Does this make sense

I am a sick 78 year old and am trying to observe the self isolate guidelines, Unfortunately next week I have to visit a crowded bank and a packed Jomtien immigration office twice to renew my retirement visa. Does this make sense.

• Like 1

Just now, chickenslegs said:

I have never used an agent, nor even considered using one. However, if I was 78 and sick right now, I would stay home and pay someone to do the renewal for me. 

I am seriously considering that. I will have all the necessary papers and bank letter so would I be able to get someone to go there for me without having to pay the high agent fee.

1 minute ago, lelapin said:

I am seriously considering that. I will have all the necessary papers and bank letter so would I be able to get someone to go there for me without having to pay the high agent fee.

I have no idea whether or not you could send someone else (not an agent) to submit your renewal application. Maybe someone else can answer.

If you go to immigration there is a risk you will infect others. Get a friend to go explain the situation to Immigration in advance. I am sure they will come up with a solution, probably give someone else power of attorney to do it for you.

A sick note from a doctor may be another way?

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration will allow somebody to do the extension for you with you written consent from you and a letter from a doctor stating you are unable to travel to do it yourself.

For getting the letter from the bank and etc it might require a power of attorney for someone to do it for you.

Banks are clean. They have all sorts of protocols in place.

Show up wearing a mask you'll be ok. I'd recommend you go to the most professional branch with the least volume.

Do so asap well before the first of the month or last working day before the end of the month.

IMO Bangkok bank, SCB, Krung Sri if you have options. Not K or Krung Thai.

Good luck old guy

PS don't go to immigration. Send an agent but just say you're old not you have covid!

Part of the issue at Jomtien Immigration office, is that people completely ignore the given instructions. I mean, just about everyone.

First of all, you are supposed to take a number and then wait outside maintaining distance. The numbers are called out over a Tannoy system and can be heard clearly outside.

But instead most people take a number and then wait inside, making for a lot of people sitting and standing around in close quarters. Complete idiots.

Then you have the people brushing against you in their panic, with no thought for an excuse me to give people time to move out of the way.

Then you have the people who don't bother to wear masks, but then want to ask the Immigration Officer questions whilst spitting all over the IO, completely oblivious to the IO recoiling in horror.

Added to that, rude old men fighting with each other when they should know better.

Then you have the people trying to enter the building through the exit, all to trying to gain an advantage.

Was really a most unsavoury experience. Showered before and immediately after the experience and bagged up the clothes I wore, for washing.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

If you go to immigration there is a risk you will infect others. Get a friend to go explain the situation to Immigration in advance. I am sure they will come up with a solution, probably give someone else power of attorney to do it for you.

A sick note from a doctor may be another way?

And if the friend you send to Immigration is infected......................?

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Why do so many people think a mask gives you any significant protection?

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Summary : Most people who are healthy do not need to use masks. To get the small extra benefit they provide, you need to replace them as soon as they get damp (in the humidity in Thailand, how long does that take?)

I wear masks in certain situations (although healthy) because other people want me to, but it provides you with little protection.

I very well may not but the people in the bank will be comforted by the effort.

Thanks for the lecture though

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

before making such a critical assessment have you contacted the immigration office to explain your circumstances and asked for their advice, or possible options, regarding what action they wish you to take?

these are unprecedented times we need to be proactive and we have to work together for the good of all, you would hope immigration would come up with a workable solution.

dont ask dont get. good luck.

Edited by samsensam

47 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Why do people keep repeating this nonsense?

Wearing a mask offers more protection than not wearing a mask. Tired of reading this oft repeated nonsense.

And many others are getting tired of people like you refusing to accept experts' advice which fails to coincide with your level of panic. Pull yer head in.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Why do people keep repeating this nonsense?

Wearing a mask offers more protection than not wearing a mask. Tired of reading this oft repeated nonsense.

The more protection, the better...within reason.

Well, at least you are not recommending people drink bleach as a cure. Nevertheless, the folks at the World Health Organisation (the link I provided), the Center for Disease Control and other such organisations really are better informed in such matters than you are. For your information, wearing a damp mask probably puts you at greater risk than wearing no mask at all.

• Like 1

Pitty this is Thailand, what they should do is postpone most of the business at immigration, no 90 day reporting , anyone who is not on overstating before 1at March no need to go for visa extension, retirement extension extended till this is over, the same with every government department.

Let as many prisoners out of jail that it is safe to do.

But this Thailand the land of no common sense.

59 minutes ago, spinner2020 said:

And many others are getting tired of people like you refusing to accept experts' advice which fails to coincide with your level of panic. Pull yer head in.

what experts would that be Mr google and his mate you tube? It's obvious if you have any mask on you cannot touch your mouth and nose with potentially infected hands, for that reason alone it;s worth wearing them. Also, there was a case of 15 people who contracted it on a bus in China, but only people without masks, up to you.

15 hours ago, treetops said:

My understanding is that wearing a mask also protects others from your potentially virus ridden spittle and thus should be encouraged.

This is where masks are really valuable. If you have any doubt about your own infection status, you should wear a mask in public (although you really should not be in public at all under those circumstances).

• Like 1