Installing True Wireless Router

sunshine13

I just signed up with True's new promotion where I get the Zayex(something like that) Wireless Router free. They came and installed the DSL cable line in my condo. The connection shows on my computer, put I cant get everything to work.

Note that I have a brand new laptop with a Lan Card and Wireless card and WIndows XP

First off, when I go to accessories, prompt, then type ipconfig, it shows that my IP addy is not in the .2 - .254 range that they say it must be in on the booklet. My IP addy ends in .34

I do not know how to change it or if this is a problem.

When I use the "router configeration" thingy from the disk it says "Your box should have these buttons lite up... Well, Internet is not lite up on mine, and it doesnt say how to get it working.

Finally, if I click Next anyways, it gives me the message "CHeck your IP address" which the book says means my login and password is incorrct even though i am 100% sure i am doing it right...

Does anyone know if True will come out and install it for you themselves?

Thanks if anyone can help it will be very much appreciated.

Had a very similar experience but with TOT who did come and install it (as the log on details i'd been given at the shop were wrong). He installed it, i could use the web but not email (had the wrong SMTL), in the end i had a several nigths of trial and error but fixed it by calling up a buddy with the same set-up who went through screen by screen.

Hi Sunshine13

this rings bells of the first setup I did when I got my TT&T maxnet setup with a Zxyel router. (same router ??)

The internet connections settings should be set up to automatically detect settings. BUT the first thing you have to do is type in the IP of the router - as given in the router docs - log into the router and change a couple of settings. I can't remember all of the details but it should be in your doc's.

TT&T used to say if you were haveing problems take your kit to their shop and they will set it up for you

hope this little helps

sinom

I just signed up with True's new promotion where I get the Zayex(something like that) Wireless Router free. They came and installed the DSL cable line in my condo. The connection shows on my computer, put I cant get everything to work.

Note that I have a brand new laptop with a Lan Card and Wireless card and WIndows XP

First off, when I go to accessories, prompt, then type ipconfig, it shows that my IP addy is not in the .2 - .254 range that they say it must be in on the booklet. My IP addy ends in .34

I do not know how to change it or if this is a problem.

When I use the "router configeration" thingy from the disk it says "Your box should have these buttons lite up... Well, Internet is not lite up on mine, and it doesnt say how to get it working.

Finally, if I click Next anyways, it gives me the message "CHeck your IP address" which the book says means my login and password is incorrct even though i am 100% sure i am doing it right...

Does anyone know if True will come out and install it for you themselves?

Thanks if anyone can help it will be very much appreciated.

Do you have a SP2 installed over your XP? That pack may invalidate whatever True has tested.

My take, forget wireless and go with the LAN cable.

go to connections ....start - connect to - show all connections

right click on your wireless icon and select properties

scroll down to TCP/IP

then properties

you will see several options through the tabs set them all to automatic, when finished your done there

next log into your router usually 192.168.1.1 enter the username and password (admin admin on mine) provided in documents, usually under menu - WAN advanced setup, find the menu where you enter a username and password, put in your provided info from isp

check you have dialtone on your phone and that it is noise free, make sure you have the router connected directly to the line and not through the filter, you should be good to go. you should see your router in your wifi search, connect to it.

some of the info I provided will be general

Edited by gharknes

I suspect that you're trying to set the router up using a wireless connection? It won't happen. The initial router setup needs to be done with your laptop plugged into the router via an ethernet cable.

I suspect that you're trying to set the router up using a wireless connection? It won't happen. The initial router setup needs to be done with your laptop plugged into the router via an ethernet cable.

Yes indeed this will happen with WIFI and WIFI is the best way to set these devices up in most cases.

Why? Most modem router wifi devices already come pre-configured to provide you via DHCP a full LAN address on wifi. So by connecting to the unit it will provide your notebook / PC or PDA with a LAN IP and also the LAN gateway details of your connection. This gateway is the IP address of your modem router wifi device you have just connected to. Whoes IP address can be different from the user manual, as we see often due to the techies of the ISP playing with them before you get them.

Now follow the details given above by gharknes.

The only other comments I would have is make sure you have your setting correct like the vpi/vci 0,100 the QoS set to LLC which should have been provided by TRUE. Also do not be in a hurry to bypass the ADSL filter as your phone will no longer work to the quality you expect, so make sure when you have it going you plug it back in line.

I always use a PDA to configure them via WIFI these days, as it saves lugging my notebook and cables all over the place.