Drought disasters declared in 23 provinces

webfact

On 3/11/2020 at 7:13 AM, Prairieboy said:

Does anyone have any idea how much water is 'wasted' during Songkran?  Many commentators on TV seem to think it is a tremendous amount - any numbers to back-up these claims?

Probably less than what all these foreigners use flushing their western style toilet.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Probably less than what all these foreigners use flushing their western style toilet.

Indeed, or use in their swimming pools, water they are taking away from the farmers! ???? 

There have been numerous Songkrans when it has rained, but lets ignore that also! ????

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CGW said:

Indeed, or use in their swimming pools, water they are taking away from the farmers! ???? 

Pools recirculate the water, only what evaporates is replaced. Once filled, maintaining a pool doesn't take that much water. 

Long showers, watering the garden seem to be the main culprits I've identified in our household.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Pools recirculate the water, only what evaporates is replaced. Once filled, maintaining a pool doesn't take that much water. 

One thing I have noticed since moving from Pattaya to the North East where the humidity is ~20% less is the evaporation rate of the pool water is much higher, have to fill regularly, every few days. When the pool was first installed I thought it had a leak!

I was jesting, if every pool in Thailand was emptied it would make no discernible difference to the water situation, as banning the throwing of a little water during Sonkran wouldn't make any difference, apart from appeasing those who hate it. ???? 

1 hour ago, CGW said:

banning the throwing of a little water during Sonkran wouldn't make any difference, apart from appeasing those who hate it. ???? 

Yeah, it's not that much. Case in point, the Maprachan reservoir in Pattaya (which currently has zero usable water, too low already) hasn't really show any dip around Songkran in 2018 or 2019:

https://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/show_sm_dam.php?lang=en

Capture.JPG.3bc094385d0491f5189c9dda0dc734e4.JPG

It's just a few of flushes of toilet per person fighting with a squirt gun.