Social Groups

lanbee

We are considering a move from UK to CM but would like to know if there are any regular social meetings of people with similar interests/hobbies as we would not want to live in isolation but integrate into the community.

Can anyone help please or direct me to any information ?

We are considering a move from UK to CM but would like to know if there are any regular social meetings of people with similar interests/hobbies as we would not want to live in isolation but integrate into the community.

Maybe the Chiang Mai Expat club is what you're looking for. [email protected] They have quite a few special interest groups.

Maybe the Chiang Mai Expat club is what you're looking for. [email protected] They have quite a few special interest groups.

Thanks for your help

Whahahah , you get people who get drunk everyday , hunt down good food and get more drunk , hang out at bar and try to get lucky, yeh would be great to start a AA Meeting here , or a SA ( SA ) meeting here or some Date a Thai service meeting ..

beside that , there is a hand off of jolly guy who go karting , dinning at fancy places , and hang out to take about each other , and how there come to be in chiangmai ,.

over all yes people here kinda still enjoy Hobby . whahahah

i love sport ,i'm a sport drinker

"....over all yes people here kinda still enjoy Hobby . whahahah

i love sport ,i'm a sport drinker"

Good job Ta22. I think you just scared all the conservative older couples away from CM. We have the place to ourselves.

wahhahah , there is color and black and white , but there is alway the grey which most choose not to speak of

but to me . the grey spot is the essence of life . the middle path that will allow you to see life as it is .

everyone have different kinda of hobby , and so called social groupy ,

and it all depend on where you at and why you go as well as how old are you .

eg. my father fav pass time now is watching .. on the statlite TV and comment on the news he see, and my mom watching korean and japanese sitcom .

he also enjoy drinking tea and servicing his own car .

-

Well the best example would be to take myself as example .

cos i would not really know the mindset of others well enough to quote you a social life idea .

i wake up very late ( 1-3 pm ) or sometime i sleep very early ( 8-10 am ) over all that is my sleep time . i do get an average of 7 hour sleep and more .

i spend my time . in chiangmai . very slowly , i love meeting people and so i go out as offen as i can for buffet , din out at fancy places . and of cos go to pub and cafe - hanging out with people my ages ( 30 )

my hobby is car audio now , as well as online gaming, photography . i try to pick up golf but is too busy to even start the basic . i used to go play snooker but that is cos there have alot of nice cute looking girl working there and talk to me when i am bored .

alot of my social group range from all age when i play online game at Lan cafe i hang out with kids as young as 7- 10

and at time when i enjoy talking and exchanging view of life - i hang out with people twice my age and have at least 1 fren that is 3 time my age . i enjoy talking to old people sometime ( sometime - not every time ) cos i feel that talking to them ( yes i mean you ) give me a look into how another person think and help me to improve myself .

you see , chaingmai is small place . the first 1-2 years i had went to so much places that , it get bored to try new place .

then i hang out at the same spot , i see alot of people hang out at Bar . but those place is really just not for me .

maybe cos i don't see myself as a Bar kinda guys which pay -70-90 bath for a small bottle of beer when i can buy 3 large bottle for 100 baht . else where .

i only drink when i am happy or at least in a good mood . cos the beer is so cheap that if i start drinking when i am in bad mood or stress out - i think i would not be sober at all .

if you enjoy driving . or the natural outdoor chiangmai is nice , but the weather is getting kinda weird .

ok alot of junk .. what i am trying to say is ...

why worry so much .. come here .see the place don';t make up your mind so fast .

you see every town have it charm . and cream .

social life wise is all depend on you . if there is not one , you can alway start one yourself .

can't alway wait for thing to happen right ? be the one that make thing happen .

not every social life fit us . same like not every shoe . same shit but different .

the good old fun is since you in a place totlalt different in culture you get 1-2 years to learn something new :o

is the process not the result .

• 5 weeks later...

Hope you like watching DVDs and sitting in front of a computer for hours because farang social gatherings in Chiang Mai is practically non existent.

The farang population here is mostly made up from pockets of isolated loners living inside the main city and on the outskirts, elderly retirees looking to play an occasional card game and some iffy young or middle aged farangs who strictly keep to their own clicks.

None of the above is particularly friendly, these are not community minded people.

For farangs living in Chiang Mai, life can be great and enjoyed on ones own, which in most cases there is no other choice.

This is the lifestyle for farangs living in Chiang Mai. If this is acceptable, than Chiang Mai is for you.

Edited by distortedlink

Hope you like watching DVDs and sitting in front of a computer for hours because farang social gatherings in Chiang Mai is practically non existent.

The farang population here is mostly made up from pockets of isolated loners living inside the main city and on the outskirts, elderly retirees looking to play an occasional card game and some iffy young or middle aged farangs who strictly keep to their own clicks.

None of the above is particularly friendly, these are not community minded people.

For farangs living in Chiang Mai, life can be great and enjoyed on ones own, which in most cases there is no other choice.

This is the lifestyle for farangs living in Chiang Mai. If this is acceptable, than Chiang Mai is for you.

