Foreigners can claim medical expenses from state for virus treatment in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

What a load of BS for the title. What about foreigners WHO ARE NOT COVERED BY STATE WELFARE SCEME???? Says foreigners can claim then it says:

"Thais and foreigners, including expatriates, who are covered by the state welfare scheme, can claim medical expenses for the amount that exceeds the limit of the welfare scheme."

See my post #30 above.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais and foreigners, including expatriates, who are covered by the state welfare scheme, can claim medical expenses for the amount that exceeds the limit of the welfare scheme.

This doesn't say a word about those foreigners, including expatriates, who are not covered by the state welfare scheme.  Cheap labor from Laos are covered as far as I can tell as they show up at our Amphur hospital to enroll.  No 'expat' that I'm aware of is covered by the 'state welfare scheme' unless the expat is a naturalize Thai citizen. 

So the article title is misleading unless the reporter knows something they didn't print. Otherwise most foreigners (other than the imported cheap laborers) are not covered by any scheme that Thailand is offering.  Maybe a "scheme" of an insurance company that may or may not pay and assuming that Covid-19 doesn't bankrupt the companies (who will then ask for a government bailout). If you are confident your insurance is going to cover you, I suggest you read the policy and look to see if "pandemics" are exclude as they are on some policies or if there is wording in your policy that will exclude Covid-19 related issue that the insurance company can somehow claim to be a pre-existing condition.  

It would be in the public interest to cover anyone who is ill in order to assuage the fears of individuals who would be financially crippled by a prolonged hospital stay and who would choose to remain in the public and actually pose a health risk as opposed to seeking care in a hospital.  But I doubt that will happen.  

8 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

The whole world needs to offer free healthcare for anyone who is infected with the Chinese virus. If anyone is to foot that bill it is China...the creators of this virus. Yes, they created this virus through their complete and utter disregard for sanitised market environments. This isn't even the first time this has happened either!

When the rest of the world had closed their borders for all Chinese end of Dec, probably nothing would have been spread outside China.

When in Italy the quarantine was followed up, and not as now: As open as an Emmenthaler cheese, with a TV crew from Slovenia in, , make a report and out again, with even on Dutch television Sat 22 Feb at 19:30 on screen, showing people from the quarantine area doing outside their area shopping, the virus would not have been spread so much.

3 hours ago, connda said:

This doesn't say a word about those foreigners, including expatriates, who are not covered by the state welfare scheme.  Cheap labor from Laos are covered as far as I can tell as they show up at our Amphur hospital to enroll.  No 'expat' that I'm aware of is covered by the 'state welfare scheme' unless the expat is a naturalize Thai citizen. 

So the article title is misleading unless the reporter knows something they didn't print. Otherwise most foreigners (other than the imported cheap laborers) are not covered by any scheme that Thailand is offering.  

I believe benefits under any of Thai schemes apply to foreigners enrolled, including the social security. The article isn’t precise and clear, i read it somewhere else previously, but could not find the source just now. If anyone can point us to clearer info would be appreciated. 

*If however the benefits and resources available under those schemes are sufficient is another question. 

On 3/19/2020 at 11:36 AM, webfact said:

Public officials, including nurses, medical scientists and technicians, will be eligible for a risk allowance of 1,000 baht per working shift of eight hours.

I see a huge and noisy thunderstorm on the horizon ....

On 3/19/2020 at 12:47 PM, bangkokbonecollector said:

The whole world needs to offer free healthcare for anyone who is infected with the Chinese virus. If anyone is to foot that bill it is China...the creators of this virus. Yes, they created this virus through their complete and utter disregard for sanitised market environments. This isn't even the first time this has happened either!

I rteally do wish I was as confident. I really do wish there was evidence.