Songkran holidays to be postponed in attempt to 'limit public movement'

webfact

On 1/18/2020 at 11:00 AM, sencelebi said:

What that camera does on top of the roof, face recognition or what?

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I think the PM is scheduled to address the nation tonight, maybe 18:30.

A lot of infections seem to have come from this Chachoengsao PAO chairman: he attended weddings, temple fairs, boxing matches (Actor Mattherw Deane, Army General infected by him there), cock fighting, hospitals, elderly advocates. The effects are probably too frightening to release at once? He's definitely a super-spreader.

Lot's of rumors flying. Newin trying to quarantine Buriram, that one seems backed up by semi-official posts.

Yep. It has been posted Buriram borders closed!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And I've yet to see/hear any news from the Dept of Disease Control yet on today's latest tally of new CV cases... after the 32 case increase from Sunday... Usually, they've updated by this time of the day.

At least 1 

Screenshot_20200316_183641.jpg

Edited by bkkatl
Correction

Does that mean the virus only spread after 8 pm the reason for the curfew?

Might want to also contact the government and report the advertisement of mask being sold a 1000 plus time over the regular price which was 2 for 18 baht now selling here online for $11.98 a piece!????‍✈️

15 minutes ago, CGW said:

You can't cancel Songkran! do you have any idea the nonsense you posting.

You can cancel the celebrations, which they have done.

Of course they can. They are "The Government" and have a licence to do as they please.

Whether anybody takes notice of their ruling is a different kettle of sausages.

• Like 2

Wars and pandemics make people in power rich(er)!

Be aware of what is happening to your rights and freedoms over this “bug”...

CNN calls is a pandemic (ratings), now the world is in panic mode, cash (through “emergency bills”) flowing into the pockets of the Not so honest rich folks!

• Like 2

Just now, billd766 said:

Of course they can. They are "The Government" and have a licence to do as they please.

Even they would struggle cancelling Songkran, the official date changes to 2564, be difficult to continue with 2563, try as they might! they would struggle reprogramming the date in their computer systems! ???? 

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

This is an interesting time.  Las vegas closing it's hotels. 

I agree there really is not much reason for bars to be open at all if they have to close at 8.

There will be a loud outcry from the people.  Families set aside this time for a get together.

Families also have this time set for them to get away and have a holiday.

A lot of hotels are going to have to refund or cancel hotel bookings

AirBnB have announced they will refund all bookings made before 14 March for stays up until 14 April. I'm guessing they are not footing the bill.

Seems like we are getting much closer to a panic here.

What happened to everything under control, but likely going out of control.

Lets hope they dont totally ban the sales of alcohol, on the basis that if the bars are closed then people may get together at homes for a drink and have to be prevented from doing so.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Seems like we are getting much closer to a panic here.

What happened to everything under control, but likely going out of control.

Lets hope they dont totally ban the sales of alcohol, on the basis that if the bars are closed then people may get together at homes for a drink and have to be prevented from doing so.

I'm stocked up for a month on booze. No problems there. I am also ready with tinned food and instant noodles for what I believe is now inevitable. 

2 hours ago, Mung said:

Remember when they made it illegal to cram people into the back of pickups during Songkran, and nobody cared and there was a mass distaste for the idea. Yeah, probably going to see a similar reaction here. 

24 Hour crackdown.

2 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

Finally a good idea !  Since the virus is more in the BKK area it is better to drop the Songkran festivities at all. Noblody should travel from the BKK area to the country sides. They could not have made a better decision !

Yes agreed. I very reluctantly traveled to a funeral 2 weeks ago. Half of our village also attended and there were folks there from a number of different areas, including from the south. And as always there was no opportunity for 'social distancing'.  (did we ever use that term before?)

It could have been the 'perfect storm'. Just one person from an area with C19 could have spread it out into the Issan area, where so far, to my knowledge, there have been no cases.

There was one upside to the event. To maintain my own personal 'social distancing, I opted to travel solo on my motorcycle and had a really great 300kms round trip. ????

Songkran was my big concern too and I was very glad to read that they decided to 'bite the bullet' on that one.

• Like 1

I am finding these recent developments rather alarming. So few cases in Thailand and nobody really dying and then BOOM!!!! All kinds of bans coming about, people starting to hoard, events cancelled, travel bans and other stuff. What happened? I thought Thailand had it under control? This makes no sense. This is more like a reaction from a country with 100 times more infections than Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Somehow more infectious after 8pm than before?

so let’s have Everyone crowd together before 8pm for a final toast...

you either close completely or you don’t....but to do it by hours is Ludicrous... 

you can’t deprive alcoholics completely can we?

half ass policy = ineffective

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

Finally a good idea !  Since the virus is more in the BKK area it is better to drop the Songkran festivities at all. Noblody should travel from the BKK area to the country sides. They could not have made a better decision !

You do know Songkran is the Thai new year? The biggest holiday in Thailand,bigger than all the rest together. Just because you want to sit at home watching TV and go to bed 9pm,doesn't mean everyone wants the same. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, runamok27 said:

I am finding these recent developments rather alarming. So few cases in Thailand and nobody really dying and then BOOM!!!! All kinds of bans coming about, people starting to hoard, events cancelled, travel bans and other stuff. What happened? I thought Thailand had it under control? This makes no sense. This is more like a reaction from a country with 100 times more infections than Thailand. 

Try explaining that to the guy Anutin and his department. Every strange suggestion comes from that place. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I think the PM is scheduled to address the nation tonight, maybe 18:30.

A lot of infections seem to have come from this Chachoengsao PAO chairman: he attended weddings, temple fairs, boxing matches (Actor Mattherw Deane, Army General infected by him there), cock fighting, hospitals, elderly advocates. The effects are probably too frightening to release at once? He's definitely a super-spreader.

Lot's of rumors flying. Newin trying to quarantine Buriram, that one seems backed up by semi-official posts.

The pm did address the nation I wish they would have had it translated into English like they did his Friday night talks before the so-called election 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guderian said:

It would be an even bigger help if they could explain to people that sharing the same food with their fingers is unhygienic at the best of times  but dangerous now. Ditto the sharing of cutlery and glasses,but how do they get this message through to a population that's been living like this for its entire life?

And teach them to wash dishes with hot water not cold but then my wife does this and says she ain't changing ????