Australia to impose 14-day self-isolation on international travellers

webfact

Australia to impose 14-day self-isolation on international travellers

By Kate Lamb

2020-03-15T140735Z_1_LOP000LUTYKOL_RTRMADP_BASEIMAGE-960X540_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-AUSTRALIA.JPG

Australia follows New Zealand in imposing a self-isolation policy for international travelers arriving in the country, in an attempt to flatten the curve of the coronavirus. 

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia will impose 14-day self-isolation on international travellers arriving from midnight Sunday and ban cruise ships from foreign ports for 30 days, mirroring restrictions in nearby New Zealand aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the new measures after a meeting with a newly formed national cabinet, dubbed the coronavirus 'war cabinet'.

The strict measures were designed to slow the spread of the global pandemic across Australia and help the country "flatten the peak" of the virus, Morrison told a news conference.

Australia follows New Zealand in imposing a self-isolation policy for international travelers arriving in the country, in an attempt to flatten the curve of the coronavirus. Adam Reed reports.

"To help stay ahead of this curve, we will impose a universal precautionary self-isolation requirement on all international arrivals to Australia and that is effective from midnight tonight," he said.

"Further the Australian government will also ban cruise ships from foreign ports from arriving at Australian ports for an initial 30 days."

The new border restrictions come as Australia recorded more than 250 cases of coronavirus and three deaths.

As of mid-March, COVID-19, the deadly respiratory illness caused by the coronavirus, has infected 156,00 people globally and killed more than 5,800.

Australia has already imposed bans on travellers from Italy, South Korea, Iran and China, countries with high infection rates.

The bans mean foreign nationals who have been in any of the four nations will not be allowed into Australia for 14 days from the time they left those countries.

Australian citizens and permanent residents travelling from those countries will still be able to enter Australia but must self-isolate for a fortnight after returning home.

Qantas Airways said it would give passengers on all Qantas and Jetstar flights the option to cancel and receive travel credits, while Virgin Australia said it was assessing how it could best support its customers.

DISTANCING

Australia has advised against non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people from Monday, but this is yet to apply to schools and universities.

Morrison on Sunday urged people to practice "social distancing", such as keeping a metre (three feet) apart and not to shake hands, in order to reduce transmissions.

He said the rate of community transmission had started to increase and that social distancing would help limit demand on the healthcare systems, which would mean better treatment for elderly and those in remote and vulnerable communities.

"Slowing the spread will free up beds," he said.

"That's what happens when you get this right and we've seen other countries going down this path."

Neighbouring New Zealand on Saturday said it would require incoming travellers, including its own citizens, to self-isolate for two weeks and banned cruise ships.

The Australian government is yet to restrict the operation of schools, but earlier on Sunday the Health Minister Greg Hunt did not rule out such a measure in the coming months.

The new phase of restrictions come as the Australian government launches a multi-million-dollar advertising campaign focused on good hygiene, and the formation of a Coronavirus Business Liaison Unit to address the economic fallout.

(Reporting by Kate Lamb and John Mair; Editing by Alistair Bell, Michael Perry and Himani Sarkar)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-16

So does that mean when my wife returns from Bangkok that she will have do do self isolation at home and how will that affect the rest of the family ? Will they all have to stay at home or can they go out as normal and possibly be carriers ? Need to know !

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Well, obviously not going to help tourism if tourists have to stay holed up in their hotel.  But hopefully airlines and travel companies really are notifying people in advance

Air Asia have not notified us yet but they have a system of credit or refund in place for the main countries, China, Italy etc. But the government is also considering stronger regulations, possibly on Wednesday, so am waiting until then to see what AA do.

Booked to enter Oz on 30th with an scheduled operation 4 days later so will not able to go to the hospital. Probably would have cancelled the trip anyway. Would not liked to be locked up with the family for 2 weeks.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Air Asia have not notified us yet but they have a system of credit or refund in place for the main countries, China, Italy etc. But the government is also considering stronger regulations, possibly on Wednesday, so am waiting until then to see what AA do.

Booked to enter Oz on 30th with an scheduled operation 4 days later so will not able to go to the hospital. Probably would have cancelled the trip anyway. Would not liked to be locked up with the family for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the update. My girlfriend is due in Brisbane on the 28th so any shared updates would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

So does that mean when my wife returns from Bangkok that she will have do do self isolation at home and how will that affect the rest of the family ? Will they all have to stay at home or can they go out as normal and possibly be carriers ? Need to know !

