Lazada charged with overpricing masks

snoop1130

Lazada charged with overpricing masks

By The Nation

800_c0cc82c4e40f6a2.jpg

Lazada, the Singapore-based online retailer owned by Chinese giant Alibaba, has been charged with overcharging for protective facemasks in Thailand.

Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said on Wednesday (March 11) that other online shopping platforms could expect warnings about pricing.

DD Pharma, a drugstore in Nakhon Pathom, was found to be stocking 28 packs of facemasks with Lazada codes on the labels. 

A second pharmacy in Nakhon Pathom had the price at Bt26. The online 928 Shop was selling them for Bt22 apiece.

Jurin and the director of the Department of Internal Trade said the Commerce Ministry’s permanent secretary would send the other platforms official documents detailing the law and punishment.

Jurin said retail outlets also face prosecution if they attach “unreasonably expensive” shipping costs, even if the product price is in accordance with the law.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383870

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-11

9 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Lazada is a platform, not a retailer. Have they gone for the retailers then?

Are you sure that the retailers are responsible for all the prices?

I ask because too often I see things which are, considering the real value, sold very expensive on Lazada. Often with a total ridiculously "before discount" price and then a slightly less ridiculously price after discount.

It seems these "promotions" happen all the time independent of the retailers.

I remember one electronic shop which I visit sometimes offline in the real world. They had "promotions" on Lazada which I find hard to believe that they made up those prices. Like selling electronic parts which cost normally 10B for maybe 60B "after discount".

• Like 1

I have been trying to get one of those high tensile strength mask but I can't seem to find any at local shops.

Local shops sell only those single layer cotton mask that isn't effective.

However, I am reluctant to buy from Lazada because I can't feel the product etc.

The biggest issue is that the good masks are almost all made in China and they just aren't shipping. The stupid masks they're giving away/wearing here aren't good for toffee... 

Let's hope China recovers and gets some orders out before we get hit too hard. Meanwhile I'm staying home quite a bit more...

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

I have been trying to get one of those high tensile strength mask but I can't seem to find any at local shops.

Local shops sell only those single layer cotton mask that isn't effective.

However, I am reluctant to buy from Lazada because I can't feel the product etc.

And because it shows as in stock on Lazada doesn't mean it actually is in stock.

Lately loads and loads of products listed on Lazada, delivery in 3 - 5 days, after you have ordered there is no progress in the handling.

Then when you start questioning them they will tell you they have no stock at all.

If you ordered COD no big issue, but if you paid with credit card the hassle to get a refund, which takes several weeks to complete, start.

• Like 1

Thailand files complaint against e-commerce platform Lazada for overpriced masks

2020-03-11T165209Z_1_LYNXMPEG2A1VH_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

A couple travel in the skytrain wearing protective masks due to the coronavirus outbreak in Bangkok, Thailand March 9, 2020. Picture taken March 9, 2020. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand’s Commerce Ministry on Wednesday filed a complaint against the Alibaba backed e-commerce platform Lazada after investigations found that surgical masks were being sold at excessively high prices, a senior official said.

The country, which has 59 confirmed coronavirus cases, last month classified surgical masks and hand sanitiser as controlled goods, allowing it to set price ceilings and better control distribution.

“The Commerce Ministry will take legal action against Lazada in three cases,” Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanavisit told reporters at a news conference.

Three online shops that operate on the platform were found to be selling surgical masks at prices that were excessively high and above the control price of 2.5 baht per mask, Jurin said.

The three shops sold masks at an average price of between 22 baht to 26 baht, he said, adding that the owners could face up to seven years of prison time and a fine of up to 140,000 baht ($4,460.02).

Ministry officials have filed a complaint against the first vendor with the police and plan to file complaints about the two others.

They have also notified the chief executive of Lazada in Thailand who, as an intermediary, is punishable under the same laws, the minister said, adding that the government had previously warned e-commerce marketplaces to be careful in policing illegal activity on their platforms.

Lazada said: "We have been supporting measures by the Department of Internal Trade to maintain reasonable pricing for essential items, including face masks. We are aware of the Minister of Commerce’s comments and are currently conducting an internal investigation."

"We are actively monitoring the COVID-19 situation and new regulations, to educate the sellers on our platform. If any seller persists in inflating the prices of masks, Lazada will remove the listing," the statement said.

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Kirsten Donovan and Jane Merriman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-12

7 minutes ago, burgdawg said:

Lazada is a rip off outfit. Refuse to do business with them. I sent them 10k baht for phone that never materialized. They laughed and said "stupid falang." 

Avoid these clowns like the plague they are. I dealt with a thief there named "Hub Bin."

Goog Search them---nothing but bad strikes against them. Just another rip-off Thai concern masquerading as business. Yes, I have proof. 

I have proof over 300 orders with no problems. So I keep using them. Not saying you cant get bad service or bad luck.

• Like 1

Lazada is a rip off outfit. Refuse to do business with them. I sent them 10k baht for phone that never materialized. They laughed and said "stupid falang." 

Avoid these clowns like the plague they are. I dealt with a thief there named "Hub Bin."

Goog Search them---nothing but bad strikes against them. Just another rip-off Thai concern masquerading as business. Yes, I have proof: Police Report, bank report. Contact me and I will relay information to you on this shady Thai robbery front. Avoid Lazada, you've been warned. Yes, Alibaba,. why don't you contact me to straighten out your Bangkok Theft Dept.

• Sad 1

A free market economy is all about supply and demand. One should be able to charge whatever the market will bear for non-essentials, which includes those almost useless surgical face masks available on and offline. 

What my mea and I want to know is when the  government intends to bring price-gouging durian sellers to heel. It's costing me a fortune to keeping on life support till her next fruity fix. As with the corona virus, she blames the ruddy Chinese for the problem!