Trading the Thailand SET stock market

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at trading the SET in the near future.

Any information you have would be appreciated such as what your portfolio comprises of and your feelings.

Clearly the market is going through a massive dip at the moment and expect it to fall.

I would never recommend spread betting on the Thai market and its shares seem to be very volatile which gives you opportunities but often sorrows.

I have my Thai secretary trading the SET with 200,000 bt.

She was trading daily at one time, buying sudden falls on the basis of recovery.

he last year she seems to be holding onto shares that pay a dividend.

You will need open a brokerage account in Thailand. I use BLS as I Bank with Bangkok Bank. 

Visit your branch and ask see a manager for referral to the brokerage you wish use. They will do letter and application and forward (takes about 3 business days) 

Make sure provide a Line id and email address as the representatives don't speak great English. They will contact you to vet you on your experience and determine how much margin they will give you on the "collateral investment account". 

Once the account is open you must fund it - this may require you change you current savings To a version of the banks iBanking. Again limits of transfer are small so a visit to branch again to apply higher limits maybe required. (Increased mine to 100,000 / day)

Once the account is funded with cash you can research equities with a variety of tools. (Streaming - trade & research tool, iAlgo - complicated conditional trades)

I would suggest also registering with the SET so you can access company financial information and details on what kind of trading is allowed.  

I mostly use the "streaming app" and iAlgo for more complicated trades. 

Equity stocks are either full rights BBL-F or restricted NVDR meaning non voting dividend receiving symbol BBL-R

Full shares are or have no liquidity. The NVDR shares were established to encourage foreign investment and have more liquidity. 

Tutorials are in Thai for all applications so a helpful thai friend if you can't understand. 

The SET has good English language tutorials for about 60% of contents and financials. Are in English or Thai. 

Dividends are never paid directly in to the collateral account. They are taxed and paid to your bank account. Only one company currently offers dividend reinvestment. You should get a tax number (TIN). You can then recover some if not all the tax on dividends and declare the income in home country. 

Dividends are taxes @ 10%

Interest @ 15%

Capital gains are exempt. 

Your plan and risk profile will determine your appetite for investments. Proceed with caution. 

I own  bank, 2 telco's, 1 high tech and 1 hospital chain.

Best of luck. 

I am not an investment professional; consult your professional investment advisor and/or legal counsel and/or professional accountant before making any investment decision. While all reasonable effort is made to ensure the accuracy of information and data contained herein, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Past performance is not a good predictor of future performance. Results are not guaranteed and I assume no liability whatsoever for any material losses that may occur. No compensation for suggesting particular securities or financial advisors is solicited or accepted. The information in this document is not intended to be educational, nor does it constitute financial advice nor is it a suggestion or recommendation. Investing is risky and may result in substantial losses.~ oceanbluejewell

• Thanks 1