Where In World Is Cheapest Place To Live In ?

oMega69

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason that on the whole Thailand can make it difficult to get Visas and still be popular is because there isn't really any other place like it. You could try Malaysia, Phillipines or Vietnam/Cambodia, But you are likely to have problems in other areas that are worse than visa hassles.

I've heard the same too, the relative safety factor, the night-life (being drinking, partying and wenching), friendly natives and complete freedom of movement is Thailands selling point. Over-population / overcrowding with tourists and expats along with visa conundrums is not.

Expats I've spoken to, have pointed out areas in the world where some similarities are but not the whole caboodle package that thailand has.

It roughly went like this... Phillipines is the closest to rival Thailand in cheapness and the 'thai' factor, and some would argue PI is cheaper for some things like western goods (closer to USA etc), it has infrastructure. Local food is reputed to be a very aquired taste! Visa's are hassle free. Nightlife is reputed to be as good as Bangkok.

A lot more Wild West than Thailand is (which disturbingly seems to be following some western trends) but this comes with instability.

Next best place could possibly be South America. Venuzuala shows promise, although the ruling government isn't pro USA. The nightlife there is supposed to be excellent.

Another low-key place is supposed to be Belize, there (if you're British) you can get a visa easily and although its a small country the nightlife and lifestyle is supposed to be decent enough, cheapness, possibly close to what Thailand is right now. Just watch out for the seasonal storms!

Venezuela looked good when I spent a few weeks there, before coming to Thailand instead, in 2003. Just don't get involved in politics (we can't here, either). Beautiful bodies there. Belize had a reputation for high crime in Belize City, but that was long ago.

I agree pretty well with what you've said with a couple of comments. I'm not permanently based in Thailand, still weighing up the options, but if I was, unless the visa conditions made life impossible, I'd tend to ride it out a couple more years and see which way the wind blows.

I've heard the same too, the relative safety factor, the night-life (being drinking, partying and wenching), friendly natives and complete freedom of movement is Thailands selling point. Over-population / overcrowding with tourists and expats along with visa conundrums is not.

Over population / crowding with tourists obviously depends on where you settle. Where you settle depends on where you are comfortable. Infrastructure tends to be better in the tourist locations and also attracts the expat settlers and Thai workforce. So your choice is good infrastructure and crowds or basic infrastructure and peaceful lifestyle. Up 2 U as they say.

Expats I've spoken to, have pointed out areas in the world where some similarities are but not the whole caboodle package that thailand has.

It roughly went like this... Phillipines is the closest to rival Thailand in cheapness and the 'thai' factor, and some would argue PI is cheaper for some things like western goods (closer to USA etc), it has infrastructure. Local food is reputed to be a very aquired taste! Visa's are hassle free. Nightlife is reputed to be as good as Bangkok.

It has infrastructure. It has? What infrastructure there is is not to the standard of Thailand but it is slowly improving although what I saw of the "improvements" was little more than papering over the cracks. Power cuts/brown outs are still common. The local food is OK provided you know where to go and what to order. Even so the best PI food is little better than average street vendor Thai.

A lot more Wild West than Thailand is (which disturbingly seems to be following some western trends) but this comes with instability.

Agreed, the artillery packed by the security staff at Glorietta mall would support a small civil war.

Next best place could possibly be South America. Venuzuala shows promise, although the ruling government isn't pro USA. The nightlife there is supposed to be excellent.

Venezuela was my target home back in '91/'92 when I worked there. Had a new life planned with my gf and a good, well paid, job lined up then the government p1ssed on their chips economically and the whole lot went down the pan. :D I'd be wary about going there these days as Hugo Chavez is a bit of a loose cannon, very popular in S. America but you never know what his next move will be. Also very popular with the working class Venezolanos that form his political power base (along with the army of course :o Yes the nightlife is excellent and a lot of the women absolutely stunning. :D

Another low-key place is supposed to be Belize, there (if you're British) you can get a visa easily and although its a small country the nightlife and lifestyle is supposed to be decent enough, cheapness, possibly close to what Thailand is right now. Just watch out for the seasonal storms!

Never been to Belize but it sounds worth a shot.

Becuse the new Visa Law its time to relocated from Thailand !

I need some ides to countrys to move to whit okey living standards simular to here. . .

greatfull for all replys !

Anywhere that doesn't require a literacy check beforehand might do. :o

A very interesting topic.

