Mehkong Whisky, Wassup W Post 43?

cmdrj0

over the past 6 months i noticed a drastic "flavor" change on any mekhong whixkey that is marked later the year 43(44. 45).....also the the intoxiczting properties of these bottles (above 43 produce massive hangover). any info? is it because of the aging process? no need to hear for you schmendicks who drink johnnie...i have a stable whose been drinkin the mekkong for years with goodresults...mekhong drinkers need only reply

over the past 6 months i noticed a drastic "flavor" change on any mekhong whixkey that is marked later the year 43(44. 45).....also the the intoxiczting properties of these bottles (above 43 produce massive hangover). any info? is it because of the aging process? no need to hear for you schmendicks who drink johnnie...i have a stable whose been drinkin the mekkong for years with goodresults...mekhong drinkers need only reply
The quality of Mekhong was always a hit and miss thing, luckily about 30 years ago I was taught how to build a still and have been making my own Lao khao ever since,and here in sunny Queensland stainless steel home stills are readily available on the market, so you can forget your johnny walker, my 5 year old sippin whisky is real smooth and fantastic quality and at 2 dollars a litre to produce who needs Mekhong :o:D Nignoy

I know what you mean about the recent fluctuations in the flavor of Mekong Whisky. :o I first started drinking it while I lived in Bangkok in 1974. It was cheap and the flavor was acceptable, besides all of my Thai friends were drinking the same. There was another called Tara that is not made any longer which was better tasting but also more expensive. At that time there was no Sang Som (Thai Rum) produced and I don't remember anyone drinking Regency (Thai Brandy) like they do now.

I finally had too many bad tasting bottles of Mekong for my liking (some I actually dumped) and so I looked for an alternate. Visiting a small shop to buy another bottle of Mekong, the guy said they didn't carry it - only Hong Thong. He recommended I try it instead, saying it was only 10 baht more but the flavor was superior. :D He was correct and I've been buying it regularly ever since. A Thai friend told me that Mekong had produced large quanties of whisky a few years back (that's why you can get a bottle that was made 4 years ago) so that they could keep selling it cheaply and avoid any rise in production cost for a while.

My recommendation would be to try Hong Thong and find out for yourself. I've been drinking it exclusively for 6 months now and the flavor has been more consistent than Mekong. By the way, once liquor is bottled it doesn't age any more.

The quality of Mekhong was always a hit and miss thing, luckily about 30 years ago I was taught how to build a still and have been making my own Lao khao ever since,and here in sunny Queensland stainless steel home stills are readily available on the market, so you can forget your johnny walker, my 5 year old sippin whisky is real smooth and fantastic quality and at 2 dollars a litre to produce who needs Mekhong :o:D Nignoy

O.K!

So I just have to know whats in and how they/you make Lao Khao.

It tastes like paint stripper to me and I cant understand how the upcountry Thais can drink so much of it straight and warm.

I even bought a bottle of the stuff back to N.Z. just to let my friends try. They didnt even get through half a small bottle and they are mildly professional drinkers.

A couple said that it tasted a bit like Teqila/Tiqeela/Taquela........ You know, That Mexican stuff made from cactus.

Is it distilled sticky rice?

O.K!

So I just have to know whats in and how they/you make Lao Khao.

It tastes like paint stripper to me and I cant understand how the upcountry Thais can drink so much of it straight and warm.

I even bought a bottle of the stuff back to N.Z. just to let my friends try. They didnt even get through half a small bottle and they are mildly professional drinkers.

A couple said that it tasted a bit like Teqila/Tiqeela/Taquela........ You know, That Mexican stuff made from cactus.

Is it distilled sticky rice?

well looks like no real mekhong drinkers responding....beware of the bottles marked above 43....most big bottles are still 43..it the ben u have to worry about...nuff said