It only effects those entering after midnight yesterday 

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-need-to-know_2.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1YWhDSdXc2X0m4efGdFZlzvP4swdKsdaLvEi3Hhc5UPO9h7KEqXSNyOYQ

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Check on the Govt Health website mate. Under the conditions of self-isolation you are allowed out for medical appointments. Perhaps hospital will also be covered?

At what point does self isolation kick in? At the first port of entry?

For example I fly into Sydney but need to transit after passport control and customs to somewhere else. Do I need to stay in Sydney for two weeks or do I continue to fly domestically to my home town? That will be expensive!!

This is not very clear from the government's announcement.

consider that

An interactive map has revealed just how Australia's 7.7 million square-kilometre land mass measures up to other continents - and completely dwarfs the United Kingdom and Europe. and this

Australia is around the same size as United States.

United States is approximately 9,833,517 sq km, while Australia is approximately 7,741,220 sq km. Meanwhile, the population of United States is ~326.6 million people (303.4 million fewer people live in Australia).

Now keep walking you will need your 2 weeks

Edited by White Christmas13

30 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Do I need to stay in Sydney for two weeks or do I continue to fly domestically to my home town?

On arrival you'll get a pamphlet explaining everything including the fact that onward domestic travel is OK.

1616643928_httpss3us-west-1amazonawscompattayaaddictsmonthly_2020_03Screenshot_2020-03-16-22-54-38pngc8aeb036b4cd37954c13a00232360105png.png.d9464d2111683ac3a194c01006b05eb3.png

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Thank you for that sir. Makes life a little easier.

Be a lot easier if the damn governments around the world would publish clear and precise instructions instead of making us all try to interpret <deleted> they mean without having to scour the internet 555

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snawa said:

Thanks, I will check with the hospital. It is elective surgery (eye) but being shut up for 2 weeks and the fact that the family are older than me I don't want to put them at any risk.

20 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

FWIW

Air Asia Tapae Gate C/Mai  Office refunded my air fare in full  to morning  which was Cmai to Sydney return due to the Isolation being put into place. My refund may take up to a month to process 

Many Thanks Air Asia

Edited by deej
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

imo this self quarantine business here and in other countries is bs. I wouldn't count on people these days to do the right thing, there are just too many out there that are just looking out for themselves and don't give a damn about anyone else. You would almost have to lock people up to get them to adhere to this.. 

• Sad 2

37 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

imo this self quarantine business here and in other countries is bs. I wouldn't count on people these days to do the right thing, there are just too many out there that are just looking out for themselves and don't give a damn about anyone else. You would almost have to lock people up to get them to adhere to this.. 

Max $50k fine and possible prison sentence for offenders in Western Australia and yes the police are doing random checks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deej said:

FWIW

Air Asia Tapae Gate C/Mai  Office refunded my air fare in full  to morning  which was Cmai to Sydney return due to the Isolation being put into place. My refund may take up to a month to process 

Many Thanks Air Asia

Yes, just checked my emails and the flights were cancelled with the option of change of dates, credit or full refund explained.

Much better service than I was expecting so many thanks from me too.

Now just have to sort out with Nok Air for the connecting local flights to DMK and return.

• Like 2

Morrision has announced a stage 4 alert. No international travel from Australia for an indefinite period. I'm happy to stay in Thailand but the (thai) wife wants to go back to Oz. Might be better off in Oz if the situation deteriorates further. I think Thailand may be a basket case in the very near future from this virus.

19 hours ago, deej said:

FWIW

Many Thanks Air Asia

The next flight will be one way. Forget the return leg for quite a while.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

The next flight will be one way. Forget the return leg for quite a while.

Presently very comfortable residing here in Cmai and it is my business not yours what my future travel arrangement to OZ will be

My post  which u reponded to  was a heads up to Members on Air Asia policys presently in place 

just trying to be helpful on TV

2 minutes ago, deej said:

Presently very comfortable residing here in Cmai and it is my business not yours what my future travel arrangement to OZ will be

My post  which u reponded to  was a heads up to Members on Air Asia policys presently in place 

just trying to be helpful on TV

Settle down mate. I was merely pointing out that you travel plans WILL be impacted by the decision of the Australian Government. Is that so hard to understand without throwing a hissy fit?

The thread is about Australia and not Air Asia.

Edited by emptypockets