I'd say nothing like my home town. :D

Road to the next town and city is reasonably fine. Occasional potholes are expected. Highway is basically empty with normal 4 lanes. All villages are connected at least by basic road. Basic amenities are acceptable, nearest government hospital, connected to the outside world through a reasonably good cyber cafe.

Home town is basically lifeless but small population have plenty of ideas and activities to occupy themselves with. There are a few nice forest/jungle recreational places as well as a wonderful beach...

Plenty of weird food to try... from the grubs, frogs, slugs to a wide variety of fruits you would not find elsewhere in the world... and maybe occasional wild game, seafood is cheap and fresh...

People are friendly, accommodating...

Oh well... Maybe not your cup of tea but I like it that way. :o

Does anyone tried China?

I would like to know how it is, lifestyle, food, farang welcome (?), strangers rights (?), nightlife...

I'm curious about with country.

I find China expensive (compare to living in Thailand ).

I was a tourist there, travel alone, plus travel with contact there.

Taxi / food / tourist place ( no dual price ) / hotel / disco all more expensive !

But worth the money, great experience and places to see.

Difficult to be stand alone in some part of China, train station is a nightmare, communication very difficult.

One of Thaivisa’s poster, have a link with living cost of different countries, but lost it.

Edited by simcity

Does anyone tried China?

I would like to know how it is, lifestyle, food, farang welcome (?), strangers rights (?), nightlife...

What I saw of China was very similar to Thailand. I spent a couple of weeks in Yunnan province, in the South West.

Cities were reasonably modern and clean, on par with (if not better) than anything in Thailand. Food was very tasty and incredibly cheap. Plenty of discos and pubs around, though most of the ones I saw weren't very good. Very nice looking girls, but not sure how "available" they are.

Most Chinese were very friendly. I didn't really see any other whiteys most of the time I was there, and as such people would often stare at me wherever I went. But more often than not they would smile when they stared, so it wasn't rude or awkward.

If Thailand bombs, China is very high on the list of possible alternatives. It's basically Thailand but on a massive scale, with cheaper food but without all the "professional" women.

I need some ides to countrys to move to whit okey living standards simular to here. . .

Can I suggest Iceland. I know somebody who went there once and never came back so it must be good.

Got some nice volcanoes and night life's great in Wreckyour-whatever and the booze is really expensive Might help "kmart" sort out his litracy problem too.

Andrew

Can I suggest Iceland. I know somebody who went there once and never came back so it must be good.

Got some nice volcanoes and night life's great in Wreckyour-whatever and the booze is really expensive Might help "kmart" sort out his litracy problem too.

Andrew

Iceland is incredibly expensive.

Anywhere that doesn't require a literacy check beforehand might do. :D

Andrew

No you may not!!! :D

beer at $20 pint is no joke and not the kind of place your average TV member would be happy... :o

As for China... yes it is fantastic, but food is awful compared to Thailand, very, very cheap though! And if you are looking to pick up a girl in China, don't go to a bar, get a haircut... for real!! :D

Belize is beautiful but very poor, and within 10 minutes of arriving in Belize city I was mugged... bad rep is deserved.

Edited by ourmanflint

Road to the next town and city is reasonably fine. Occasional potholes are expected. Highway is basically empty with normal 4 lanes. All villages are connected at least by basic road. Basic amenities are acceptable, nearest government hospital, connected to the outside world through a reasonably good cyber cafe.

Home town is basically lifeless but small population have plenty of ideas and activities to occupy themselves with. There are a few nice forest/jungle recreational places as well as a wonderful beach...

Plenty of weird food to try... from the grubs, frogs, slugs to a wide variety of fruits you would not find elsewhere in the world... and maybe occasional wild game, seafood is cheap and fresh...

Trinidad? Mauritius?

Anywhere that doesn't require a literacy check beforehand might do. :D

Andrew

Sounds great Andrew! However, I don't really have any "litracy" problems. Thanks. :o

I've been to Belized twice for a total of 6 weeks. Looked into getting a 2nd home type of place on Amergris Caye, which is probably the most populated beach location. It is nowhere near as cheap as Thailand. There is nothing to do. There is nothing to buy - no books, no cds, no clothes outside of t-shirts, no electronics. In this area there is not even one paved road. Golf carts are the main form of transportaion as they limit the amount of cars allowed. They are expensive, electricity for aircon will cost you as much as an avg. house rental in major cities in Thailand. There is hardly any food choices in markets, and it is expensive, restuarants are expensive. There is no massage, spas, golf or sports outside of diving. Traveling inside the country is difficult and mostly accomplished by 4 seater aircraft. There is a lot of crime.

