Are you stranded in Thailand because of COVID-19?

2 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Surely everybody can get back to their home country?

I know most don't want to do it but it still must be a valid option.

I can still get flights back to the UK at anytime in the foreseeable future and will do so in the next week or so

To go or not to go, it's a dilemma for many, one can just hope to have still options in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joskeshake said:

I was booked for 04-05-2020 to go to Belgium with Emirates, but this morning they cancelled my flight.Thats nearly about 7 weeks from now.

Emirates are combining their flights all over. Two empty flights into one half full flight or whatever works. If they have not said "all flights are suspended to Brussels as of  ??MARCH2020" you will be changing to a flight the day before , the day after, 12 hours later or whatever. Also if they do stop flying to Belgium they might keep flights to Paris or Amsterdam and you can get rerouted. Nobody knows really what will be happing 7 days from now so 7 weeks is even more of an unknown.

• Like 1

Anyone who is booked to fly home over next few weeks but would like to fly earlier can if there are seats. You don't have to wait. If you can't get through on the phone and its not too hard to go to BKK airport. Go to the airport a 4 or 5 hours before the next flight is due to depart. Go to the ticket desk and they can put you on the next flight if there are seats. Say you were flying Qatar Airways to Manchester but they say Manchester is full, ask about Birmingham, LHR, Gatwick, Edinburgh. Most airlines if not all of them are offering free of charge date changes and reroutes. Even if they are not they can do whatever sorts the problem when you are stood in front of them at the airport. Loads of 500 to 1000 baht hotels close to the airport if cant go same day. Magic Food Court on the basement level sells thai food at normal prices.

• Like 1

Magic Food Court on the basement level sells thai food at normal prices.

I think dining at Magic Food Court might not be the most effective implementation of protecting yourself through social distancing.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

I did not change my flight. I was advised by Oman Air to change my return ticket to an open ticket, because they do not know when the entry ban into Oman will be lifted, and there is no point in booking me on another flight that I will not be allowed to board!

Have you seen the draconian measures now in place in Oman? All shops shut (apart from supermarkets and pharmacies), all restaurants shut (including those inside hotels), all public transport stopped, all mosques shut!

More or less about the same like everywhere else in Europe . Since you stay in Thailand , you are thinking its bad they closed bars . In Europe it is a lot worse . Only the public transport is still running . I can give you a list of all measures taken by the different countries , but what you speak draconian is about basic over here right now .

On 3/19/2020 at 10:26 AM, Terry2905 said:

Hi.

British guy, working in Oman, on 2 weeks holiday in Pattaya since 07 March.

Was due to fly back to Oman on Saturday 21st March.

Oman went into total lockdown on Wednesday 18th, with only Omani nationals allowed to enter.

Had to change my return ticket with Oman Air to an open ticket, which will cost me!

The predicted total travel ban to Oman is expected to be 2 - 3 months, but may go on for 6 months!

So my answer to the poll is yes, this is going to effect me badly financially, with "unexpected" hotel costs, and emotionally, due to the stress!

Waiting with baited breath also on a possible waiver of tourist visa overstay charges?

Oh! And my travel insurance got cancelled for any costs involved in delays/cancellations, accommodation, due to Covid-19!

Stranded in Thailand, with no help from anyone!

I wouldn't stay on at a hotel paying them day by day. Very much cheaper to rent a room somewhere on a monthly basis, or of you really want stay on at the hotel, they too will do a monthly deal.

Emirates at my last count had cancelled over 100 routes - not reduced the schedule but cancelled.  It's also likely that they will ground all their Airbus A380s in the next few days which may affect even more.  For the UK,  it means Edinburgh, Newcastle, Stansted and Gatwick are off the schedule until the end of June, and some of the possible alternatives will disappear as the A380 decision filters through the system.

I suspect there will still be ways to get there, but it won't be as simple as you might think.