Rent a car for a border run?

First of all, does anyone know where I can find the most up to date information on what nationalities are currently able to do border runs? 

Also, I had the idea of renting a car and do a border bounce at Ban Phu Nam Ron (Myanmar) on the 27th (US passport). How realistic is that?

Or maybe even use my scooter (which I've used for a few longer road trips).

I've also now heard that it may be possible to get a second extension (I'm on my first) with a letter from the embassy, which I would prefer since I'm going to the embassy next week anyway.

However, does that work for visitors on a visa exempt entry?

@Nayetare you doing a border bounce or a visa run for a 30 day visa exempt? I rented a car and did my bounce for my Non-O on Sunday, 15 March. There were no problems. In past a visa exempt at Ban Phunamron was no problem, but someone else will need to chime in to give you something on that. I was the only Westerner there from 12:15 until 14:00.

On 3/17/2020 at 2:49 PM, AgMech Cowboy said:

@Nayetare you doing a border bounce or a visa run for a 30 day visa exempt? I rented a car and did my bounce for my Non-O on Sunday, 15 March. There were no problems. In past a visa exempt at Ban Phunamron was no problem, but someone else will need to chime in to give you something on that. I was the only Westerner there from 12:15 until 14:00.

Thanks, AgMech.

It's for a 30 day visa exempt, but now it seems they are closing all the borders, so probably cancelling the trip.

1 hour ago, Nayet said:

It's for a 30 day visa exempt, but now it seems they are closing all the borders, so probably cancelling the trip.

Ban Phu Nam Ron has been closed. Some may be open on the 27th but not sure at this time.

You can do another 30 day extension if you are on the list of affected countries.

If not you would need a letter from your embassy requesting it.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can do another 30 day extension if you are on the list of affected countries.

A further 30 day extension without embassy letter? Afaik currently that's not possible

21 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A further 30 day extension without embassy letter? Afaik currently that's not possible

Immigration did a memo about it on the 18th. Waiting for confirmation of the translation of it before posting.

This from it.

image.png.255d4cdc395c22f70cad6ae9430e616d.png

This is 5 of the police order mentioned in 3.

5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application.

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration did a memo about it on the 18th. Waiting for confirmation of the translation of it before posting.

This from it.

image.png.255d4cdc395c22f70cad6ae9430e616d.png

This is 5 of the police order mentioned in 3.

5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application.

But this is only a reminder pointing at already existing rules, nothing really new.

They would have to specify what exactly is required so that the competent officer could have the opinion that the alien has a legimate reason to stay in the kingdom, if they want to use this criteria.

Without any such specification we know that it's theoretically possible to get one, but IOs are probably not going to use it because they don't know who is supposed to be eligable.

If they want to be really helpful they would have to issue an order saying something like "while the pandemic lasts foreigners can get consecutive 30 day extensions under criteria 2.4".

By the way, where does it even say that only one 30 day extension under 2.4 is possible? In the "tor ror 327/2557" document i didn't see any such limitation. I'm aware that they only issue one, but is this even based on an official police order?

Edited by jackdd

55 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If they want to be really helpful they would have to issue an order saying something like "while the pandemic lasts foreigners can get consecutive 30 day extensions under criteria 2.4".

Clause 2.4 of the police order is only for extending tourist visa and visa exempt entries. What they have done is eliminate the only one per entry rule.

Two is is for other types of visa entries such as non immigrant visas and a visa on arrival.

Three is apparently for those under 2 who cannot get a letter from their embassy.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Clause 2.4 of the police order is only for extending tourist visa and visa exempt entries. What they have done is eliminate the only one per entry rule.

So you interpret it in such a way that there is now no more limitation (for TR visas) in getting consecutive 30 day extensions under 2.4 (travel / tourism)?

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Has anyone actually applied for an second extension ?

I will be applying on Monday 

I personally asked an IO at CM immigration yesterday morning and was told best he could do are 7 days to leave the country.

Let's see what they say next week.

Edited by jackdd

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Ban Phu Nam Ron has been closed. Some may be open on the 27th but not sure at this time.

I have two passports, but since I entered on my US passport, I assume I can forget about using the second passport for an extension.