartment

https://www.chiangmaitraveller.com/bangkok-chiang-mai-overnight-sleeper-train/

Thought of this mode of transport already.  Unfortunately, pets are permitted only on 3rd class  of Thai trains.  People have smuggled small dogs onto 1st class compartments of Thai trains, but Mr. Bitey is very vocal so this option is a no-go.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

You're right with your priorities, the cat's comfort and lack of stress is so much more important than it's health and survival.  How on earth could anyone consider temporarily stressing an animal (that could easily be lightly sedated for car travel) in favour of it's health?

We don't have a car.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NancyL said:
2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

We don't have a car.   

You don't have a plane either!    Maybe you could rent a car but strange that you didn't mention that before when you were talking about cars...

"Driving is definitely NOT an options; it's what, a 12 hour trip to Bangkok? He never settles down in a car, not even on a return trip from the vet.  Most animals figure out that they're coming home from the vet and calm down, but Mr. Bitey still keeps up 12 complaints a minute on the return trip.  Loud meows like he's a Siamese cat. He'd be totally worn out on a long trip".

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2

There are flying clubs at Chiang Mai, why not contact them?   Bear in mind, though, that most private pilots won't be licenced for commercial flights which is what your flight would be.

www.cmflyingclub.com

www.lanna-flyingclub.com

Edited by Just Weird

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

Ballpark figure for fuel cost, return flight Chiang-DMK-Chiang, in Cessna 152 = 12-15000 baht.

Have you ever flown in a C-152.  I used to fly one.  You probably couldn't hear Mr. Bitey over the engine noise, but the cat would be a wreak.  Imho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Have you ever flown in a C-152.  I used to fly one.  You probably couldn't hear Mr. Bitey over the engine noise, but the cat would be a wreak.  Imho.

Yes, but he'd be tranquilized for a shorter period of time than if I rented a car and driver.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NancyL said:

Thank you for the link, but this didn't work out.  They use the cargo services of the commercial airlines and no airline in Thailand permits a pet to be in the cabin.  While I know that the cargo holds for animals are climate controlled, I don't want him to be out on the tarmac or in a warehouse and the cargo transport vehicles in the heat.  This company can't arrange for a private flight.

What about a Vet approved sedative for the car trip ?

• Like 1

Don't Thonglor Pet Clinic (Chiang Mai) have the equipment needed. Just a thought as they seem to be the most well equipped.

On the up side it would be easy to get a car hire with driver as they are all crying out for business at the moment.

18 hours ago, NancyL said:

Update from Mr. Bitey's Chiang Mai vet.  She's talked with the Kasetsart professor and he wants her to do the surgery to remove the lump here first before he sees Mr. Bitey and they will start the radiation at the University while he still has his stitches.  So, the surgery is now scheduled for Friday morning and I will take Mr. Bitey down to Don Muang/Kasetsat next Wednesday, 18 March.  This gives me another week to try to locate a private aircraft for the trip. 

Then it's back to CMU for the chemo. 

Presumably the Kasetsart professor has liaised with CMU already - they have oncologists but can't do the radiotherapy?

19 hours ago, connda said:

Indeed I have.

It's what I learned on in the USA.

Not nearly as much fun as a PA-18, which was what I flew in the UK.

Edited by Enoon

Global warming

child poverty

Millions starving

100,000’s displaced by war

food banks in western world

mass unemployment

sexual slavery

need I go on???

Give the thing to me, I’ll put it out it’s misery and won’t charge you a penny.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, orang37 said:

While I recognize the deep bonds that can develop between people and "pets" ... and, I am a cat lover/worshipper ... I find the idea of heroic and costly interventions to extend the life of a pet already "old" biologically, in an environment full of abandoned pets, feral cats, stray kittens ... a strange choice.

At the same time, I find myself wishing I had someone that devoted to me !

~o:37;

So don't make that choice then.