It is beautiful and a wonderful vacation but in my opinion a very difficult place to live.

I agree with MTW about Belize, I was treated to a trip there last August. Very expensive on the islands, although I have a few friends who have bought property there anyways. They're into fishing and beer, lots of both down there. Absolutley fantastic diving and deep sea fishing. The reef is second only to the Great barrirer reef in size (so they say). I imagine the mainland is considerably cheaper. Better access to goods.

Ya don wanna be crossin da locals mahn, you'll be gutted sure.

Does anyone tried China?

I find China expensive (compare to living in Thailand ).

I was a tourist there, travel alone, plus travel with contact there.

Taxi / food / tourist place ( no dual price ) / hotel / disco all more expensive !

But worth the money, great experience and places to see.

Difficult to be stand alone in some part of China, train station is a nightmare, communication very difficult.

One of Thaivisa’s poster, have a link with living cost of different countries, but lost it.

Why, here it is:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...54992&st=15

I had it bookmarked, how about that?

Ok , here a few possibilities :

Brazil: Florianopolis (man I like this place..whohoo)

Bali

Argentina

The cheapest i think is Bali

I gotta tell you although the current situation here in Thailand is not affecting me atm, good feelings are gone! :o and I' m really considering an alternative.

I've beeen studying Thai since the first day I came here about 3 years ago, and now I begin to think it's been a waste of time...

Edited by KhunMarco

Does anyone tried China?

The OP is looking for an alternative for Thailand.

China, as an alternative, doesn't fit in many ways. It's a beautiful country but huge and not really a holiday destination for Farang, apart from the many cultural sights. I suppose everybody knows what I mean.

Chinese people in the cities, from Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou and many others are very friendly but the major problem is that almost nobody speaks a bit of English, apart from the staff in 'Western' Hotels; in restaurants and shops it's a big problem.

There's only one main tourist location with nice beaches, hotels etc. and that's Hainan island, east of Northern Vietnam, with Sanya in the south of Hainan as the main tourist destination. Tourists are mainly Chinese and also Russian and some Farang.

In comparison to Thailand it's a bit dull apart from the language problems.

If you're looking for the 'Thai' style nightlife...forget it.

The restaurants in the cities are empty by 9.00PM...and I mean empty!

Friends of mine are going (july) to:

Pipa - Natal -Tibau do Sul in Brasil.............. North Eastern coast of Brasil.

link to images:

http://images.google.com/images?q=pipa+bra...;um=1&hl=en

anybody been there ? :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

you need to face facts my friend,

and the fact is that there is no other place on this planet that can offer over all what the mighty los can offer. :D

its simply a no brainer, and all the things some punters say about going to cambodia, malaysia, vietnam and all these other places is bollicks. :o

ive been to them all and even though the los is not perfect, she is a cracker of a joint if you know the go and respect the law's and people.

there are so many positives about thailand that they outway the negatives in so many ways.

as far as people leaving because los is going to implode :D i wish them a very speedy exit and they will not be missed. :D

bye bye you big bad punters.

thank you very much. :D

Maybe if you took the time to read this thread you'd realize nobody said Thailand is going to implode, and asking for an alternative doesn't mean you hate Thailand eh?

Lol, can I keep the ball when I go home? :o

hey marco,

i know you dont hate thailand and was only asking a question, but its been asked a thousand times before in a thousand different ways.

its usually asked by someone that has spat out there dummy because of visa issue's, been ripped off by someone or generally is a a sad bas-ard. :D

anyway mate,

dont worry about it as los is the place, so im saving you all the hard work of thinking about your question. :D

and yes,

you can keep your <deleted> ball when you go home. :D

thank you very much. :D

Trinidad? Mauritius?

Hardly. That would be in Borneo. :D Unless you are not comfortable going to the long residential building being stared by the smoked skulls, then it's not your cup of tea. :D That's where people can party like there's no tomorrow with their local blue flame brew.

if Quality women is high on the agenda then look no further than Korea. Bit more expensive though - but the night life is good and the foods not bad.

South Korea ?? I worked there for six LONG weeks and was very happy to get back to Thailand. The money was great, the kimchee edible, everything VERY expensive. The people are more nationalistic that anywhere I have ever been. If you are in need of companionship, you better have VERY deep pockets. I was polite declining the offer to return to work. Some of the women are attractive but no where near as common there as here.