Giant retailers allay public fears, assure adequate stocks of consumer goods

webfact

Giant retailers allay public fears, assure adequate stocks of consumer goods

By THE NATION

800_a9dd59eadaa5c10.jpg?v=1584329936

The fear that the Covid-19 situation in Thailand will soon reach level 3 pandemic has caused panic buying and hoarding of face masks, hand sanitisers as well as consumer products such as rice, cooking oil, toilet paper, instant noodles and canned goods, Pathaphong Iamsuro, chief commercial officer at Big C Supercenter Plc, said on Sunday (March 15).

“In the past few days, these products have been gone from shelves at many convenience stores, supermarkets and hypermarkets,” he said. “Big C has been prepared for the situation since the early stages of the outbreak, and would like to ensure that we have enough stocks of products necessary for daily life, including rice, dried foods, frozen foods, drinking water and sanitisers.”

“There is no need to hoard consumer products at the moment,” he added.

1584270668_1.jpg

Meanwhile, Tesco Lotus posted on the company’s twitter account @TescoLotus that “Due to increased demand, Tesco Lotus has prepared enough stocks of consumer products for our customers at all branches. Moreover, we will order more products from manufacturers to make sure that customers can enjoy low-price items as well as discount promotions every day.”

1584270701_4.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384158

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-16

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

“There is no need to hoard consumer products at the moment,” he added.

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

we will order more products from manufacturers to make sure that customers can enjoy low-price items as well as discount promotions every day.”

lets hope they can keep the supply chain open. three days is typical for "Just In Time" inventory control including manufacturers. 

no mention of how they are going to compensate for entire factories being temporarily closed due to the virus. 

fortunately there is a huge supply of rice and instant noodles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Yeah, right.. The below photo was taken at my local Tesco Lotus 2 hours ago.. The toilet paper selves have been all stocked with adult diapers (the whole aisle).. Either they don't want to show empty shelves to the customers or they are trying to pass us a message, e.g. you may need these since you won't be having any toilet paper.. :cheesy:

image.png.7ca736a351c202b8e25ce34b645db854.png

Meanwhile in Australia

toilet 1.webp

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Big C has been prepared for the situation since the early stages of the outbreak, and would like to ensure that we have enough stocks of products necessary for daily life, including rice, dried foods, frozen foods, drinking water and sanitisers.”

Please someone tell me, or Mr. Iamsuro, when was the last time that Big C stores had any hand sanitizer products in stock??  It's kind of hard to hoard products that the stores don't have!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Yeah, right.. The below photo was taken at my local Tesco Lotus 2 hours ago.. The toilet paper selves have been all stocked with adult diapers (the whole aisle).. Either they don't want to show empty shelves to the customers or they are trying to pass us a message, e.g. you may need these since you won't be having any toilet paper.. :cheesy:

I've seen the same thing around BKK stores lately... They take the empty shelves where they're totally sold out of various things and cover up the empty spaces with other less-in-demand stuff.  Who do they think they're fooling?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, Tesco Lotus posted on the company’s twitter account @TescoLotus that “Due to increased demand, Tesco Lotus has prepared enough stocks of consumer products for our customers at all branches. Moreover, we will order more products from manufacturers to make sure that customers can enjoy low-price items as well as discount promotions every day.”

I typically shop most at a Central supermarket in downtown BKK. They haven't had ANY liquid hand soap in stock there for several months now...

OP articles like the ones here smell more like yet another government propaganda campaign.

Whatever little credibility these kinds of announcements might have had in the past has long since evaporated in the naked light of false claim after false claim.  Somethings a government can hide. Other things, like dwindling store stocks, they cannot.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

OP articles like the ones here smell more like yet another government propaganda campaign.

Whatever little credibility these kinds of announcements might have had in the past has long since evaporated in the naked light of false claim after false claim.  Somethings a government can hide. Other things, like dwindling store stocks, they cannot.

It works with my familly. My wife have been telling them to buy extra food for 2 months. They say it won't come around here and the government is saying everything is fine. We tried one last time today to make them buy extra rice and they said if they die then they die. What annoys me is that I know they will come begging for food if they close Bangkok and there is an issue with the supply chain. 

23 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It works with my familly. My wife have been telling them to buy extra food for 2 months. They say it won't come around here and the government is saying everything is fine. We tried one last time today to make them buy extra rice and they said if they die then they die. What annoys me is that I know they will come begging for food if they close Bangkok and there is an issue with the supply chain. 

I gotta give my Thai wife credit... She's been clueless on the masks issue, and everything we have and have obtained has been thru me.

But a couple weeks ago, she picked up on the TP issue through her prolific reading of Instagram and such, and warned me we'd better stock up, which we did in reasonable amounts for our home use. And now a week or two later, the TP is flying off the shelves. 

Together, we make a good team. Lately, she's banned delivery/service folks from coming inside our home (any business needs to be done outside). And she bought some mist spray bottles the other day for treating our door handles and such with alcohol, which she also stocked up on in advance, along with her supply of mama noodles.

I married a gem!!!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kotsak said:

The toilet paper selves have been all stocked with adult diapers (the whole aisle)..

I thought Corvid 19 affected your breathing not your bowels... maybe I missed something?

Panic dissipation - to stop the middle classes panicking. The government calling in some markers, or making new ones. No mention of Tesco Lotus or 7/11. Vast aisles of empty shelves at our local Tesco Lotus.

Edited by ParkerN

5 hours ago, johng said:

Use the bum gun and drip dry...toilet paper is for "other things"  that's why its on the table at many restaurants ????

Ah - now I know. Go to any public toilet at a petrol station throughout Thailand and you will not see a single "bog" roll!! I used to keep one in my car - just in case!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kotsak said:

image.png.7ca736a351c202b8e25ce34b645db854.png

I think the message is don't <deleted> yourself... but if you do we have you covid

• Haha 1

Not sure what would cause shortages. Imported food and other items, sure, logistics, but the basic Thai ingredients of oil, rice, vegetables and meats or fish are all locally produced. Even if everything is locked down, farmers will be farming. Transport might become a bit erratic but will likely still be able to function. It's the getting from home to the shop part that might be the problem, not empty shelves.

9 hours ago, johng said:

Use the bum gun and drip dry...toilet paper is for "other things"  that's why its on the table at many restaurants ????

The perfect companion to this strategy is the king of garments, the perfect solution to tropical heat: The Sarong. Nothing like a nice breeze cooling the danglies. Also very fashionable:

paaka-ma_-list.jpg

• Haha 2