A Warning About Stroke

pumpuiman

I've just had the most terrifying few days of my life.

My 82 year old father suffered a brain aneurysm on Tuesday night, and had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency brain surgery.

He fell down suddenly at home. His girlfriend came to his aid.....he said he didn't remember falling, but he felt fine....just a little sore from the fall.

He insisted that he did not need medical attention, and just wanted to go to bed.

If he had, he would be dead now.

His girlfriend had called me to let me know he fell....I insisted he go to the hospital.

He argued for nearly an hour with myself, my sister and brother...insisting he was fine.

He only relented after vomiting, and nearly fainting again.

He was having his skull opened an hour later.

His prognosis is good after surgery...we are praying for a full recovery.

His life was spared only because he fell within a 3 hour window of opportunity to begin surgery.

Please be aware that many victims of aneurysm or stroke won't realize there is a problem...until it is too late.

The warning signs are...

* Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body

* Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding

* Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes

* Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination

* Sudden, severe headache with no known cause

Call 9-1-1 immediately if you experience symptoms!

Time lost is brain lost!

Please check this website for information. It could save a loved ones....or your own life.

Stroke information

My 82 year old father suffered a brain aneurysm on Tuesday night, and had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency brain surgery.

He fell down suddenly at home. His girlfriend came to his aid.....he said he didn't remember falling, but he felt fine....just a little sore from the fall.

He insisted that he did not need medical attention, and just wanted to go to bed.

His girlfriend had called me to let me know he fell....I insisted he go to the hospital.

He argued for nearly an hour with myself, my sister and brother...insisting he was fine.

His life was spared only because he fell within a 3 hour window of opportunity to begin surgery.

Please be aware that many victims of aneurysm or stroke won't realize there is a problem...until it is too late.

The warning signs are...

* Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body

Time lost is brain lost!

Please check this website for information. It could save a loved ones....or your own life.

Stroke information

Thanks for the warnings about this potentially serious problem

forewarned is forearmed

hope your dad makes a full mind and body recovery

take care

Jing-Jo

Good you saved your father's life. I hope he has a speedy and full recovery.

Here four simple tests for people in your situation:

- ask the person to smile (this will not be possible – paralysis)

- ask the person to say a simple sentence, for instance: it is a beautiful day today

- ask the person to lift both arms

- ask the person to stick his/her tongue out. If the tongue is bent and does not come out in a straight way, this could be a sign for a stroke, too.

If the person fails in those tests he/she needs to go to see a doctor, no matter how fine he/she feels.

- ask the person to say a simple sentence, for instance: it is a beautiful day today

- ask the person to stick his/her tongue out. If the tongue is bent and does not come out in a straight way, this could be a sign for a stroke, too.

If the person fails in those tests he/she needs to go to see a doctor, no matter how fine he/she feels.

Thanks for the tests. I just want to stress how important it is to respond quickly to the first signs.

DO NOT WAIT, CALL FOR HELP IMMEDIATELY!!!

The first three tests are the first three letters of the word "stroke": Smile Talk Raise. It has been an easy way for me to remember it. I may even have read that here on ThaiVisa some time ago?

Also, if a stroke is even remotely considered possible, do NOT give aspirin, no matter how big or small the headache may be. Aspirin can be deadly in certain types of strokes.

The warning signs are...

Time lost is brain lost!

Stroke information

Thanks so much for posting details of the web site, it has helped no end.

Dad now moved to rehab hospital. He is extremely fatigued and sometimes confused, but the doctors are hopeful of a full recovery.

Once again, to all my friends here....I hope you will stop to take a few minutes to educate yourself, and take a look at the link in my first post.

It could make the difference between visiting a loved one in the hospital, or attending their funeral.

wow. sorry. good luck w/ it.

ive been back taking care of my mother who took a tumble and broke her ankle. thankfully, im going back in a few days.

seems like a dozen people my parents know since ive been back have had serious health issues or even died. my aunt had a stroke - half paralyzed now.

one of the most difficult things is how stubborn old people are. i can see your father arguing with you about not wanting to go hospital.

its going to be bloody hel_l taking care of my mother and even my father in a few years. stubborn, insistant and given to sentimentality. my mother almost refuses to listen to common sense unless it orginates in her own mind. shes also very slow to act on her medical needs - can always wait...

• 1 month later...

My stroke happened on May 23. I could smile, talk, and my right side of my face merely tingled (no facial droop). My right arm, however, lay dead on my side. I diagnosed that I must be having a stroke, and had my boyfriend immediately take me to my cardiologist at the hospital.

My sister reminded me that when my low-functioning stepmother and my mentally-handicapped halfsister had their spouses suffer a seriously disabling stroke, neither of them did anything for hours. I believe both of the husbads never fully recovered. Don't be stupid, and don't be stubborn.

I'm recovering fine, and just can't type accurately with my right hand, but I'm typing. The doctor released me after 53 hours, and let me go on a trip to Ireland. I even went 3.5 days without my medication! Returning to Thailand in two days.