Doctor Recommendation for High Cholesterol.

Thomas J

My fiance who is Thai just had a complete blood test.  She is only 48 about 44 KG and is fit and very active.  Despite that she must have familial predisposition for high cholesterol  Her first test came back at Total cholesterol of 315.  Thinking it might be a mistake we ran it again.  This time 289.  Her blood pressure was only a touch high.  Instead of just going to a hospital and taking whoever, does someone have a doctor they use with experience with cholesterol that they could suggest.  Thinking she probably should be on some cholesterol lowering medicine but I know many of the statin drugs also have some side effects that need to be monitored. 

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Where in Thailand are you?

Was only total cholesterol done or do you have LDL, HDL and triglyceride results? Full lipid panel sopuld be first step.

Sheryl

111.JPG

222.JPG

Edited by Thomas J

Just now, chickenslegs said:

This may be a daft question, but did she fast before the blood test?

My doctor recommends 12 hours of fasting and 24 hours without alcohol.

Yes she fasted for much more than 12 hours. 

It needs to be determined what is raising cholesterol.  As Sheryl says LDL vs HDL is important.  Yet there is more to the LDL numbers.  LDL is considered to be bad cholesterol however LDL can be further divided into Pattern A and Pattern B.  Pattern B which is large particles is considered to be very bad.

I am not sure if Pattern B analysis is available here.

People should not get freaked out about the total cholesterol number.  After all cholesterol is essential to bodily functions.

28 minutes ago, lujanit said:

It needs to be determined what is raising cholesterol

lujanit,

I am reasonably confident she has familial cholesterol   Her sister also has high cholesterol and the same thing.  Thai, very thin and does not eat red meats. 

Could be familial hypercholesterolmia

She needs to see an internist. In Pattaya where i gather you are, this doctor has been favorably recommended by other TV members

https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/doctor-profile?v_id=116&depid=16

She can get treatment for free through the government hospital where she is registered under the "30 baht" scheme, however this may be upcountry and now is nto the time to travel. So you might prefer to see the doctor above privately. Buy meds at an outside pharmacy. Some cardiac tests may be advised.