Wow thanks for you're carefully researched answer (not) Makes me wonder what the rest of us who get together for things like the CM cricket clubs, the sixes (recently in CM - did you know/care/turn up?) the various football groups, recently a group of us have formed the CBR150 bike club, the aussie contingent meet at various times and places around town to watch and play cricket/football - AFL and Rugby. Then there are the guys who go to places like guitarman for a jam session or to listen to others play. There are several gardening groups such as the bonsai and orchid people who get together, or do something useful and join the Soi Dogs group and raise money/awareness of these animals. The french guys get together for film/discussion nights at the Aliance. Similar groups get together for peopel from various other countries. The expats club is also in CM.

I could continue but obviously you know all these and don't need to know any more

CM

Then there was the discussion group that MyPenLai set up, and we made new friends (like Ta22, that nice Korean couple, Ken from Hawaii, etc.). Through TVisa I've met a book editor, joined a writer's group. You can make new friends just standing in front of a shop (but watch out for the lunatics). I've met various teachers and sex addicts here (not quite mutually exclusive groups!).

But if you're from some place like London or New York, you don't get to choose between the ballet and the philharmonic every night (although CMU and Payap have some music recitals).

I'll bet some places like Des Moines and Aberdeen have more than their share of people who don't go out and mingle with strangers.

The french guys get together for film/discussion nights at the Aliance.

They don't really spend much time discussing films. They mostly spend a lot of time insulting Bush and praising Jerry Lewis movies. :D

The apogee of comedy - you choose the person to whom I am referring :o

CB

They don't really spend much time discussing films. They mostly spend a lot of time insulting Bush and praising Jerry Lewis movies. :D

and how would you know that? :o

and the other thing i really wanted to know is, how would you know that gay guys would love to be around crowboy? :D

They don't really spend much time discussing films. They mostly spend a lot of time insulting Bush and praising Jerry Lewis movies. :o

and how would you know that?

and the other thing i really wanted to know is, how would you know that gay guys would love to be around crowboy?

I have a vivid imagination.

He is in decent shape, not too old, has all his hair and all his teeth, and is quite charming. For a Chiang Mai expat, he is quite a catch! :D

Utter claptrap

You get out of CM what you put in which says something about Dlink.

Hope you like watching DVDs and sitting in front of a computer for hours because farang social gatherings

Utter claptrap

Milton my friend back in CM - good to see you are online and your reply to the missing link was succinct and accurate unlike his. He is probably the one sitting in his one roon condo with a pile of pirate DVDs and a 20" tele while he ponders his option of which shag bar to hit for the evenings entertainment.

Catch up with you on Friday - is the better/other half back yet?

CB

Hope you like watching DVDs and sitting in front of a computer for hours because farang social gatherings

Utter claptrap

Milton my friend back in CM - good to see you are online and your reply to the missing link was succinct and accurate unlike his. He is probably the one sitting in his one roon condo with a pile of pirate DVDs and a 20" tele while he ponders his option of which shag bar to hit for the evenings entertainment.

CB

No she's still lording it up over half of England.

Friday it is then and I have a nice surprise for you. Something you wouldn't throw out of a fridge :o

Utter claptrap

CB

No she's still lording it up over half of England.

Friday it is then and I have a nice surprise for you. Something you wouldn't throw out of a fridge :o

Intrigued to find out what it is - see you on Friday and the first round is on me

good to see you back

CB

Sounds suspiciously like a wheel of Royal Stilton to me.... :o

I was on my prayer mat hoping for the same thing :D

If it is then I think it will be a few rounds, you going to join us on Friday - we will probably go to Tuskers at say 7pm 'ish and say hello to the staff and management there :D

either eat there or go for a Mexican at Miguels around the corner

CB

Im guessing you mean clique rather than click.Either way , thats just not the case.There are many social gatherings for ex-pats and many regular groups of great people getting together.

However, they sometimes wont tollerate idiots and view morons as one reason why they left their home country in the first place.

These kind of people can be given the cold shoulder rather quickly.Its not a case of forming a clique, just a case of not suffering fools.

They don't really spend much time discussing films. They mostly spend a lot of time insulting Bush and praising Jerry Lewis movies. :o

U.G., I have to admit that in the past I have not been a big fan of most of your posts, but this is definately a good one. You left out that they praise Michael Moore movies as well!

U.G., I have to admit that in the past I have not been a big fan of most of your posts

You have a lot of company VegasVic, however, I have asked both the Donz and Terry57 to give me some tips on improving my posts and they have been helping out via PMs. Everybody wants to be popular. :o

I've been to a few Chiang Mai expats meetings out of curiosity and boredom mostly. In my experience (3 of the 4 times I went) they did not have the speakers they promised and I was interrogated at two of the meetings as to who I was, was I a member (and why not) and how long have I been here. I'm not making this up!!! This group seems to be more for retired people I would say from 65 up (I don't think they see it that way) and in all honesty I have always felt unwelcome there.

. . . and the other thing i really wanted to know is, how would you know that gay guys would love to be around crowboy?

I have a vivid imagination.

He is in decent shape, not too old, has all his hair and all his teeth, and is quite charming. For a Chiang Mai expat, he is quite a catch! :o

You are offering, I take it, an example of just how vivid your imagination is?