Chiang Mai presently ‘most polluted city in world’

webfact

10 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

The farmers did it and the PM and the Chinese, not me with my car and my motorcycle...

So your car and motorcycle are carbon neutral? The pollution would be helped year round if they bothered to create a proper public transport network and get the red trucks and Tuk tuks off the roads. By proper network I mean one that takes people far and wide and not just the current capatilist bus network they have, that basically ferries people between all the shopping malls in town and the airport. 

How sad. Pollution caused by burning was already a problem in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai when I first visited 30 years ago.  They spend decades twiddling their thumbs doing nothing about the problem.  Now it is much worse and can't be glossed over.  So the tourist industry has to suffer permanent damage, not just in the North but many tourists will not come to Thailand at all because of this.  That is not to mention the damage to the environment and the health of local people.  Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

How sad. Pollution caused by burning was already a problem in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai when I first visited 30 years ago.  They spend decades twiddling their thumbs doing nothing about the problem.  Now it is much worse and can't be glossed over.  So the tourist industry has to suffer permanent damage, not just in the North but many tourists will not come to Thailand at all because of this.  That is not to mention the damage to the environment and the health of local people.  Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

That'll be why you can hardly walk through the night-market from 5.30 pm because of all the hordes of tourists who are not visiting.

7 hours ago, jamesmith said:

I live in Doisaket, from my window, I can see the mountain is burning now

Same in Hua Hin they burn all night. Woke up to 2.5 PM of 166 aqi this morning. Thailand has three seasons, burn, burn and burn some more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Logosone said:

Total horse manure.

I could easily leave Chiang Mai, but it's the last thing I'd want to do. Leave the best city in Thailand, with a French bakery that is as good as Paris, a French butcher as good as you'd find London, a host of superb massage spas taught by the finest massage colleges in Thailand? To say nothing of the choice of restaurants, Taiwanese, French, German, Italian, American, Dutch, Mexican, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Chinese, at very cheap prices. Cheap and reliable super fast internet. A huge choice of supermarkets, some geared at expats selling French, Italian, Spanish, German, American, New Zealand, Australian, UAE, Japanese, Korean and Thai products? 

Then all the attractions geared at tourists, Cafes where you can do archery. Tiger cub parks. Night Safari. 5 world class equestrian centres. Trex Waterpark. An ice skating rink

You don't get that in Melbourne do you? I thank my lucky stars I don't have to live in Australia, the end of the world.

And to blame cancer on bad air is just ludicrous. Where's the evidence the bad air causes cancer? Cancer happens, and it happens everywhere, including Australia.

I'm in no way an 'unbeliever'. You only believe where you do not 'know'. I know the air is bad now. I equally know in November the air is supa fine and has no issues at all.

So spare me the Ozzie horse manure.

Of course bad air causes cancer ie smoking. Google it.

It seems all you do is eat.

• Like 2

The air we breathe is filled with cancer-causing substances,” said Kurt Straif, PhD, head of the IARC Monographs Section. “Outdoor air pollution is not only a major environmental risk to health in general, it is the most important environmental cancer killer due to the large number of people exposed.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Logosone said:

Total horse manure.

I could easily leave Chiang Mai, but it's the last thing I'd want to do. Leave the best city in Thailand, with a French bakery that is as good as Paris, a French butcher as good as you'd find London, a host of superb massage spas taught by the finest massage colleges in Thailand? To say nothing of the choice of restaurants, Taiwanese, French, German, Italian, American, Dutch, Mexican, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Chinese, at very cheap prices. Cheap and reliable super fast internet. A huge choice of supermarkets, some geared at expats selling French, Italian, Spanish, German, American, New Zealand, Australian, UAE, Japanese, Korean and Thai products? 

Then all the attractions geared at tourists, Cafes where you can do archery. Tiger cub parks. Night Safari. 5 world class equestrian centres. Trex Waterpark. An ice skating rink

You don't get that in Melbourne do you? I thank my lucky stars I don't have to live in Australia, the end of the world.

And to blame cancer on bad air is just ludicrous. Where's the evidence the bad air causes cancer? Cancer happens, and it happens everywhere, including Australia.

I'm in no way an 'unbeliever'. You only believe where you do not 'know'. I know the air is bad now. I equally know in November the air is supa fine and has no issues at all.

So spare me the Ozzie horse manure.

what bakery is it that you are referring to?

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

It's near the French butcher which is a good as any you would find in London, not Paris.

????

Kind of hard to eat wearing a gas mask! Enjoying the good life living in the the most polluted city on the planet. The bakery is to die for...???? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, UbonThani said:

The air we breathe is filled with cancer-causing substances,” said Kurt Straif, PhD, head of the IARC Monographs Section. “Outdoor air pollution is not only a major environmental risk to health in general, it is the most important environmental cancer killer due to the large number of people exposed.”

Hmmm.........This is a very complicated matter. Cancer risk is increased by all sorts of things, but the root cause is mutations in DNA (Sometimes RNA) due to failures in the copying system. This copying system (And the associated repair mechanism) get less efficient as we grow older. The vast majority of mutations are harmless, but ones that inactivate the cell's self destruct mechanism (Apoptosis) are potentially deadly.

The effect of irritants like tobacco smoke, is well documented, they increase the risk, in the case of tobacco quite dramatically. Obesity is now also seen as a major risk factor.

Many heavy smokers living in the worst possible conditions never get lung cancer. Non smoking shepherds living in the pure mountain air (The Alps for example) sometimes do. Genetic predisposition can play a big part. 

The argument which runs "My uncle and three of my mates........etc etc", is statistically illiterate.  

Edited by Nigel Garvie
  • Thanks 1

Environmental terrorists!

The ignorance and greed of these people is unbelievable!

They should try compoosting and enjoy free fertilier. And are they encroaching on public land when they burn trees?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Venom said:

Kind of hard to eat wearing a gas mask! Enjoying the good life living in the the most polluted city on the planet. The bakery is to die for...???? 

One of the ways the Corona Virus spreads is via breath. One of the ways idiots spread is via TVF.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Venom said:

My God what nincompoopery.

Last time I checked nobody's wearing gas masks in Chiang Mai. Nor indeed do most bother with any mask outside. Not everyone is made of light sugar particles that dissolve when a few microns of air hit them.

Even with the bad air, indoors the air quality is world class thanks to Dutch technology air filtering.

Even during bad air days I don't bother with a mask, and lo and behold I've not dropped dead from nose hair cancer nor do I need a respirator to survive.

And yes, the bakeries here are world class, better than most in Paris, the coffee is world class though perhaps Savini's in London is still a bit better, Anyway, pardon me as I have to go out sample one of the many top class restaurants. Looking forward to my massage from a beautiful northern thai girl later. The laps in the swimming pool were hard work earlier though.

Yah, it's real hell living in Chiang Mai....????

Edited by Logosone
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

I see that you are in complete denial, sorry but there is nothing we can do to help you

Actually I don't live near Da Nile, I live near Da Ping River.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Haha 2